Sneaking in story

waynewdk

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It used to be the case that you could cut off the excess 'tail's' from valid wristbands, sew them together (with the needle and thread that was brought to site from those that had legitimately entered) This (homemade) wristband could then be shown to 'people' from a distance (desirably), and worked 100% - at that time. My mate got two tails, and had them sewn to the wrist end of his long sleeved shirt. He experienced no issues - which included repeatedly coming in and out of the festival. 

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

On re entry this year there was more wristband tug tests 

Not to mention the fact that the excess tails these days are black and white with 'VOID' written all over them... I had wondered why they say void all over the tails, but it makes sense now, thanks @Yoghurt on a Stick They obviously got wise to what was happening. 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Not to mention the fact that the excess tails these days are black and white with 'VOID' written all over them... I had wondered why they say void all over the tails, but it makes sense now, thanks @Yoghurt on a Stick They obviously got wise to what was happening. 

I haven't been for years, so had no idea that they had void written on them nowadays However, you are right, in that they must have been tipped off that that was happening. Happy to have solved the mystery for you.

As an aside, I once went to Bestival (when it was on the Isle of Wight), and they made the lanyard ribbons using the same ribbon as the entry wrist bands. Talk about a f**k up. It meant that people were just cutting up the lanyard ribbons and selling them to people with no tickets , so that they got hassle free entry into the festival. 

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I haven't been for years, so had no idea that they had void written on them nowadays However, you are right, in that they must have been tipped off that that was happening. Happy to have solved the mystery for you.

As an aside, I once went to Bestival (when it was on the Isle of Wight), and they made the lanyard ribbons using the same ribbon as the entry wrist bands. Talk about a f**k up. It meant that people were just cutting up the lanyard ribbons and selling them to people with no tickets , so that they got hassle free entry into the festival. 

That sounds almost so ridiculously stupid that if I was a sceptical person I'd say it must have been deliberate to get bigger crowds in and sell more beer!!!

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

That sounds almost so ridiculously stupid that if I was a sceptical person I'd say it must have been deliberate to get bigger crowds in and sell more beer!!!

I totally understand that viewpoint. However, there is an alternative school of though. Maybe they were being hippies. Those that can pay pay, and those who are living of their wits get in too. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I totally understand that viewpoint. However, there is an alternative school of though. Maybe they were being hippies. Those that can pay pay, and those who are living of their wits get in too. 

That would be a nice thought, maybe I'm just too cynical. 🤷‍♂️

On 8/28/2023 at 4:54 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

No, it's OK, don't worry - I am cynical of my own post. You are not alone. 😊

Just to clarify, I don't doubt what you are saying one little bit, the doubt is that it was an 'oversight' to leave a back door so wide open. 

Edited by Alvoram

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Just to clarify, I doubt doubt what you are saying one little bit, the doubt is that it was an 'oversight' to leave a back door so wide open. 

If you put a gun to my head and said choose, then I'd have top agree with you, as opposed to my own notion. Someone dropped a clanger. 

Years ago a mate of mine got into Reading by slicing up an Umbongo carton and wrapping it round his wrist. It was roughly the same colour as the wristbands and he was wearing lots of bangles and bracelets. I thought he had no hope but he just held his arm up and walked straight in.

That was on the Saturday. On the Friday he ran through a hole in the fence where someone was delivering drinks to a stall and on the Sunday he did the old take someone's wristband off and pass it on trick mentioned earlier in the thread.

I presume things have tightened up since then 😄

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

That was on the Saturday. On the Friday he ran through a hole in the fence where someone was delivering drinks to a stall and on the Sunday he did the old take someone's wristband off and pass it on trick mentioned earlier in the thread.

The only time I went to Womad I walked through a traders entrance when the lone security guard was distracted by two young women.