People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

In 2013 my daughter brought her fella.  He basically hated everything that wasn't just getting a bit of a nap back at the tent.  It didn't help that I'd convinced everyone that it would be a great idea to camp right at the top of South Park by the fence for the fantastic view so it was a million miles to anywhere.

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I agree, I love BT as it is very manageable and so much less exhausting.  I love Glasto but certainly wouldn't want to do it twice in a year.  So Glasto, BT, and Farmer Phil's (my local festival which is small and easy to do) is great for me.  All have the same festival family vibe.  Each give me a real feel good vibe.

Must have a beer together at Farmer Phil's. We love it there too just chilling in the camping field in the shadow of the Long Mynd. Stroll to the great pub by the stream with the dog. And watch some bands on the rotating stage 🙂

• Like 1

2013, our first fest and there was a good bunch of close friends there. Pretty sure we got there on the Wednesday, and as group had no issues, it had all been a pretty mega experience imo.

We’d got to Saturday and we’re half way through watching the Stones, the chap in question Timothy, just decided he’d had enough and walked off back to tent.  Never forget this random guy who must have heard our loud’ish conversation & goodbyes, turn around and say “has he just left half way through the Rolling Stones?” followed by a massive roll of the eyes then turning back around.

We never saw Timothy again after that, as he got up early and left the next morning before we’d surfaced, and he’s not been back since. ‘Been there done that’ is his attitude if we ever bring it up now.

7 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

I had a fear with my partner that she might go down this route the first year she came with us as she doesn't (didn't) really do crowds and had panicked in gig crowds before. She was crying a bit during Arctic Monkeys (not just because she doesn't like them!) as she was completely overwhelmed by the scale of everything. It probably helped that she was with a small group who knew the festival inside out and iirc she stood in the middle of us to get some safe space (and come to terms with being subjected to Alex Turner). She obviously wasn't going to go off by herself on her first night and the group was unanimous.

She has since said it definitely worked out for the best as it meant she could get used to it and then knew what to expect for The Rolling Stones the next night. Now that crowd - that one even shocked the veterans! She also absolutely loves the festival now with 4 under her belt now too and excited for June!

An aside - in that Stones crowd, somehow a mate of us arrived late, found us, passed out, left, returned, passed out again, left and returned all within probably 30 minutes. We still aren't sure how and we still don't believe he hadn't taken something. (Suggested alternative was dehydration and exhaustion.)

I remember thinking that will be the biggest pyramid crowd I’ve ever seen on the pyramid and probably ever will…only for it to be beaten the following year by Dolly. 

Just remembered actually that one of our actual group left early in 2016, which I had totally forgotten. In a way I can’t blame her really, she decided to come last minute as got a ticket though her work somehow. We were staying in a caravan that year and a couple of our mates (I say mates I’ve not been with them since because they can be so annoying) made her feel a bit guilty because she ended up staying in our caravan but didn’t pay anything, just little digs here and there about it. Personally it was last minute thing and the thing was paid for, so I didn’t get the issue, the more the merrier etc. then on the Friday evening before the headliners one of my mates had overindulged to the point he was in a complete state, so she offered to take him back to the caravan and then she’d come back for the headliners. She was gone a while and she eventually called one of us to say she wasn’t going to come back for the evening, basically with my mate being in such a state, he attracted the attention of security on the way out of gate c, they were both searched, all their stuff taken off them and both photographed. The next morning (Saturday) she announced she had called her boyfriend to drive three hours to pick her up and that she was leaving. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

What seems to be coming up a lot here is the fatigue getting to some people. I agree that it’s something that’s hit me at times but I guess I’ve always found a way to push through? Maybe it’s the activities I did as a youngster or whatever.

I love a walk and a few days of high endurance is right up my street. But I know many people who really despise long walking. Is anyone else the same? It’s completely alien to me but I know some people who really object to walking anywhere.

23 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

2013, our first fest and there was a good bunch of close friends there. Pretty sure we got there on the Wednesday, and as group had no issues, it had all been a pretty mega experience imo.

We’d got to Saturday and we’re half way through watching the Stones, the chap in question Timothy, just decided he’d had enough and walked off back to tent.  Never forget this random guy who must have heard our loud’ish conversation & goodbyes, turn around and say “has he just left half way through the Rolling Stones?” followed by a massive roll of the eyes then turning back around.

