Sneaking in story

waynewdk

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

All these sneaking in stories make me think that there must be an easier way to do it then hopping the fence. 

The thing is, everyone's blagging into glastonbury story is always an entertaining tale if well told so they tend to be quite long.  Mine could be summed up as: We arrived, we walked around the fence, found a panel we could squeeze a gap open on and then got in and set up, but I can make it last half an hour with the assorted descriptions of the curious sights, sounds and experiences we had from the journey there til we were pitched.  It was a hell of an adventure (although not as much as a couple of days later when we blagged our way backstage) and one of my 3 great glastonbury 2000 anecdotes that I trot out from time to time.

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

All these sneaking in stories make me think that there must be an easier way to do it then hopping the fence. 

It's good that it sounds bloody arduous though innit, if it were like the days before the fence then the licence would still be in jeopardy as it was then. 

Edited by clarkete

I definitely don't believe the most recent sneaking in saga above, if only for the unlikeliness of a field of tall wheat in a dairy farming area in June, plus the dialogue from the bit-part actors like the security guard was very NPC: “Cheers lads. You can never be too careful you know, when you see a couple of young lads just loitering about near the entrance...."   (Any security guard who was perturbed by the concept of young people hanging round by the entrance to Glastonbury would have died of stress long before the festival had started.) 

Apologies if it was true, but even if it wasn't, I still thought it was a decent attempt at creative writing - I read it to the end.

I’m sure someone on here said that one year they were sitting in the camper van fields and a group of young blokes jumped over the fence near them, seemingly delighted they’d made it in, then asked them not to tell anyone. Unfortunately for them they’d only scaled the relatively small fence around the campervan field, and not the actual main one.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m sure someone on here said that one year they were sitting in the camper van fields and a group of young blokes jumped over the fence near them, seemingly delighted they’d made it in, then asked them not to tell anyone. Unfortunately for them they’d only scaled the relatively small fence around the campervan field, and not the actual main one.

🤣

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I definitely don't believe the most recent sneaking in saga above, if only for the unlikeliness of a field of tall wheat in a dairy farming area in June, plus the dialogue from the bit-part actors like the security guard was very NPC: “Cheers lads. You can never be too careful you know, when you see a couple of young lads just loitering about near the entrance...."   (Any security guard who was perturbed by the concept of young people hanging round by the entrance to Glastonbury would have died of stress long before the festival had started.) 

Apologies if it was true, but even if it wasn't, I still thought it was a decent attempt at creative writing - I read it to the end.

I can swear on my life that it is true, the incident with the security guard. There is some poetic license in the story admittedly, but that part is pretty much a direct quote. And maybe it wasn't wheat, but something similar to that. It was dark and my farming knowledge isnt the best but it was a crop of something ahahah

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I can swear on my life that it is true, the incident with the security guard. There is some poetic license in the story admittedly, but that part is pretty much a direct quote. And maybe it wasn't wheat, but something similar to that. It was dark and my farming knowledge isnt the best but it was a crop of something ahahah

No worries - it really doesn't matter whether strangers on the internet believe something you say. We're rubbish.  The main thing is that it's an entertaining yarn, and the true/untrue debate only adds to it 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

No worries - it really doesn't matter whether strangers on the internet believe something you say. We're rubbish.  The main thing is that it's an entertaining yarn, and the true/untrue debate only adds to it 

It's an extraordinary thing to be a first post, where the rest of us pop up with a simple hello, or some question that's been asked many times before. 

6 hours ago, Spindles said:

The thing is, everyone's blagging into glastonbury story is always an entertaining tale if well told so they tend to be quite long.  Mine could be summed up as: We arrived, we walked around the fence, found a panel we could squeeze a gap open on and then got in and set up, but I can make it last half an hour with the assorted descriptions of the curious sights, sounds and experiences we had from the journey there til we were pitched.  It was a hell of an adventure (although not as much as a couple of days later when we blagged our way backstage) and one of my 3 great glastonbury 2000 anecdotes that I trot out from time to time.

