Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, incident said:

It's nowhere near as extreme as that.

Here's an overhead of Lime Kiln, taken on the Friday in 2019:

image.png.5161409cc2abf192970928c62df51579.png

You could set up just about as many tents as someone realistically wanted there, within 5 minutes walk from JP/Woods and conservatively 10 minutes to the Pyramid/Silver Hayes.

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!! .....SHUSH! It's a secret! 😆

Edited by Beaver89
clarity
  • Upvote 1

Just now, gigpusher said:

True apart from 2017 for me that Glastonbury had magic fairy dust on for me.  Every choice I made was right, the weather was perfect. It was the Glastonbury of dreams. 

That’s the same for me regarding 2017, weirdly as well I was looking through my videos and photos this morning, and I came across a compilation one for 2017 and watching it back I think I actually had a better time than I even remember I had!

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Glastonbury you actually have is always worse than the Glastonbury you think you will have or the Glastonbury you remember you had. Anticipation is sky high before and memory filters out all the shit bits afterwards. No-one ever has as good a Glastonbury as they expect or remember.

Like summers when you were a kid.

I got carried away and went far in too hard on the 'specials' on the Thursday night in 2017 and as a result really struggled to get going on the Friday, the first band I watched were Royal Blood at gone 5.30pm after I had forced some dinner down.

There were a good 6 hours in that daytime of me feeling like absolute shit and not wanting to be there, but of course when I came back I told everyone what a great time I'd had throughout the whole weekend!

Just now, Quark said:

I'm sticking with the memory filter part 😉

No honestly all the way through the festival we kept saying this is utterly perfect. We didn't come across any dickheads in the crowd, our food choices were perfect, really happy even when we watched tv footage afterwards that we had seen great acts.  My one thing that I thought I messed up was deciding to stop because we were a bit knackered on Saturday afternoon and spending a wonderful few hours watching some random but enjoyable acts at the Summerhouse instead of going to see Toots and the Maytals only to find out they hadn't arrived on stage afterwards. Honestly it was a sickeningly perfect festival that I suspect I will never recreate. 

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Glastonbury you actually have is always worse than the Glastonbury you think you will have or the Glastonbury you remember you had. Anticipation is sky high before and memory filters out all the shit bits afterwards. No-one ever has as good a Glastonbury as they expect or remember.

Funny that, because every year I come back thinking "that's it, I'm done. Too knackering, too many idiots, can't hack it anymore..." but the stuff that causes those feelings quickly fades and before I know it I'm raring to get back.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I vividly remember a red double decker bus from 15 to 20 years ago where they had a full sized jacuzzi on the lower deck.😊

15 / 20 years ago this was likely considred ironic; a piss take. Today it would be considred an glamping option 😉

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

This is a great point. I'm guilty of over-romanticising the place and the experience. Don't get me wrong, it's without doubt the best week of the year but whereas in my mind's eye it's sunsets, long grass and boundless energy, the reality - at times - can be different. Still, bring on those sunsets...

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Funny that, because every year I come back thinking "that's it, I'm done. Too knackering, too many idiots, can't hack it anymore..." but the stuff that causes those feelings quickly fades and before I know it I'm raring to get back.

Yeah there's a good reason, or actually many good reasons, people only do one big fest a year. It's an amazing thing to do that takes a big physical (not to mention financial) toll. My near constant neck/shoulder pain of five days standing and camping doesn't factor into my amazing memories but it'll be a key souvenir for at least a week after getting home. 

I have tickets to Glastonbury and Boomtown this year and I'm wondering if I've bitten off too much. 

3 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

This is just good old fashioned British moaning, nothing controversial here!!  They get at least c.90% right, which given the scale of the beast, is pretty impressive! 

Perhaps rename the thread, ‘Minor things we’d like them to change’ 😂

I'd rather think up things I like that lots of people seem to complain about.

For instance, Other Stage headliners are often the best place in the entire festival at that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

"Said play with my pussy, but don't play with my 'motions ('motions)
If you spend some money, then maybe I just might fuck ya (fuck ya)" - Rules, Doja Cat

"Call me Gunshot Mike or Mr Skeng
Check one-two-one man skitzed again
Dickhead you and a dickhead crew
Getting gassed up by your dickhead friends" - Mr. Skeng, Stormzy

Crass and violent lyrics are messages that aren't consistent with the Glastonbury ethos...

