People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

I struggle to comprehend this. They were on site@ Glasto but rather than incorporate themselves they watched it on TV?! 

Not quite in the same category but I was once at a festival where The Killers were headlining. They aren't really for us so we came back to our tent for late night supplies and the Killers fans in Killers t-shirts were sat round their tent next to ours singing along to a Killers CD.

Kind of on this topic, but has anyone ever judged anyone totally wrong before? In 2016 our mate brought his girlfriend and her friend, they both got tickets in the resale last minute whereas the main group had been many times.

they seemed nice but then spent 2 hours getting ready in the tent on Wednesday afternoon whilst we were wanting to all go and do our usual lap, dressed like they were trying to impress on big night out and for the Instagram photos. I remember saying to my mate at the time they are going to hate this festival especially as it was 2016 and the mud was such a factor. I’m so glad I was wrong and am actually disappointed in myself for having that opinion, by the Friday the spending time to get ready had all disappeared and they were great fun to hang around with for the whole weekend. I don’t think they ever returned but then my mate and the girl split up so you never know.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Nah, the decision to stop was his alone I believe. ‘Just give it a break for a year or so, then come back on my own one day’ was what he said at first if I remember, but that was back around 2014/15.

Other stuff happened at home for him, they’re happy with a kid now. I think he’s probably just moved on from it all. But if he’s like me - he won’t ever say never. 

That said, I try not to ask - or bring it up just incase it bums him out or comes across like I’m rubbing his face in it. Likewise I don’t think I’d want to hear that he’s hung his wellies up for good. I think we’re both content thinking ‘one day maybe he’ll be back’.

Ask

28 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Someone we were with, way back,  got wasted and could not be bothered to go out and he watched the headliner on TV in his camper whilst also hearing it through the open window, camping in T&C

Heh. 😅

23 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Kind of on this topic, but has anyone ever judged anyone totally wrong before? In 2016 our mate brought his girlfriend and her friend, they both got tickets in the resale last minute whereas the main group had been many times.

they seemed nice but then spent 2 hours getting ready in the tent on Wednesday afternoon whilst we were wanting to all go and do our usual lap, dressed like they were trying to impress on big night out and for the Instagram photos. I remember saying to my mate at the time they are going to hate this festival especially as it was 2016 and the mud was such a factor. I’m so glad I was wrong and am actually disappointed in myself for having that opinion, by the Friday the spending time to get ready had all disappeared and they were great fun to hang around with for the whole weekend. I don’t think they ever returned but then my mate and the girl split up so you never know.

Yea I have had that as well, try not to have first impressions but we do. The couple in question would also take a while to get ready, but also as informed by the young lady they also had to have sex regularly. 

I have had the opposite as well and just didn't want to be around someone after the second day, constant moaning, the weather, too far to walk etc and bragging that they weren't doing any work, when we all were. They got given the ticket to come work with us

Along the lines of watching on TV, this is not really related to this thread but I found it funny all the same, we got caught up at WH watching Jeff Goldblum and were late to Kyle. Obviously the field was rammed, so we slowly made our way up the right hand side of the pyramid along the food traders if you’re walking away from the Pyramid. Towards the top right hand corner of the pyramid field (facing away) was a guy holding a webcam above his head like a periscope, whilst watching the footage on an iPad! Each to their own but it seemed totally pointless to me.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Semi-relevent, but 2007 managed to decimate our regular group,  they had been for probably 4 or 5 before that but they really struggled with that festival. Even those that did come back needed a few years break. I came back the next year and had a great time. You can't judge it on one wet year (however bad). It was my wife's first glasto and I think her energy and excitement really helped me because it was all new for her. 

4 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Semi-relevent, but 2007 managed to decimate our regular group,  they had been for probably 4 or 5 before that but they really struggled with that festival. Even those that did come back needed a few years break. I came back the next year and had a great time. You can't judge it on one wet year (however bad). It was my wife's first glasto and I think her energy and excitement really helped me because it was all new for her. 

