Glastonbury "Jetlag" tips?

moogster

Some of us (ok, me) are not as young as they used to be anymore and are quite set in their circadian rhythms.

This means that in June, I'll be awake at 6 am, working at 7 am, and sound asleep by 11 pm. One hour less at UK time, that's 5 AM. This is kind of the opposite of Glasto's circadian rhythm. I may get an couple of hours reprieve from a bit of boozing/coffee/physical exhaustion/eye mask/earplugs but not the shift I'd want. 

How do you deal with that? (Preferably without illegal substances)

im generally fairly decent at trying to pop in a little nap here and there - and at fear of labouring an oft-made point on this forum, the fresh n black tents are an absolute gamechanger for sleeping in a tent, as they dont become boiling bloody hot at 7am as the sun hits! you can sleep late, have a quick hour's nap at 2pm, and ensure that staying up for that 3am Truth stage set is quite achievable and wont irrevocably break you. recommended. 

i travel extensively for work all over the world and sometimes multiple timezones in a couple of weeks. 

i always do my best to get on the right time zone on day 1 by staying up as late as possible (to get on the time frame I want) you should stay hydrated throughout the first day and rest as your body tells you but dont sleep too much out of the cycle you want 

I always find the first day the hardest and if you get through that you are on a winner.

Glasto is much the same. push the first day to its max, lie in even if you are wide awake and take the second day easy.

OR...just crack on and dont worry 😀

No answers I'm afraid as my usual Glastonbury state veers between "no sleep yet...this is amazing and I'm staying" to a massive FOMO-induced "ffs wake up and get moving or I'll miss [insert various unrealistic but 'unmissable' clashfinder choices]". And repeat. 

27 minutes ago, moogster said:

With all this Fresh and Black talk and its advantages  on the forum it's making me reconsider the worthy view option for the future...! 
Any best non-tent nap spots you'd recommend? Greenfields I guess?

I'm a big fan of the hill above the Park for a doze. Acoustic field can be nice too.

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'm a big fan of the hill above the Park for a doze. Acoustic field can be nice too.

I went for a nap in an empty tent in the Healing Fields on Sunday 2019, and woke up surrounded by people doing laughter yoga. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drunk pumpkin said:

i travel extensively for work all over the world and sometimes multiple timezones in a couple of weeks. 

i always do my best to get on the right time zone on day 1 by staying up as late as possible (to get on the time frame I want) you should stay hydrated throughout the first day and rest as your body tells you but dont sleep too much out of the cycle you want 

I always find the first day the hardest and if you get through that you are on a winner.

Glasto is much the same. push the first day to its max, lie in even if you are wide awake and take the second day easy.

OR...just crack on and dont worry 😀

Ohh don’t agree, don’t go to mad on the Wednesday as you’ll be drinking all day and nothing much is open anyway, bed by 1 and a good 6 hopefully 7 hours sleep then it sets you up for rest of weekend.

My nap during the vampire weekend park set last year really helped as well

i also favour the greenfields nap, and have quite happily dozed in the corner of yoga - i would normally take part in a session first so they know i'm not just there to sleep! Yoga always relaxes me so its natural to fancy a little sleep afterwards.

the story tents by permaculture are a regular little nap spot for me, and glasto latino during the day can be quiet and comfy as well. Anywhere thats cosy and reasonably soft is likely to have me napping 😄 There's not a whole lot of fields i havnt kipped in, pyramid/other/west holts/park/JP/acoustic have all been ticked off, i need to go to avalon now too! 

Edited by balti-pie

Take off your shoes and your socks then walk around on the rug bare foot and make fists with your toes. I know, I know, it sounds crazy. Trust me, I've been doing it for nine years. Yes sir, better than a shower and a hot cup of coffee.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Sadly I can give no tips I am a slave to my circadian rhythms and a really awful sleeper to boot so cannot nap during the day. Luckily for me apart from the very odd 3am Truth stage set that I would be interested in most of the other night time activities don't massively appeal to me so I accept that I am an early morning Glastonbury riser and make the most of those early morning sets that lots of other people miss. 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

With all this Fresh and Black talk and its advantages  on the forum it's making me reconsider the worthy view option for the future...! 

When I stayed in a Glastonbury Bell at WP last year, it was made out of thick enough material that I didn't overheat particularly in the morning.  It's not as dark as a F&B, but nowhere near as bright as a normal tent.

Sunlight is really important for circadian rhythms, and obviously festival time is when days are at their longest. Try to avoid sunlight early in the day (or at least wear shades), and get as much of it as you can later on.

Exercising later in the day also helps shift your bodyclock to be alert later.

For an immediate fix, in the absence of illegal substances, caffeine is pretty damn effective.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sunlight is really important for circadian rhythms, and obviously festival time is when days are at their longest. Try to avoid sunlight early in the day (or at least wear shades), and get as much of it as you can later on.

Exercising later in the day also helps shift your bodyclock to be alert later.

For an immediate fix, in the absence of illegal substances, caffeine is pretty damn effective.

I tend to be lazy with wearing shades because of the logistics of it (very near sighted, no contacts, carrying two pairs) but will definitely consider that as a reason to wear some! Thanks!

1 hour ago, moogster said:

If you take the path from Avalon into West Holts, there is a patch of grass with some trees that is a nice, quiet, shady spot for an afternoon nap.  Most years I'll find my way there at some point because I've overdone it on the daytime drinking and need to sleep it off before I become a state and ruin my evening.

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

Ohh don’t agree, don’t go to mad on the Wednesday as you’ll be drinking all day and nothing much is open anyway, bed by 1 and a good 6 hopefully 7 hours sleep then it sets you up for rest of weekend.

My nap during the vampire weekend park set last year really helped as well

I don't think the idea is to go mad - just try to stay up+sleep in  as late as you can.  We're talking more cola* than rum to get there.

* I'm sure coke would be fine too.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

If you take the path from Avalon into West Holts, there is a patch of grass with some trees that is a nice, quiet, shady spot for an afternoon nap.  Most years I'll find my way there at some point because I've overdone it on the daytime drinking and need to sleep it off before I become a state and ruin my evening.

Hasn't that path disappeared with the relocation of Glasto Latino?

Edited by BluePaul
Bloody spell check

4 hours ago, moogster said:

If it's dry and sunny, shade of the Circus tent.20190628_154345.thumb.jpg.fb4bc81623316b5be5b806a090e42223.jpg

4 hours ago, moogster said:

Some of us (ok, me) are not as young as they used to be anymore and are quite set in their circadian rhythms.

This means that in June, I'll be awake at 6 am, working at 7 am, and sound asleep by 11 pm. One hour less at UK time, that's 5 AM. This is kind of the opposite of Glasto's circadian rhythm. I may get an couple of hours reprieve from a bit of boozing/coffee/physical exhaustion/eye mask/earplugs but not the shift I'd want. 

How do you deal with that? (Preferably without illegal substances)

I’m relieved to hear of others like me. I properly start the Glastonbury day before most do, and check an act out that’s first on somewhere, wander round the site before it’s too manic, and enjoy the experience greatly. I’ve got past the stage of staying up really late just for the sake of it. So for better or worse I’ll mainly stick with what I’m comfortable with. 

Just enjoy your self and sleep when you need to, don’t put too much pressure on yourself to do things you’ve intended to do if your body isn’t up for it, remember it’s a break from reality so if that means taking time to chill and sleep then so be it