I've never blagged at Glastonbury, but once did manage to get to the 4th row for the police at Twickenham a few years back. messed up with the tickets that we bought, so ended up in the nose bleed section as far away as you could get, so we thought we'd just try and move to the next section down, when we got there we thought ok, what about a bit nearer, eventually we ended up in row 3 and could see Stings stubble! Some people arrived whose seats we were in so we moved one row back to empty spaces and that was it for the whole night. The punters around us knew what we'd done and even asked us where our real seats were. in the end we didn't take anyone's seats as they obviously didn't turn up. All it took was timing and confidence, we moved through check points when they were busy and when at the final section we just took turns to go to the toilet / bar and made sure to speak to security each time we went out to make sure they knew our faces and point out that the other was still in the seat and they had the tickets.

There's always no shows at gigs, so we didn't do any harm to anyone and the night was a million times better than it would have been if we'd stayed put.

I'd love to try the Glasto sneaking in thing - just for the challenge and reward and would see it as a test of my planning and engineering skills! , but way too old for that now. 

3 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I'd love to try the Glasto sneaking in thing - just for the challenge and reward and would see it as a test of my planning and engineering skills! , but way too old for that now. 

I do this as well, keep thinking about where I might try to break in if I had to. Had picked out a spot that sounds like it was similar to where the story posted here suggests it is.

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I do this as well, keep thinking about where I might try to break in if I had to. Had picked out a spot that sounds like it was similar to where the story posted here suggests it is.

I'm sure alot of us on here have given this quite a bit of thought over the years - its a good test of our site knowledge for a start. In 2019 I had a wander upto Strummerville then followed the little path behind the trees to the top of the above the tipi field.

There was an unmanned (unstaffed i should say) watch tower there and not a sole in sight anywhere, this was the middle of the day and I often think its probably easier at those times then sneaking about at night when everyone is expecting people to try it 🙂

I was just having a general wander not doing research i must add.

52 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'd walk straight through a gate.

Not saying which one, or how I'd do it, but I've got a mental list of about 5 things I'd try, the first two of which I'm confident would both work, and none of them involve going over or under the fence.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

Not saying which one, or how I'd do it, but I've got a mental list of about 5 things I'd try, the first two of which I'm confident would both work, and none of them involve going over or under the fence.

Honestly, a high vis jacket and a busy steward would probably work wonders.

Ok so not a sneaking into Glastonbury tale but at Kendal calling a few years ago I was taking a break chilling under a tree near the fence and noticed 2 lads on the outside carrying armfuls of beer, obviously unlike Glastonbury you can’t take your own beer into KC, so I watched them wondering what they were going to do, my vantage point allowed me to see them just outside the fence, and one by one they started lobbing the beers over the fence, after 5 or 6 came over a woman walked over to the beer and started picking them up, I could see both parties but they couldn’t see each other. Anyway about 15 or so cans came over, and the woman was picking them all up, the lads finished chucking them over and went off in the direction of the gate and the woman walked off with all the beer. Couple of minutes later the 2 lads who by now were on my side of the fence walked up to where  they had lobbed the beer over and were obviously confused as to why there were no cans on the floor, I had assumed the woman was a mate of there’s, but apparently not, she just took advantage of the opportunity, they were having a right barney at each other, wandering up and down the fence line looking for their beer, I was just about to summon up the energy to wander over and tell them what had happened but someone else Beat me to it. It was both hilarious and tragic at the same time.