I could kind of understand if someone's first experience was one of the ones that even regulars acknowledge being a bit of a horror show someone not coming back. I mean it's not a cheap do and if you don't have the great years to compare it to you can see why you might consider it too big a risk. I am actually incredibly impressed when people's first one is one of the bad ones and they still come back. 

• Like 1

I know quite a few people that are less bothered about tickets than maybe 5 years ago. 
Common themes: It’s massive, it’s 5 days of precious annual leave, getting more expensive, exhausting, if the weathers bad then it’s a real slog.

It’s not like I’m going to stop trying to get tickets but I don’t put in as much effort as I used to.
If I was only going to go to one festival a year I’d go to Shambala. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I am actually incredibly impressed when people's first one is one of the bad ones and they still come back. 

My first was 2007.  I took the view that if I could deal with that, I could deal with anything the festival threw at me.  Been every year since, luckily.

• Like 1

Took a friend in 2011, my first trip back since the 90's so a lot had changed even for me.  Obviously 2011 wasn't the greatest with the weather and I think the rain walking in first thing set the tone.  I think it was just a bit too much as she's someone who suffers from anxiety and generally some of the stages/crowds just put her off. 

I have recently mentioned it and she is keen to possibly try it again.  I guess if the weather is good like say 2019 its a different experience.  I'm sure if it's a wet/muddy one this year some of the people I'm going with who've only experienced warm/hot/dry Glasto's might look at it differently.  

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Along the lines of watching on TV, this is not really related to this thread but I found it funny all the same, we got caught up at WH watching Jeff Goldblum and were late to Kyle. Obviously the field was rammed, so we slowly made our way up the right hand side of the pyramid along the food traders if you’re walking away from the Pyramid. Towards the top right hand corner of the pyramid field (facing away) was a guy holding a webcam above his head like a periscope, whilst watching the footage on an iPad! Each to their own but it seemed totally pointless to me.

We were meeting up with some friends for the Manic Street Preachers into Pixes double header on the Other Stage in 2014....it was decided to meet at their camp then head over as they were camped close by. 

Got to their camp and thought one one was there, after a few seconds one of them popped their head out of their tent and said 'alright mate we wont' be a minute or two'. 

Now, knowing them quite well I thought they must have been racking up some drugs ready for the night out and I thought 'if there's a line going spare I want some' but when I put my head into the tent rather than finding powder all over the place, I found four of them lying on the floor all cuddled up in their sleeping bags like some sort of teenage girls pyjama party and at the other end propped up on a cool box was an iPad and they had been watching Brazil v Chile in the World Cup which had gone to penalties! 😄 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

My first was 2007.  I took the view that if I could deal with that, I could deal with anything the festival threw at me.  Been every year since, luckily.

If you survived that as a first and came back then you knew you had the bug!! 

Mrs J's first year was 2011, we weren't long dating at the time (technically our first trip away together). I had a ticket before we had even met and she managed to get a coach ticket in the resale and was excited to come. She was game for it but nervous as she had never done a festival before and was unsure how she would cope without her home comforts. Her family were actually taking bets amongst themselves on how long it would take for her to break and leave...

Didn't get off to the best of starts on the Wednesday, her coach was late, then got lost which lead to her getting to site alone much later than me (I had booked a National Express with the idea of us arriving on site at roughly the same time). I had put the tent up alone in the pissing rain on my own and wasn't in a great mood. We had a walk around the site that evening and she was overwhelmed by it all, the size, the people, the toilets... she even said to me "I don't think I can do this for five days..." We went back to the tent and spoke, I said she was welcome to leave if she wanted to, but I suggested that she slept on it and re-evaluated in the morning. It was genuinely touch and go overnight whether she would have walked or not. I didn't push her one way or the other, didn't get arsey with her, I just suggested that if she left without at least seeing what the site had to offer she may end up regretting it. One of her biggest concerns was the toilets, she's a bit of a clean freak and the thought of the toilets freaked her out, I explained that the long drops were infinitely better than portaloos and she should always go for them, going to the loo is such a tiny part of the day it shouldn't affect how you enjoy yourself.

