Glastonbury Festival Good Pub Guide

croiz

26 minutes ago, Barneym said:

This is the Elephant bar, we found it on the Thursday and got a seat and this was on the WhatsApp to the wider group to come and find us. Dangerously strong craft beer

930C7EE1-CE64-4E6B-8773-59D2FF463377.png

It's made it's way onto the official page too https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/bars/

"Pack your trunks and get down to the brand-new bar on the bloc – Elephant Bar. It’ll be on everybody’s Glastonbury ‘must visit’ list this year. Serving a range of World Craft and European Beers including Brooklyn New York and London Fields, this is a great meeting place to join your mates before going to The Pyramid or Other stage; meet under the iconic Elephant Heads."

3 hours ago, croiz said:

Never heard of this one before! Where's that? What's it's thing?

Sadly now gone.  What made Wally's head and shoulders the best bar at Glastonbury was an absolutely stunning range of real ales.  The beer board over the bar was huge and included things like 11% Russian Imperial Stout and crazy ciders.  Also had a huge fire-pit outside.

Wally's Bar: Shangri La crew bar at Glastonbury 2013 (wallysbar.blogspot.com)

15 hours ago, dogeggs said:

I liked Goose Hall when we did Worthy Pastures last year.

Presumed it might’ve be crew-only during the festival

it used to be where crew got fed.

Thinking about this has made me realise how important personal/group memories are in how fond you are of a pub. Probably the one I have fondest memories of is objectively one of the most average bars in the festival, the Hop and Liquor. It wears its theme so lightly that it's possible it doesn't even have one and I've made it up, but I think it's meant to be like an Old West saloon. They serve the bog standard drinks - your Carlsbergs etc, nothing fancy. They play inoffensive crowd pleasing music. And yet. For some reason, probably thanks to its location near the Pyramid and nearish where we camp, over the years my group has always spent a decent amount of time there waiting between acts, quenching our thirst, or just plotting what to do next (never waste time planning without a drink in your hand). And if you spend a decent amount of time anywhere at Glastonbury funny and fun memories will start to accumulate. So for that reason it's somewhere we all look forward to revisiting every festival, to sit in the little 'beer garden', talk to some strangers and watch people go by. But if you were to ask me which is the best bar at Glastonbury, it probably wouldn't even make the top 10. 

Speaking more objectively, the Avalon Inn is a thing of beauty, and that whole area is a delight. 

3 hours ago, t0paz said:

Was Wally’s the one that had the cut through to jump the SE corner queue? Or is that Maceos?

Slightly off-topic but is there still a reliable back way into the corner? I used to make my way in to the back road from the craft fields to rocket lounge (And out for a quick exit to worthy view at the end of the night), but in 2019 that was usually guarded

21 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Slightly off-topic but is there still a reliable back way into the corner? I used to make my way in to the back road from the craft fields to rocket lounge (And out for a quick exit to worthy view at the end of the night), but in 2019 that was usually guarded

I don't think there is. In 2016 we got through that same way from the Craft Fields but only 'cos we were with somebody who DJs at one of the SE venues and he got us past the stewards. It's not exactly high security, there's always the chance you could blag it I guess.

3 hours ago, croiz said:

It's made it's way onto the official page too https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/bars/

"Pack your trunks and get down to the brand-new bar on the bloc – Elephant Bar. It’ll be on everybody’s Glastonbury ‘must visit’ list this year. Serving a range of World Craft and European Beers including Brooklyn New York and London Fields, this is a great meeting place to join your mates before going to The Pyramid or Other stage; meet under the iconic Elephant Heads."

Is there a map available that brings all of the most popular bars together to help with a pub crawl?

It's beyond my technology skills to put together such a thing....

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

I don't think there is. In 2016 we got through that same way from the Craft Fields but only 'cos we were with somebody who DJs at one of the SE venues and he got us past the stewards. It's not exactly high security, there's always the chance you could blag it I guess.

I think this route was still open until 10pm (or whatever time the offical entrance has to be used) I dont know about getting out that way later

1 hour ago, TomSE13 said:

Is there a map available that brings all of the most popular bars together to help with a pub crawl?

It's beyond my technology skills to put together such a thing....

