Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I love being able to nip back to my tent … it’s actually a factor that puts me off working …. 

That's one of the things I like about recycling crew camping in Tom's Field. Yes it is at the very top of the site up by the farmhouse but compared to other volunteer sites it's a lot closer and inside the fence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dondo said:

That's one of the things I like about recycling crew camping in Tom's Field. Yes it is at the very top of the site up by the farmhouse but compared to other volunteer sites it's a lot closer and inside the fence.

you guys would definately benefit from a shower after work ..... 🙂 

From what I've seen the new stewarding campsite looks to be around where the Oxfield is. Decent trek if you're working in the Park, but plenty Oxfam stewards are positioned on the gate down there and manage it alright. 

Different of course if you're disabled/have trouble walking, etc. 

10 minutes ago, oakdown said:

From what I've seen the new stewarding campsite looks to be around where the Oxfield is. Decent trek if you're working in the Park, but plenty Oxfam stewards are positioned on the gate down there and manage it alright. 

I've only done Oxfam once, but the camp position was one of the worst things about it. Such a trek to go back to the tent

10 minutes ago, oakdown said:

I might as well post what I've heard on this because I don't think it's much of a secret at this point.

I believe that at least some of the people who previously camped on-site (specifically, SE Corner stewards) are being moved to the field that most recently has been car park Purple 1. Not sure if that applies to all on-site stewards or whether there's more than one new field.

17 minutes ago, oakdown said:

The oxfam stewards have different levels of commitment to those doing it to raise funds for their local club. 
There are exceptions for stewards with mobility issues I think I read - there’s been mention of a campsite being reserved up in the the Park. 

8 minutes ago, mazola said:

I've only done Oxfam once, but the camp position was one of the worst things about it. Such a trek to go back to the tent

It's not ideal (and I've only done Glasto through them, never as a punter so take this with a grain of salt) but it can be managed. Bring a bag with everything you need for the day, stick it in a lockup, and don't go back to your tent until you're ready to drop. 

Having said that, the furthest I've been positioned was the vehicle gate by Shangri La so never as far across site as gate D.

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

The oxfam stewards have different levels of commitment to those doing it to raise funds for their local club. 

Fair point! Hadn't considered that. 

5 minutes ago, SGS said:

Yes they would - I know this because some already have. Consider this. You have a shift that starts at midnight in The Park on The Saturday night- it ends at 0800 on the Sunday morning. I think it is fair to assume that you will have been in the festival since noon on the Sat. Do you bring all the stuff you need for the day AND the night shift you are going to do and lug it around all day? Then you get to your shift to log in, collect your tabard and any other PPE you need 15 mins before your shift starts. (keep in mind you will not be the only one doing this as whole teams change at the same time and it takes time to do all of this!  and the previous shift can't go till you get there) and then you get to your shift. 8 hours later when you've now been up for 20 hours ( sober and clean, remember, as you are working!) by the time you finish your exit it is 8:20 and then you have to lug all your stuff back to your tent before you get some sleep to head out into the festival for say 1 pm sunday. That used to be a good 5 hours sleep as where the camping was previously was only20 mins walk, but now it is 1 hour at best assuming it is dry so you are down to 4 hours and it is a trek to get back into the festival the next day . It's a long long day and you may have another shift to come. This is not about some people having a bit of a tizzy, it is more about people being realistic about what they (Their bodies) can do. Also some 70% of these people have been doing it for years and years and really know what they are doing and thought they knew what was expected of them and in turn what they expect from the festival, it would be a shame to lose that knowledge and skill base, that's why there are further conversations happening. Now whether this changes the outcome is another matter. The festival has lost 2 years income, there are more paying punters than previous years and this means more stewards than previous years. It isn't an easy thing to manage and I have every sympathy for both the stewards that this affects and the organisers who have to make sure that everything works and is legal. I am glad it isn't my problem frankly

I’d have thought a lot of this could be overcome with more shuttles. If you were guaranteed a shuttle at the beginning and end of each shift it would make it that much more bareable. 

Lock ups can be used to keep the stuff you don’t need so no need to carry round day and night stuff

6 minutes ago, SGS said:

Yes they would - I know this because some already have. Consider this. You have a shift that starts at midnight in The Park on The Saturday night- it ends at 0800 on the Sunday morning. I think it is fair to assume that you will have been in the festival since noon on the Sat. Do you bring all the stuff you need for the day AND the night shift you are going to do and lug it around all day? Then you get to your shift to log in, collect your tabard and any other PPE you need 15 mins before your shift starts. (keep in mind you will not be the only one doing this as whole teams change at the same time and it takes time to do all of this!  and the previous shift can't go till you get there) and then you get to your shift. 8 hours later when you've now been up for 20 hours ( sober and clean, remember, as you are working!) by the time you finish your exit it is 8:20 and then you have to lug all your stuff back to your tent before you get some sleep to head out into the festival for say 1 pm sunday. That used to be a good 5 hours sleep as where the camping was previously was only20 mins walk, but now it is 1 hour at best assuming it is dry so you are down to 4 hours and it is a trek to get back into the festival the next day . It's a long long day and you may have another shift to come. This is not about some people having a bit of a tizzy, it is more about people being realistic about what they (Their bodies) can do. Also some 70% of these people have been doing it for years and years and really know what they are doing and thought they knew what was expected of them and in turn what they expect from the festival, it would be a shame to lose that knowledge and skill base, that's why there are further conversations happening. Now whether this changes the outcome is another matter. The festival has lost 2 years income, there are more paying punters than previous years and this means more stewards than previous years. It isn't an easy thing to manage and I have every sympathy for both the stewards that this affects and the organisers who have to make sure that everything works and is legal. I am glad it isn't my problem frankly

I can absolutely see why some are so upset. That new "Guppies" camp ground is a 5-10 minute walk beyond PGB. Not ideal before and after a long shift. It probably makes it a little more difficult to swallow given that one of the reasons for having to move the campsite is due to the increase in public camping tickets this year. Hopefully, they'll come to a fair compromise, I'm sure they will.