Next day (Thursday) she agreed to a walk around site and I took her up to the Park, then the Green Fields then T&C... the magic of the place seemed to wash over her and we ended that night getting absolutely twatted at Guilty Pleasures in WG. From that point the deal was sealed, she absolutely loved the rest of the weekend and didn't even mention the toilets once.

This year will be the first festival she has missed since, and that is only because we can't get childcare (she's taking one for the time). We still laugh about how close she came to sacking the whole thing off, what she would have missed out on and how different things might have been had she bailed.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Mrs J's first year was 2011, we weren't long dating at the time (technically our first trip away together). I had a ticket before we had even met and she managed to get a coach ticket in the resale and was excited to come. She was game for it but nervous as she had never done a festival before and was unsure how she would cope without her home comforts. Her family were actually taking bets amongst themselves on how long it would take for her to break and leave...

Didn't get off to the best of starts on the Wednesday, her coach was late, then got lost which lead to her getting to site alone much later than me (I had booked a National Express with the idea of us arriving on site at roughly the same time). I had put the tent up alone in the pissing rain on my own and wasn't in a great mood. We had a walk around the site that evening and she was overwhelmed by it all, the size, the people, the toilets... she even said to me "I don't think I can do this for five days..." We went back to the tent and spoke, I said she was welcome to leave if she wanted to, but I suggested that she slept on it and re-evaluated in the morning. It was genuinely touch and go overnight whether she would have walked or not. I didn't push her one way or the other, didn't get arsey with her, I just suggested that if she left without at least seeing what the site had to offer she may end up regretting it. One of her biggest concerns was the toilets, she's a bit of a clean freak and the thought of the toilets freaked her out, I explained that the long drops were infinitely better than portaloos and she should always go for them, going to the loo is such a tiny part of the day it shouldn't affect how you enjoy yourself.

Next day (Thursday) she agreed to a walk around site and I took her up to the Park, then the Green Fields then T&C... the magic of the place seemed to wash over her and we ended that night getting absolutely twatted at Guilty Pleasures in WG. From that point the deal was sealed, she absolutely loved the rest of the weekend and didn't even mention the toilets once.

This year will be the first festival she has missed since, and that is only because we can't get childcare (she's taking one for the time). We still laugh about how close she came to sacking the whole thing off, what she would have missed out on and how different things might have been had she bailed.

Yep I always think some people must leave who really haven't given it a fair crack of the whip. Taking time to think about it and having a good look at the site with fresh eyes is a great call. Nobody makes good decisions when they are tired and grumpy. 

I also think just going to a different part of the site is a good idea. If you find it too chaotic go to Greenfields and chill out a bit or the Theatre and Circus fields. The site doesn't just have one vibe and for some people it's a case of finding the part of the site that they like. 

26 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I could kind of understand if someone's first experience was one of the ones that even regulars acknowledge being a bit of a horror show someone not coming back. I mean it's not a cheap do and if you don't have the great years to compare it to you can see why you might consider it too big a risk. I am actually incredibly impressed when people's first one is one of the bad ones and they still come back. 

Yeah we went with a massive crew in 2007, about 30-40 people with plenty of first timers.

I'd guess at least half never came back.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Didn't get off to the best of starts on the Wednesday, her coach was late, then got lost which lead to her getting to site

I've heard this happen loads and I'm amazed every time! I struggle to understand how anyone could get lost finding the place, let along an experienced driver in a vehicle that I'd like to believe has some form of satnav 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've heard this happen loads and I'm amazed every time! I struggle to understand how anyone could get lost finding the place, let along an experienced driver in a vehicle that I'd like to believe has some form of satnav 

Actually because of the traffic management in place sometimes the sat nav can cause the problems as it directs you to places that you are then not allowed to go down. You would think coach drivers would be given the right directions to follow first though. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This was ten years ago when satnavs weren't as good or accurate.