We never saw Timothy again after that, as he got up early and left the next morning before we’d surfaced, and he’s not been back since. ‘Been there done that’ is his attitude if we ever bring it up now.

I do like to invent my own stories when I’m people watching.
In the case of your friend Timothy I’d say…. a curry-induced full trouser accident followed by something unrepeatable happening at the tent - forcing him to just go home and never speak of it to anyone.

9 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Oh I agree, festivals in general are much more mainstream now.  I never thought of going to a festival when I was young, I was 40 before I did!  I regret not going earlier but when I was young I thought Glasto was for edgy, cool, non-mainstream people not boring people like me!

When I first went to Reading in 1999 my brother kept calling me 'grebo' and 'wheres your bar of soap for a wash?' and other such comments.

2013 I walked past The Beat Hotel and he was there stood with his mates sipping on a cocktail and posing for selfies and shouted to me 'you were right, this festival lark isn't so bad is it?!'

🙄

11 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A friend of a friend who is very into their Facebook/instagram image (not on it anymore myself but was at the time) who I just couldn’t place there got tickets for 2016. They made a big song and dance about getting tickets, and then during all of the lead up, but not a peep during or afterwards which I thought was weird. I messaged them afterwards to ask them if they’d had a good time and they just said it was awful and they left early!

My exes mates all went one year and have never been back since because apparently there is too much walking.

The year I didn’t get tickets and stayed in Love Fields a middle aged couple near us turned up on the Friday, I heard them talking to their neighbours and they said they had never been to a festival before but saw some ticket packages come up, so decided to go for it. They actually bought a full on table and chairs with them for outside their tent. I noticed on Sunday morning they had gone, they were probably there for no more than 24 hours. 

so to be clear, one year you camped in Lovefields all weekend and didn't go in as you didn't have a ticket? am i reading that right?

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

What seems to be coming up a lot here is the fatigue getting to some people. I agree that it’s something that’s hit me at times but I guess I’ve always found a way to push through? Maybe it’s the activities I did as a youngster or whatever.

I love a walk and a few days of high endurance is right up my street. But I know many people who really despise long walking. Is anyone else the same? It’s completely alien to me but I know some people who really object to walking anywhere.

I enjoy the walking part of it, too! A stroll anywhere at Glastonbury at any time, may be physically demanding...but it's never boring! I think the number of miles walked is the only healthy thing I do for the week and I'm convinced it helps reduce any hangovers 

I had a friend leave by Saturday lunchtime in 2019. They didn't come with us but they decided to get tickets because of me saying how much I loved it. The heat was a big factor for them but also the crowds. They are the reason why I do say I think it is best to plan a bit as they said they were just going to wander and see what they came across but afterwards told me that every time they got somewhere things seemed to be just ending. They didn't hate it and actually he has talked about going again in the future but I think they found it overwhelming. 

It's a shame because I think when anyone expresses a real interest in it I am brutally honest about just how much hard work it can be and whilst I extoll the virtues I do also point out the drawbacks. I always explain that it's a marathon not a sprint, that even those of us who love it most will have moments that we find hard work, that really good and really bad weather make it even more difficult. It's not a place for germophobes, or primadonnas and if you hate crowds or have anxiety around crowds there will be uncomfortable moments. I guess all the talking in the world doesn't always prepare people for it. 

Interestingly though since the festival they have been to more gigs so it obviously ignited something in them. 

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I enjoy the walking part of it, too! A stroll anywhere at Glastonbury at any time, may be physically demanding...but it's never boring! I think the number of miles walked is the only healthy thing I do for the week and I'm convinced it helps reduce any hangovers 

It actually does! I won't bore you with the science! 

19 minutes ago, e_p said:

so to be clear, one year you camped in Lovefields all weekend and didn't go in as you didn't have a ticket? am i reading that right?

No, I got tickets through staying at Lovefields, by not getting tickets I mean in the normal sales. They have sold ticket packages in years gone by.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

In 2010 me cousin came along and bought his girl and her sister, they hated everything, me cousin was loving it, but them 2 just couldn't handle it, it was the year it was roasting, so it was hard, the Wednesday is always hard, kept saying that. Thursday morning we got up and the young sister was packing her stuff, phoned her Dad to come and get her, never heard of her again.

Didn't even give it a chance, waste of a ticket.

