People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The key was patience, if I'd have gotten the hump with her she'd have walked and who knows if we would have stayed together. Mrs J is a stubborn lady and hates being told what to do, but I knew if she gave it a chance she would enjoy it so the challenge was convincing her to give it a chance.

This sounds very familiar. My wife is notoriously stoic. She’s done 4 days at V fest back in the day but it’s our first Glastonbury. She has a better idea of what to expect so I’ve charged her taking charge of the minor (but important details) …it’s our first trip away from our 1 year old and I think that is going to be our greatest challenge.

This thread has really helped give a perspective of what to REALLY expect.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

There’s a video on YouTube from a few years back of a vlogger couple who literally just turned up for the day on the Saturday, essentially just to vlog and say they had ‘done Glastonbury’ I can only think the reasoning behind that is they hate festivals, hate camping and just want to ‘be seen’. Such a waste of a ticket. Hopefully they have never been back and leave tickets for people who actually want to go.

• Upvote 1

Also worth chucking in ( I know it has been said many times) that if all else fails, go it alone.  I am well past my half century now and as keen as ever but have also got the working buzz and fun of getting there a few days before.

My wife cant come as it is term time (teacher) but I know she would want to hit the hay early whereas I can push through till daylight and run on fumes.

we go to lots of fests together but Glastonbury is always a solo trip for me

If anything I actually hate being part of a larger group. Used to really hate it when we tried to move around as group of 10,20 30+... The constant and never-ending waiting around for someone to go to the toilet/bar/get food/etc. The inability to decide on anything. When we have a big group we rarely spend much time in the company of everyone unless it's a massive headliner everyone wants to see, Mrs J and I usually do our own thing and check in and out with the group as the weekend goes on. You usually end up splintering into smaller groups depending on what people want to see and do anyway.

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

There’s a video on YouTube from a few years back of a vlogger couple who literally just turned up for the day on the Saturday, essentially just to vlog and say they had ‘done Glastonbury’ I can only think the reasoning behind that is they hate festivals, hate camping and just want to ‘be seen’. Such a waste of a ticket. Hopefully they have never been back and leave tickets for people who actually want to go.

i kind of love that video, its so vacuous and pointless, it infuriates me 🤣

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah we started out as a reasonably small group in 2004 (about 6-8 of us) which grew to ridiculous numbers by 2007 as more mates, girlfriends, mates of mates started joining in. Then the group has slowly shrunk back over the last decade. Some people have decided it's not for them anymore, some became teachers, other life events have happened... There is a small core of us who go every year regardless, and then some who still love the place but don't feel the need to go every single year and are happy to drop in every 2-3 years.

Think there's only four of us in the main group this year. We've had two drop outs due to pregnancies.

I think that's almost the same for us, we had 6 go in 2004.....by 2007 it was about 12, then by 2011 it was 35, and then its slowly gone back the other way, was about 20 in 2013, 12 in 2016 then back to the same 3 of us in 2017 and its the same 3 of us (plus one extra) this year!  That's not to say we don't have our own life events ourselves we just love festivals. 🙂

As people have got married, or decided they can't hack it anymore, prefer to to holidays instead or have kids etc its just meant its less and less of us.   We also have a few that dip in and out but don't feel the need to go each year too.

As its also worn on I've started meeting up with other mates that I go to football with so that's been good, although they've all now decided they will only do WV/Tipi/Sticklinch whilst the rest of us are sticking it out in standard camping even though we are now all 40+ ..... 

5 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

This sounds very familiar. My wife is notoriously stoic. She’s done 4 days at V fest back in the day but it’s our first Glastonbury. She has a better idea of what to expect so I’ve charged her taking charge of the minor (but important details) …it’s our first trip away from our 1 year old and I think that is going to be our greatest challenge.

This thread has really helped give a perspective of what to REALLY expect.

The leaving kids at home part is tough. Our daughter was born in January 2018 and Mrs J really struggled with leaving her with grandparents, it's the main reason she decided to bail this year (especially now we have two). We've already decided that we'll try for next year and if we get lucky we'll take the kids with us.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Actually because of the traffic management in place sometimes the sat nav can cause the problems as it directs you to places that you are then not allowed to go down. You would think coach drivers would be given the right directions to follow first though. 

Yeah, maybe satnav isn't necessarily always an accurate method of navigating the various points of entry around the site, there are marshalls and hundreds of signs to help with that but getting lost driving a city departure point to let's say, Shepton Mallet, is inexcusable. And I've heard of dozens of instances over the years and some real nightmare stories

The leaving kids at home part is tough. Our daughter was born in January 2018 and Mrs J really struggled with leaving her with grandparents, it's the main reason she decided to bail this year (especially now we have two). We've already decided that we'll try for next year and if we get lucky we'll take the kids with us.