Even now they struggle to find the WV car park.

Yeah we went with a massive crew in 2007, about 30-40 people with plenty of first timers.

I'd guess at least half never came back.

We've got a really small core of people going this year and funnily enough with the exception of one person, its the same people who I first did Reading Festival with 23 years ago in 1999.....like you, we've had points of big crowds (35 in 2011 springs to mind) , small crowds, first timers and everything inbetween.

I think some people are 'festival people' and others from our home town hear of us lot having a good time or as the years went on see the photos on Facebook, get FOMO and come along the following year without really thinking it through with regards to sanitation and the weather  or the big crowds and its a bit 'sink or swim' some have loved it and come back for more, some never to be seen again.

I don't mind friends of mine who have come to festivals once then said 'no not for me' but at least give it a go and not just have meltdown on day one and ruin it for everyone else by moaning that they want to go home.

People come and go, but that little small core of three us still go each year to something together no matter what else is going on in life and I'm glad we've still got that. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I always think some people must leave who really haven't given it a fair crack of the whip. Taking time to think about it and having a good look at the site with fresh eyes is a great call. Nobody makes good decisions when they are tired and grumpy. 

I also think just going to a different part of the site is a good idea. If you find it too chaotic go to Greenfields and chill out a bit or the Theatre and Circus fields. The site doesn't just have one vibe and for some people it's a case of finding the part of the site that they like. 

The key was patience, if I'd have gotten the hump with her she'd have walked and who knows if we would have stayed together. Mrs J is a stubborn lady and hates being told what to do, but I knew if she gave it a chance she would enjoy it so the challenge was convincing her to give it a chance.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When I got the See coach back to Oxford in 2015 our driver was from South Wales and suddenly decided to turn off the M4 for a 'short cut' completely forgetting he was driving a 70 seater coach and not his Ford Focus.  Took us nearly an hour to find somewhere suitable to turn round as he 'couldn't quite remember the route' and then get back on the M4....sigh....

The key was patience, if I'd have gotten the hump with her she'd have walked and who knows if we would have stayed together. Mrs J is a stubborn lady and hates being told what to do, but I knew if she gave it a chance she would enjoy it so the challenge was convincing her to give it a chance.

Yes I think it helps to know the person well enough to know what to do. With my friend I left him to explore on his own because I didn't want to be the person who forced someone to walk around to places they weren't interested in but in retrospect I probably should have given them a little tour as I think they found it overwhelming and I probably could have from knowing them told them parts of the site they were more and less likely to enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We've got a really small core of people going this year and funnily enough with the exception of one person, its the same people who I first did Reading Festival with 23 years ago in 1999.....like you, we've had points of big crowds (35 in 2011 springs to mind) , small crowds, first timers and everything inbetween.

I think some people are 'festival people' and others from our home town hear of us lot having a good time or as the years went on see the photos on Facebook, get FOMO and come along the following year without really thinking it through with regards to sanitation and the weather  or the big crowds and its a bit 'sink or swim' some have loved it and come back for more, some never to be seen again.

I don't mind friends of mine who have come to festivals once then said 'no not for me' but at least give it a go and not just have meltdown on day one and ruin it for everyone else by moaning that they want to go home.

People come and go, but that little small core of three us still go each year to something together no matter what else is going on in life and I'm glad we've still got that. 

Yeah we started out as a reasonably small group in 2004 (about 6-8 of us) which grew to ridiculous numbers by 2007 as more mates, girlfriends, mates of mates started joining in. Then the group has slowly shrunk back over the last decade. Some people have decided it's not for them anymore, some became teachers, other life events have happened... There is a small core of us who go every year regardless, and then some who still love the place but don't feel the need to go every single year and are happy to drop in every 2-3 years.

Think there's only four of us in the main group this year. We've had two drop outs due to pregnancies.