I think sometimes people see all the lovely BBC montages and scenic shots of people in the crowd and it all looks great etc especially when the weather is nice, so they get themselves a ticket for the following year without really thinking of the practicalities of the getting in, camping, not washing, if the weather goes bad etc etc and then get shocked at the reality and freak out and either just put up with it and then don't go again or hate it so much that they leave early.

10 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My fiancé's Mum went at some point in the mid-80s and hated it - all she's said to me about it is that she spent most of the time at her tent!

Doesn't surprise me. She's quite alternative in her ways, but not a fan of anything too busy. Much like her son!

If it was 85 then I can see why. Rain rain rain and so much mud. Very basic in way back then, it was hard work. My wife, didn't know her then, left on the Saturday. People mention 97 98. Imagine it worse with less to see

We have been going together since 95, she has had a few years out due to the kids. She does think this year will be her last.

20 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

If it was 85 then I can see why. Rain rain rain and so much mud. Very basic in way back then, it was hard work. My wife, didn't know her then, left on the Saturday. People mention 97 98. Imagine it worse with less to see

We have been going together since 95, she has had a few years out due to the kids. She does think this year will be her last.

As you say, the people and site were not well prepared for the weather. 

Mind you, if she was sufficiently alternative it would have been easy in those days for her to just get some 'shrooms and stay in the tent 😉

I met a young lad at an efests meet up on the first night who was having a problem with the crowds. I did try my hardest to calm him down, say there was nothing to fear (at all) etc. I really tried my hardest with him. He thanked me for trying and said I think I have to go (by which he meant leave the festival) now, and off he walked away. I knew that there was no point in me chasing him, as I'd already played my cards in trying to talk him into a more relaxed state. Maybe he went home, maybe he stayed. I simply don't know.

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I met a young lad at an efests meet up on the first night who was having a problem with the crowds. I did try my hardest to calm him down, say there was nothing to fear (at all) etc. I really tried my hardest with him. He thanked me for trying and said I think I have to go (by which he meant leave the festival) now, and off he walked away. I knew that there was no point in me chasing him, as I'd already played my cards in trying to talk him into a more relaxed state. Maybe he went home, maybe he stayed. I simply don't know.

My girlfriend says she would love to do Glastonbury if there were about 150,000 less people on site!

As it stands, I'm glad its the size it is as she would go mental at my behaviour down there if she came along.

Edited by gooner1990
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I wouldn’t say they hated it but they’ve never been back in years: a couple of friends decided there wasn’t any interesting bands on (yeah, really) and ended up watching the festival on the TV - sat in their campervan on site! 

I struggle to comprehend this. They were on site@ Glasto but rather than incorporate themselves they watched it on TV?! 

23 minutes ago, clarkete said:

As you say, the people and site were not well prepared for the weather. 

Mind you, if she was sufficiently alternative it would have been easy in those days for her to just get some 'shrooms and stay in the tent 😉

Could be why she never made it out the tent. 😁

I remember being with a mate back then and we convinced ourselves the tent had taken off and if we opened it we would fall out. Then there was so many patterns in front of our eyes we could not see the zip or which end it was at. I still remember getting out and what a wonderland we stepped into, felt like Mr Benn

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My girlfriend says she would love to do Glastonbury if there were about 150,000 less people on site!

As it stands, I'm glad its the size it is as she would go mental at my behaviour down there if she came along.

I am fortunate in that my wife will man mark me for every drink and drug that I take ie. she'll do the same. Mental behaviour is very much the norm in this house, and when at festivals. Anywhere really!

2 minutes ago, Boris said:

I struggle to comprehend this. They were on site@ Glasto but rather than incorporate themselves they watched it on TV?! 

Someone we were with, way back,  got wasted and could not be bothered to go out and he watched the headliner on TV in his camper whilst also hearing it through the open window, camping in T&C

12 hours ago, JoeyT said:

My Wife has been with me 3 times I think. She doesn’t hate it but equally doesn’t love it either and whatever any of us think £280+ is a lot of money to shell out if you’re hearts not in it.

Having said this, 2016 was her last one and all of the ones she’d previously attended had involved rain. Obviously the 2 festivals since she hasn’t been have had unbelievable weather so if her not being there guarantees this then it’s a sacrifice I’m more than happy to make 😂

Oh shit. Does she have a ticket?