People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

hahaha, I remember them. Absolutely fucking awful. Like a parody of young blogging couple. Hopefully in the current economic climate, they've been reducing to w*nking off pigs for spare change under a bridge somewhere.

Well there’s an image I’ll struggle to get out of my mind😁😁

8 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I'll NEVER do a festival in a big group again - it's a ballache. 

"OK they're on in 5, everyone ready?"

"Yeah"

"Oh hang on Emmas gone to the loo"

"OK"

"Actually I might grab some food quickly" *joins the one with the longest queue*

"Well if theyre getting food I may aswlel get a pint"

"I actually might nip back to the tent quickly and get a jumper"

"Wheres Darren?"

"Oh hes gone to meet someone from his work, he asked us to wait here"

"When will he be back"

"Not sure, his phone is dead"....

• Upvote 14

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

What annoys me most is that I think they were probably on comp/hospitality tickets. Pretty sure they didn't even fucking pay. It's enough to make you want to join ISIS, really.

Just watching it now and the text under the video says the tickets were provided by EE if ISIS are looking for any deserving targets.

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

There’s a video on YouTube from a few years back of a vlogger couple who literally just turned up for the day on the Saturday, essentially just to vlog and say they had ‘done Glastonbury’ I can only think the reasoning behind that is they hate festivals, hate camping and just want to ‘be seen’. Such a waste of a ticket. Hopefully they have never been back and leave tickets for people who actually want to go.

The worst part about this is the festival suffers too - they probably spent about 25% of what a regular punter does during their time on site as they were there for such a short amount of time

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s this one, don’t watch it if you don’t want to get angry and potentially kick the dog/cat though! 

That video made my heart sad. The absolute worst bit is at one point I thought to be fair to them they probably still saw more of the site than some people who go every year. 

People who have hated Glastonbury = Heretics 😉

My partner doesn't hate it but they do prefer a smaller festival, I had a bit of a job persuading them to try for resales this year - I think the threatening to apply for one of the paid chef roles (which I almost certainly would have been offered as I'm a freelance chef and there's a massive shortage of chefs) and being away from home for at least 6 weeks did the trick!  And we were successful 😁

Don't judge too harshly but on the Sat headliner time in '16 we were chilling in the campervan & partner put the BBC live stream of Adele on.... I had a paddy, the kind I'm sure you can all agree was warranted in such a situation, wellies were donned & we trudged through mud from CV West, grabbed some Anna Maes & caught the rest of Adele knee-deep in mud munching steaming mac & cheese.

Partner isn't a prissy princess or a stuck up vlogger type they just can't be arsed with the walking & whilst they appreciate Glasto,  the magic hasn't quite taken their soul.

Probably ever so slightly off topic, I remember the carnage of 2005. We were in the CV east fields and arrived to blissful weather on the Thursday had a brilliant day/night but do recall the sound of raindrops on my tent (next to van) just before going to sleep. Woke up the next morning to a deluge of rain with mates shouting from the van about the festival being called off, they were listening to Moyles on Radio 1 giving updates about how trashed the site was and that one of the (dance?) tents has been hit by lightening and won't be on all weekend.  

Anyway, after a mega breakfast and the rain just about stopping, the news was that we had to trudge quite a bit further to gate B to get into the site as C was closed. The sight that I saw then will never leave me, lots of people leaving the site dragging their belongings with them, some crying but most with faces like they'd been slapped with a wet fish. I was stunned and thinking, hang on.. it's not even started yet and they were going home. The best bit was that we queued to get in the site and just as we clapped eyes on the Pyramid stage the sun came out and the cheer that went up was incredible. Let the fun begin again.

This year is my 10th (first in '84) but 2005 was easily my favourite. 

14 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Probably ever so slightly off topic, I remember the carnage of 2005. We were in the CV east fields and arrived to blissful weather on the Thursday had a brilliant day/night but do recall the sound of raindrops on my tent (next to van) just before going to sleep. Woke up the next morning to a deluge of rain with mates shouting from the van about the festival being called off, they were listening to Moyles on Radio 1 giving updates about how trashed the site was and that one of the (dance?) tents has been hit by lightening and won't be on all weekend.  

Anyway, after a mega breakfast and the rain just about stopping, the news was that we had to trudge quite a bit further to gate B to get into the site as C was closed. The sight that I saw then will never leave me, lots of people leaving the site dragging their belongings with them, some crying but most with faces like they'd been slapped with a wet fish. I was stunned and thinking, hang on.. it's not even started yet and they were going home. The best bit was that we queued to get in the site and just as we clapped eyes on the Pyramid stage the sun came out and the cheer that went up was incredible. Let the fun begin again.

This year is my 10th (first in '84) but 2005 was easily my favourite. 

I think in fairness that was a lot of people who were camped at the bottom of Pennards who not only had their tents ruined, everything inside, clothes, kit, drugs, booze etc was all in a mess/ruined.  

I think that would push even the hardened festival goer to the limit!

20 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just watching it now and the text under the video says the tickets were provided by EE if ISIS are looking for any deserving targets.