Try for a ticket or try for another kid? You're a machine, HJ2 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, maybe satnav isn't necessarily always an accurate method of navigating the various points of entry around the site, there are marshalls and hundreds of signs to help with that but getting lost driving a city departure point to let's say, Shepton Mallet, is inexcusable. And I've heard of dozens of instances over the years and some real nightmare stories

Probably doesn't help that because of the massive logistical operation that is the coach package they have to sub-contract a lot of it out. So you end up with coach operators in the North sending drivers who may have never even heard of Shepton Mallet down that way...

If anything I actually hate being part of a larger group. Used to really hate it when we tried to move around as group of 10,20 30+... The constant and never-ending waiting around for someone to go to the toilet/bar/get food/etc. The inability to decide on anything. When we have a big group we rarely spend much time in the company of everyone unless it's a massive headliner everyone wants to see, Mrs J and I usually do our own thing and check in and out with the group as the weekend goes on. You usually end up splintering into smaller groups depending on what people want to see and do anyway.

We had this in 2010, I think it was about 30 of us that year...everyone in their mid-late 20s loving the festival and it was decided that on the Saturday night after the headliners we would all meet, I was not keen as it was too much hassle but got overruled.

Somehow we all managed to meet, but the combination of virtually everyone gurning their chops off on ecstasy, bright lights, one way systems and general fuckedness meant that by the time we got to Arcadia in the S.E corner it was full and we then decided to go to some dnb in a tent nearby.

Well that took nearly an hour as everyone was fucked, wanting to go to the toilet at different times, wanting to go to bars at different times, others wandering off, then calling me as they were lost, me telling everyone else to wait whilst i collected them, getting back to find more people had wandered off. 

Too many people + drink and drugs at a festival is never a good combination.

Awful night and never to be repeated!

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We had this in 2010, I think it was about 30 of us that year...everyone in their mid-late 20s loving the festival and it was decided that on the Saturday night after the headliners we would all meet, I was not keen as it was too much hassle but got overruled.

Somehow we all managed to meet, but the combination of virtually everyone gurning their chops off on ecstasy, bright lights, one way systems and general fuckedness meant that by the time we got to Arcadia in the S.E corner it was full and we then decided to go to some dnb in a tent nearby.

Well that took nearly an hour as everyone was fucked, wanting to go to the toilet at different times, wanting to go to bars at different times, others wandering off, then calling me as they were lost, me telling everyone else to wait whilst i collected them, getting back to find more people had wandered off. 

Too many people + drink and drugs at a festival is never a good combination.

Awful night and never to be repeated!

Yeah there's nothing I hate more than waiting around for others at a festival. A couple of my mates are like minded and we are quite happy to break off and do our own thing.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I have never done it as part of a big group and never would. I have lots of friends onsite that I meet up with at different point but they all know that if they don't turn up at a pre-agreed place and time then I am off. I've always been the same with group holidays anywhere. We did a big family trip to Florida (think there was 14 of us) and we'd meet up at night and decide who wanted to go where the next day but no way was I going to try and make all of us go to the same place every day. Somebody will just end up pissed off and there'll be an argument. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah there's nothing I hate more than waiting around for others at a festival. A couple of my mates are like minded and we are quite happy to break off and do our own thing.

It was like herding stray cats.....having a big group can be good but it also has a lot of draw backs!

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have never done it as part of a big group and never would. I have lots of friends onsite that I meet up with at different point but they all know that if they don't turn up at a pre-agreed place and time then I am off. I've always been the same with group holidays anywhere. We did a big family trip to Florida (think there was 14 of us) and we'd meet up at night and decide who wanted to go where the next day but no way was I going to try and make all of us go to the same place every day. Somebody will just end up pissed off and there'll be an argument. 

Yeah it's a pain in the arse and it never works.

Now that we are all older and more experienced we don't even try. Most of us are coupled up anyway these days so we tend to move around as couples. There's always a bit of a briefing around camp in the morning "who are people seeing?" "Oh we want to see that too, we'll come meet you for it" and we do all try to get together for any headliners we all want to see.

42 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Was that the couple who watched a football match in a bar as well?  

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'll NEVER do a festival in a big group again - it's a ballache. 

hahaha, I remember them. Absolutely fucking awful. Like a parody of young blogging couple. Hopefully in the current economic climate, they've been reducing to w*nking off pigs for spare change under a bridge somewhere.

• Like 1