Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol it won't be a 'minor inconvenience '. Are people willing to not get to Glastonbury to support the strike?

There already many alternative modes of transport available. There will also be trains running on other days.

Its highly unlikely that anybody would have no means of getting to the site as a result of the strike. People are already rallying around supporting each other with offers of alternative transport, accommodation etc.

But yes, if it was a choice between me getting to go on holiday, or a person getting to keep their job, there’s no question. It’s peoples livelihoods! 

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

I am CS and not had a pay rise in 3 years. My dept is under threat from the 91000 reduction requirement BoJo and JRM have announced. We aren't covered by a union so won't be striking but are still nervous about the future. 

Can you not join one being CS?  Ever thought about Prospect?

Slight ballache as we have a train to Bristol booked on 21st (for See coach Wed morning) but National Express have plenty of options on Tuesday so have grabbed a couple of seats just in case. Hope it's resolved, job safety agreed and the strike cancelled but if not, then this: 

1 hour ago, dogeggs said:

Any Bristolians out there that have good knowledge of long stay parking in the city? Looks like we might need to park up from Tuesday 21st til Tuesday 28th. The NCP option at £180 feels like a bit of a joke....

Hi mate, why not try a couple of the apps where you pay to park on someone's drive?

I use Justpark and pay about a fiver to pay on a drive all day near Salford Quays where they charge about 20 quid for the day in official parking

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Hi mate, why not try a couple of the apps where you pay to park on someone's drive?

I use Justpark and pay about a fiver to pay on a drive all day near Salford Quays where they charge about 20 quid for the day in official parking

This. I used yourparking.co.uk..... got a space in central Bristol for 6 days for £53

19 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

There already many alternative modes of transport available. There will also be trains running on other days.

Its highly unlikely that anybody would have no means of getting to the site as a result of the strike. People are already rallying around supporting each other with offers of alternative transport, accommodation etc.

But yes, if it was a choice between me getting to go on holiday, or a person getting to keep their job, there’s no question. It’s peoples livelihoods! 

I've booked a cheap hotel in Brum on Tuesday night to in case I think it's best to stay over to make sure I'm there OK for my Weds morning coach.  I was already having to leave at 8.30 on Weds to get the train for Brum and am not convinced that will be unaffected, nor any earlier one.  I reckon I can persuade my son to give me a lift into Brum on Tuesday evening if need be.  The hotel can be cancelled for free up to a couple of days before if the strike is off or I think I can travel in on Wednesday. 

28 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

Slight ballache as we have a train to Bristol booked on 21st (for See coach Wed morning) but National Express have plenty of options on Tuesday so have grabbed a couple of seats just in case. Hope it's resolved, job safety agreed and the strike cancelled but if not, then this: 

Same here. Yes it's a ball ache (or more of a tit ache for me), but I work in the public sector so I know what it's like to have pay freezes and job cuts.

(Also, even if I didn't have that experience I'd like to think I'd have some empathy, I'm not a fucking Tory.)

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Part of the reason thatcher got in the 80s was because of too many strikes over unrealistic pay demands 

Maybe have some critical thinking over the situation?

Are you Jacob Rees Mogg?

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Loool

I'm anti tory

But I'm not just going to go along with bullshit strikes without reason 

Eh? You must be bored to carry this on for this long? 

Pay freezes, cost of living increases, threats to job security. It’s ok though as zahidf thinks they’re not a  good enough reason 

6 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Eh? You must be bored to carry this on for this long? 

Pay freezes, cost of living increases, threats to job security. It’s ok though as zahidf thinks they’re not a  good enough reason 

Sounds like every other industry

Also none of that is confirmed. This is a preemptive strike

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Loool

I'm anti tory

But I'm not just going to go along with bullshit strikes without reason 

Theres a big difference between not going along with something and outright launching abuse at people who do.

Just out of interest, are you in support of literally 1000s of key workers losing their jobs while shareholders take home almost £1 Billion??

600 tube staff, 2500 network rail staff, 100s - 1000s of station staff. The lack of care for fellow human beings is staggering

• Upvote 1