They moved the T&C stewards beyond the superfence in 2019. It's just outside of Orchard Gate and not too far away, the biggest pain in the ass is the pass out system every time you want to come and go, to and from camp. I reckon it'll be the same this year.

43 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

you guys would definately benefit from a shower after work ..... 🙂 

Indeed. Wasn't too bad when just doing the picking but after a shift in the recycling centre very much so

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

the biggest pain in the ass is the pass out system every time you want to come and go, to and from camp. I reckon it'll be the same this year.

I thought the pass out system last time was fairly streamlined and bug free? People had a little barcode on their wrists and were scanned in and out right? In many ways it's a lot simpler than previously when there were magic wristbands you could toss over the fence or send out with a mate etc etc. What were the issues?

Just now, Barneym said:

This may be a stupid question but could they not just move the fence a bit so we have another campsite within it? 

I'm sure that's a possibility, but a lot of the route of the fence is kind of forced upon it by treelines and roads and so on. You can't just chuck it back 15m, you'd have to chuck it back a whole field here or there.

24 minutes ago, SGS said:

Good point, hopefully they can come to some sort of conclusion! Lock ups and shuttle bus round the edge of the site would be the obvious way round. 

I assume there isn't a 24/7 staff bus just going in a circle round all the gates?

1 minute ago, jefwefwef said:

I'm sure that's a possibility, but a lot of the route of the fence is kind of forced upon it by treelines and roads and so on. You can't just chuck it back 15m, you'd have to chuck it back a whole field here or there.

What's a field between friends? 

1 minute ago, SGS said:

they have already said that shuttle land train will be limited in size and frequency - there are over 1000 stewards on site so this is why it is more of an issue for anyone working on west side of festival 

I totally agree with you. I was just saying that it might be a way for the festival to make it more palatable for the volunteers if they greatly improved land train provision. Better than a couple of meal tickets and the chance to arrive Sunday, which doesn’t appeal much to people doing it for their local charity more than the ticket. 

18 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

I thought the pass out system last time was fairly streamlined and bug free? People had a little barcode on their wrists and were scanned in and out right? In many ways it's a lot simpler than previously when there were magic wristbands you could toss over the fence or send out with a mate etc etc. What were the issues?

Strangely, not everyone had that barcode system in our area. Might have been a glitch? For those with paper pass outs, it meant carrying them around with your ticket. Toilets, showers and other facilities were all inside the fence, so it meant having to go through that manual process each time. A minor inconvenience. I think the biggest issue some of the stewards camped in that area had was that it literally backs onto the SEC. Crazy noisy until dawn. 

For most, it's all minor issues. We're at the festival and that supersedes any inconveniences tbh!

2 hours ago, oakdown said:

It's not ideal (and I've only done Glasto through them, never as a punter so take this with a grain of salt) but it can be managed. Bring a bag with everything you need for the day, stick it in a lockup, and don't go back to your tent until you're ready to drop. 

Having said that, the furthest I've been positioned was the vehicle gate by Shangri La so never as far across site as gate D.

Fair point! Hadn't considered that. 

I seem to be permanently at gate D now. It's a bit of a pain on the arse, but depending on the shift I'm often already on site before a shift or staying on site after a shift. And being a supervisor makes it much easier to get the shuttle bus if needed. Although I usually only need to for the start of the early shift or end of the night shift. 

4 hours ago, cerv said:

Does that always work? I thought that east approach for west entry was not for use by regular car punters and more reserved for the various  coaches and other festival vehicles.

We always approach that way on Wednesday afternoon and it's fine. Vast majority of festival traffic sticks to the A37 all the way, but cutting through Shepton Mallet brings you out at temporary lights where you can turn right towards the festival through Pilton. Traffic through the town is always absolutely fine, might queue a little coming up to the lights and then down through the village.

There was a time that we'd somehow end up parked in the field next to gate A every year if we arrived around 2pm. Unfortunately our luck has worn off with that and for the past 3 festivals we've had to walk all the way from the furthest reaches of the pink car parks.

42 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

We always approach that way on Wednesday afternoon and it's fine. Vast majority of festival traffic sticks to the A37 all the way, but cutting through Shepton Mallet brings you out at temporary lights where you can turn right towards the festival through Pilton. Traffic through the town is always absolutely fine, might queue a little coming up to the lights and then down through the village.

There was a time that we'd somehow end up parked in the field next to gate A every year if we arrived around 2pm. Unfortunately our luck has worn off with that and for the past 3 festivals we've had to walk all the way from the furthest reaches of the pink car parks.

30 years ago I used to drive out from Wells and there was a great route where you could leave Wells, turn left before Coxley go through some lanes (often with the odd broken down bus or person walking home the other way), somewhere near The Crossways and you'd eventually emerge in Pilton at a crossroads (which I think had a shop on the left).  You could either go left into a traffic queue, right and join the short queue for the car parks down the hill or (if you were really lucky) drive straight across and park in the village car park.

I believe many aspects of that are blocked off these days to stop other chancers from doing the same thing 🙂