why on earth they didn’t throw the beer over to a mate on the inside was beyond me.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Ok so not a sneaking into Glastonbury tale but at Kendal calling a few years ago I was taking a break chilling under a tree near the fence and noticed 2 lads on the outside carrying armfuls of beer, obviously unlike Glastonbury you can’t take your own beer into KC, so I watched them wondering what they were going to do, my vantage point allowed me to see them just outside the fence, and one by one they started lobbing the beers over the fence, after 5 or 6 came over a woman walked over to the beer and started picking them up, I could see both parties but they couldn’t see each other. Anyway about 15 or so cans came over, and the woman was picking them all up, the lads finished chucking them over and went off in the direction of the gate and the woman walked off with all the beer. Couple of minutes later the 2 lads who by now were on my side of the fence walked up to where  they had lobbed the beer over and were obviously confused as to why there were no cans on the floor, I had assumed the woman was a mate of there’s, but apparently not, she just took advantage of the opportunity, they were having a right barney at each other, wandering up and down the fence line looking for their beer, I was just about to summon up the energy to wander over and tell them what had happened but someone else Beat me to it. It was both hilarious and tragic at the same time.

why on earth they didn’t throw the beer over to a mate on the inside was beyond me.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Especially since there were two of them...

59 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Honestly, a high vis jacket and a busy steward would probably work wonders.

It certainly could do, but that relies too much on chance.

If I ever had to try it (and I realistically won't, as I've got Oxfam priority though 2027 or something like that) then it'd be a lot more planned and hopefully more foolproof than that.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:05 AM, whitehorses said:

Hanging around in certain car parks and getting in the back of a van coming on site is the only other method other than those discussed I’ve heard of. Two people I know waited 18 hours (2016) and it cost them 150 each. 

During Liam Gallagher in 2017 me and my mate got chatting to this guy who said he got in via a scam with the RFID passouts....not quite sure exactly how it worked but he said he and a few other people had been told to go to a pub in Glastonbury and wait for someone to turn up, and the guy turned up but only 24 hours after they had got there (buy some miracle they found a hotel for the night)

Not sure what the charge was for it, but he didn't have a wristband on as he had to hand it to someone else to get more people in.

Mate of mine bought a pass off some security guy in a pub in 2011 and got in. 

Only time in recent years Ive seen a proper sneak in was 2 lads running through Michaels Mead trodding over tents chased by security guards. But they got away, only for one of them to be nabbed an hour later (at a stall down the bottom of Michaels Mead 😏) because he didnt change clothes and didnt have a wristband on. 

Not sure I could sneak in Glastonbury as I'd be paranoid all weekend that I'd be spotted without a wristband. But I've often thought a good way of sneaking in would be in the middle of a trailer/trolley with stuff piled on top of you. Some of the ones I see in the queues could easily fit you in.

Someone I follow on Instagram got in on a blag in 2019 and it seemed like a lot of waiting and walking around. Until eventually he went a bought someone elses ticket. Bit of a n anti-climax.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:44 AM, incident said:

I could easily have got in via gate C on the Tuesday afternoon 4 years ago. I just strolled through to the wristbands without anyone stopping me, and in front of me was one elderly Oxfam steward looking the other way. I could have sneaked past or outrun her if I’d chosen to. No need as I had a ticket. Bigger problem would have been hiding out until gates opened. 

2 hours ago, Divein said:

Not sure I could sneak in Glastonbury as I'd be paranoid all weekend that I'd be spotted without a wristband

The interesting idea from the story above was just buying any old wristband and putting that on. There's so many different bands and passes for each area as long as you can avoid getting stopped by someone with the photo deck of wristbands you'll likely get away with it once inside.

Edited by Leyrulion

Surely you could put a bunch of old wristbands on too, staple them back together once on just waft them around. Not got a ticket this time so trying for the resale but failing that may have to look at other options, that said, if I'm going to miss a year, with this line up so far, it's not a dealbreaker.

Just now, wozwebs said:

Surely you could put a bunch of old wristbands on too, staple them back together once on just waft them around. Not got a ticket this time so trying for the resale but failing that may have to look at other options, that said, if I'm going to miss a year, with this line up so far, it's not a dealbreaker.

That'd work at places that do a soft check, and certainly would reduce the risk of getting picked up while randomly walking around the site, but wouldn't trust it at the gates. The policy at the Gates at Glastobury is supposed to be a hard check - ie fingers on the wristband, check that it's firmly attached to the wrist, that the texture is correct etc.

• Like 1