I still want to know why EE provided them with the tickets?

Was it on the basis of providing a Vlog for them? And if so were EE happy with the result?

There's probably a reason why they haven't been back since....

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Yeah"

"OK"

"Actually I might grab some food quickly" *joins the one with the longest queue*

"Wheres Darren?"

"When will he be back"

A good mate I used to live with coined the phrase "matchday etiquette". It's a catchall phrase that effectively means that if its a matchday, he run's off his own clock and simply claims "matchday etiquette".

If he's ready to go to the pub/stadium/home and others aren't on his exact timeline, he'll leave them behind and just claim "matchday etiquette". It threads a thin line between efficiency and ignorance but we've started implementing this mentality with great success at festivals now too.

Ultimately we don't need to hold each others hands. I'm going to see 'X' act - you can come with me or I might see you there shortly or I might not. We're fully grown humans and have WhatsApp to throw up a flare if we want to meet up. Simples 🙂

I'm slightly fearful this might happen to me this year. I'm taking my ex. Her ticket was a gift I gave her before we split and since we remain good friends, I'm honouring it. But it means she's not especially invested, given she's getting in for free and hasn't been before. Her reaction to the line up is that she wasn't "taken with it", which is fine. It's because she hardly knows any of the acts, so she's been going through the Glasto playlist on Spotify for the last few weeks. Still, there are apparently "no standouts".

I know she doesn't have any time for dance music, values her sleep to the point she won't go without, and insists she won't be able to get through it all without at least one shower.

All of that is OK individually, but I'm just slightly concerned that it could develop into some kind of perfect storm and cause her to write it all off. Luckily she does enjoy a variety of music, loves to dance salsa, and is totally into environmental stuff, so I'm encouraging her to focus on areas of the site that will speak to her. I've also reminded her to bring earplugs.

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s this one, don’t watch it if you don’t want to get angry and potentially kick the dog/cat though! 

Reminds me of Nathan Barley and the rise of the idiots. They should have popped a couple of pingers - would have made for a more interesting vid.

Edited by NickM45
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I'm slightly fearful this might happen to me this year. I'm taking my ex. Her ticket was a gift I gave her before we split and since we remain good friends, I'm honouring it. But it means she's not especially invested, given she's getting in for free and hasn't been before. Her reaction to the line up is that she wasn't "taken with it", which is fine. It's because she hardly knows any of the acts, so she's been going through the Glasto playlist on Spotify for the last few weeks. Still, there are apparently "no standouts".

I know she doesn't have any time for dance music, values her sleep to the point she won't go without, and insists she won't be able to get through it all without at least one shower.

All of that is OK individually, but I'm just slightly concerned that it could develop into some kind of perfect storm and cause her to write it all off. Luckily she does enjoy a variety of music, loves to dance salsa, and is totally into environmental stuff, so I'm encouraging her to focus on areas of the site that will speak to her. I've also reminded her to bring earplugs.

Doesn't know many of the acts?!  Is she anti-music or something?

I hope you're going with other people as it might be worth her exploring the festival on her own!

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Yeah"

"OK"

"Wheres Darren?"

"When will he be back"

And that’s why I carry a flag when with a group. I’ll tell them which stage ill be at. They can come find me when they’ve finished arsing around. 

In the meantime I’m making friends with other randoms. 

49 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I had to look at feed 🙄 and there's the proposal, the pregnancy and of course the gender reveal. There'll be Xmas songs about ginsters next 

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

As you say, the people and site were not well prepared for the weather. 

Mind you, if she was sufficiently alternative it would have been easy in those days for her to just get some 'shrooms and stay in the tent 😉

I think it was '85 and yes I think that's pretty much what she did.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Yeah"

"OK"

"Wheres Darren?"

"When will he be back"

Darren's a c**t.

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think in fairness that was a lot of people who were camped at the bottom of Pennards who not only had their tents ruined, everything inside, clothes, kit, drugs, booze etc was all in a mess/ruined.  

I think that would push even the hardened festival goer to the limit!

We were nearer the top of Pennards that year.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Doesn't know many of the acts?!  Is she anti-music or something?

I hope you're going with other people as it might be worth her exploring the festival on her own!

I took a first timer in 2017 and he made a similar comment.  He had a fantastic time, even though he barely saw a single gig, made friends with camp mates and spent most of his festival sitting round the campsite chatting and hoovering up lines of anything offered.  He loved the SE corner, had the time of his life on a few nights out and that was enough for him.

I think that's the beauty of Glastonbury to be honest.  It doesn't have to be about seeing gigs in a field or going full tilt every night in the SE corner, it can be about whatever YOU enjoy spending your time doing. As an old git most would probably consider my festival activities boring as fuck, I wander round during the day, see a few bands, retiring occasionally to the greenfields for a cuppa and a smoke, after the headliners I'm usually back at camp for a chat before bed and I've not been up til dawn in a few years.

There's something for everyone at Glastonbury, just a shame that some people don't find it.  I think a part of that is that for first timers it's easy to focus too much on the main stages.