You could go through loads of other genres and find lyrics worse than that...

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This is a great point. I'm guilty of over-romanticising the place and the experience. Don't get me wrong, it's without doubt the best week of the year but whereas in my mind's eye it's sunsets, long grass and boundless energy, the reality - at times - can be different. Still, bring on those sunsets...

It really is the elephant in the room when we rattle on about the place. But yep, I'm still going back!

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I think people in general now want as many creature comforts from home at festivals, I'm now 40 and I take an inflatable mattress, pillow and a camping chair (which stays at the campsite) with me...things that I didn't take when I was in my mid 20s and when I started doing festivals in my late teens, didn't exist.

I think a lot people go to festivals for different reasons now, it used to be as you say to disconnect from the outside world and go back to basics and not hear about anything for a while.  Sadly, the world has changed and people want to have the experience of getting high on booze and drugs, watch some bands whilst also living in relative comfort at their chosen camping spot, whilst also being chained to their phones for the most part.

Comfort aside, that's why I started going in my teens, 25 years ago.

4 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

You could go through loads of other genres and find lyrics worse than that...

That kindly old chap headlining the Pyramid on Saturday was involved in the creation of this...

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end, little girl
Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When did he say that?

I think it would defiantly start to put people off if he or Emily pushed that as the prices they charge for WV/Sticklinch are very eye watering.

It was ages ago, when Worthy View was relatively new. I think he probably knows it's not really viable unless they find ways to keep the ticket price stable at the same time. 

This is the best source I can find, I can't find the original BBC interview quoted. https://www.agreenerfestival.com/agfblog/glastonbury-flags-up-dumped-tents-issue/

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

That kindly old chap headlining the Pyramid on Saturday was involved in the creation of this...

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am
Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead

I could be a killer, gonna get you whacked
One, two, three, four, five in the back 

That's a lyric by Inhaler but you don't see anyone complaining. Really hate when people cherry pick music lyrics to try and make a point over a genre they dislike

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

It was ages ago, when Worthy View was relatively new. I think he probably knows it's not really viable unless they find ways to keep the ticket price stable at the same time. 

This is the best source I can find, I can't find the original BBC interview quoted. https://www.agreenerfestival.com/agfblog/glastonbury-flags-up-dumped-tents-issue/

I don't I wouldn't bother going if I had to pay £300+ on top of the ticket price just to camp there.

I have my own tent, which I take home with me and take to multiple other festivals!

1 minute ago, NoBuses said:

I could be a killer, gonna get you whacked
One, two, three, four, five in the back 

That's a lyric by Inhaler but you don't see anyone complaining. Really hate when people cherry pick music lyrics to try and make a point over a genre they dislike

It's always a specific genre these criticisms are aimed at.

Wonder why...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I don't I wouldn't bother going if I had to pay £300+ on top of the ticket price just to camp there.

I have my own tent, which I take home with me and take to multiple other festivals!

Yeah, that's why you keep picking on those of us who are older and weaker than you 😭

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

This is the first camping festival we're doing without kids since 2014. I've spent YEARS doing multiple trips to-from the car with loads of stuff and have spent a disproportionate number of hours queuing up for drinks/ice creams/face painting etc. I've booked WV as a bit of a treat having done 3) odd festivals absolutely grafting. I would save at least £300 with the kids not coming, so I won't miss the money! Furthermore, I can only arrive on Thursday so don't want the stress of trying to find somewhere. Also, leaving on a Monday won't be a ballache. 

Edited by David_303

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a subset of their fans that think it’s amusing to throw glass bottles in the air while in a packed crowd. You can usually spot them as they’re wearing coke spoons around their neck. 

I know a lot of people partake in a little fun stuff during the festival but be a little less blatant about what you’re doing. 

I like the music, just not a fan of the crowd that comes along with it. 

That’s being a dickhead. Dickheads aren’t exclusive to sets of fans, people from certain parts of the U.K or even drug takers. Give it a rest and get over yourself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4