You could filter this by Food and Drink which would kind of do that. Saying that I didn't create this so can't speak to it's accuracy or completeness: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Fb6abza1fXbASPYUzBSvJ8u4wXxqGVKH&ll=51.15076493609919%2C-2.579716702362047&z=15

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, gazzared said:

doreen doreen on the Summer House Stage are great fun, my friends kept trying to get me to watch them saying how good they were, I fianally joined them on the Sunday night and they were brillaint 👍

Love a bit of Doreen Doreen straight after the headliners 🙂 

19 hours ago, FatAmmy said:

Not even sure you need it anymore, with all the changes last time there was never a queue when we went 

15 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Still was in 2019 , 3 lovely meals a day , queued up outside, through with your tray and back outside to the benches / undercover mmmm

Yes my daughter worked in Goose Hall - she was there for a total of 7 weeks (I think or maybe 5?) - during set up before and take down after.  I camped with her there in 2016 - great location!

On 4/1/2022 at 12:16 AM, sirjonnyp said:

I can't believe I've got to the end of the thread and no one has mentioned the Bimble Inn - best bar on site. Also the cheapest too, outside of crew bars. Otter Ale is normally a full £2 cheaper per pint than at Avalon!

I'm fully with you on this one! The Bimble Inn is a firm fave! 

Ok, have given this quite a bit of thought. Here’s my top 10 in reverse order.

10. Mandela - dead handy for a swift one between Pyramid sets.

9. Cornish Arms  - decent beers, and fairly central

8. Inn on the Green - usually meet friends here

7. West Holts - often good live music on the Thursday, and great spot for people watching the mayhem and carnage at Brothers directly across.

6. Ridge & Furrow - great for meeting eFesters!

5. Cockmill - quiet corner of site near Acoustic, and recently Annie Maes Mac cheese right next door.

4. Tolpuddle Arms - bar nearest where I usually camp, and great for a final post headliner unwind.

3. Theatre Bar - don’t know why, but I keep bumping into people I know in here. Have also been requested (politely, in the Glastonbury fashion) to stop dancing on the tables.

2. Tricketts - bar with best view on site. Usually try to trek up here ASAP after arriving just to soak it all in. Never fails to give me that special Glastonbury feeling, that any outside troubles will just melt away for 5 days.

1. Avalon - I think the leg line must run right under this place. It’s more than just my favourite bar in Glastonbury, it’s my favourite anywhere. Bought my son his first legal pint in here in 2019, whilst my daughter had a go on the helter skelter. Very special place.

Honorable mentions to Bimble Inn, Hop & Liqour and if it counts as a bar, the Cider Bus, my first port of call after tent is up.

So excited to be thinking that in a few weeks time I might be working in one of these!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So, makes me realise how many I haven't been to. I need a plan to discover more this year. Please add to this list, just the main bars I've missed (excluding crew only areas), including approx locations;

Avalon Inn - Avalon Fields

Badger

Bimble Inn - The Park

Bread & Roses

Brothers Bar - West Holts

Cider Bus - side of Pyramid

Cockmill - Acoustic

Copper Dollar- The Common

Cornish Arms - By Leftfield

Elephant Bar

Glade Bar - The Glade

Hop & Liquor

Inn On The Green

Mandela Bar - Green Futures

Meeting Place - Williams Green

Open Arms - Greenpeace

Park Bar - The Park

Ridge & Furrow - West Holts/Theatre

Stonebridge Bar - The Park

Theatre Bar - Theatre

Tolpuddle Arms

Tricketts - East Pennards

West Holts Bar - West Holts

24 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Mandela Bar is next to the Pyramid (RHS as you look at the stage) - not Green Futures, unless there is something with a similar name up there.

Mandala Stage is in Green Futures, but isn't a bar.

2 hours ago, Barneym said:

No one has mentioned the Spike bar by the glade, not actually a good bar drinks wise but one of our favourite places to go with a pint and chill for a bit, maybe this is more of a venue than a bar

I remember one year where there was horrid rain outside and we managed to find a perch in there.  The drinks were lovely and they had Just a Couple of Mums playing a DJ set - they do indeed dress as a couple of mums and play a crowd pleaser set which went down very well with those in there who wanted a bit of cheering up.

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

I remember one year where there was horrid rain outside and we managed to find a perch in there.  The drinks were lovely and they had Just a Couple of Mums playing a DJ set - they do indeed dress as a couple of mums and play a crowd pleaser set which went down very well with those in there who wanted a bit of cheering up.

I stumbled across Just a Couple of Mums and agree that they were great fun - I always highlight them on the Clashfinder so if I'm in the right area at the right time I can take them in.

There's a bar at Strummerville too - don't think it has has name but they did a mean Bloody Mary and I usually have a beer there after the walk up there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1