2023 legend slot

ProperTea

35 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

To be fair to yer Erasures, they've had more hits than the 2 I remember.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/23453/erasure/

But they're not big enough for the Legends slot. 

Yes, if not legends then anywhere, strange they havnt been asked, should be given a little respect😉

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

What are the chances that they just sack this off in 2023 and don't have a legend/someone in the 'tea time' slot? I don't think we've ever been this in the dark..

I'm the dark doesn't necessarily mean they don't have anyone, but it does seem unusual. 

24 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

What are the chances that they just sack this off in 2023 and don't have a legend/someone in the 'tea time' slot? I don't think we've ever been this in the dark..

I think they've created the expectation for it now since pushing the "fourth headliner" thing in 2014 - I think it's more likely they'll just reframe it into something else, so they can justify Pulp or Iggy or whoever.

Honestly I think if it was Spice Girls or Robbie that *would* be reframing it into something else anyway. 

I mean we've had 6 festivals since they started billing it as the legends slot, and we all seem agreed that one of those was already the odd one out (ELO) so it's hardly like it's a decade old tradition.

What I think we might see is just having it split out - so Sunday afternoon you get a big, close-to-headline level act, and then an older, poppier act that appeals to the recent legend demographic but without the same level of draw.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Honestly I think if it was Spice Girls or Robbie that *would* be reframing it into something else anyway. 

I'm not sure why, Kylie was 31 years debut album release > legend slot. If we take Robbie as Take That (and we should, Take That propelled him and is still in his setlist) it would be the same timeframe, 31 years. Both pop singalongs that would work great on a sunny afternoon. Spice Girls aren't too far behind either.

It was only officially called the Legends Slot when DiRo did it. Prior to that, up to and including Kylie, it was still billed as The Sunday Teatime Slot.

Though they call it the Legendary Teatime Slot in the blurb for both.

They could go back to that but it would be a kick in the teeth for whoever did it.

Screenshot_20230125_163827_Chrome.thumb.jpg.45ace8f6e7d6a2aa946a36750980d609.jpg

Screenshot_20230125_163851_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ed6c1a3983cb5a12a5ba1a7959801abf.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, BenG92 said:

I'm not sure why, Kylie was 31 years debut album release > legend slot. If we take Robbie as Take That (and we should, Take That propelled him and is still in his setlist) it would be the same timeframe, 31 years. Both pop singalongs that would work great on a sunny afternoon. Spice Girls aren't too far behind either.

They’re quickly running out of the old legend types anyway so they’re gonna have to start moving towards the late 80’s and 90’s soon enough. Might as well get them whilst they’re still touring/in fit form rather then wait it out in the hope that they’re still about and able in a decade or so, which I doubt Spice Girls will, although never say never to a fourth or fifth reunion. 

Just now, AnonAnon said:

Yeah, I think they sub for the Arctic Monkeys owing to the Sheffield link, if it's not Queens of the Stone Age doing that owing to the 'being mates' link.

Given that Iggy has toured with members of Queens and Arctic Monkeys, you could even have a Iggy, Queens, Arctic 3/2/1.

Iggy > QOTSA > AM would be ace.

Well… the Iggy > QOTSA part, anyway. Probably a bit too rockin’ for a 2023 Pyramid lineup though, especially with GnR on the next day as well.

7 minutes ago, AnonAnon said:

Yeah, I think Pulp sub for the Arctic Monkeys owing to the Sheffield link, if it's not Queens of the Stone Age doing that owing to the 'being mates' link.

The Sheffield link would be a nice little bit of programming, but as mentioned already, Pulp would absolutely blow Arctics off the stage. I think subbing Elton is more likely (although same problem to an extent)

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, waltere said:

Might not be anything to do with the festival at all, let alone the legend slot, but I have it on very good authority that an original line up S Club 7 reunion is happening

If I pass a Butlins I’ll be sure to check them out 

I hadn’t thought of Blondie.. definitely legends, loads of great hits, but I agree they’re weirdly underwhelming live - I got tickets to see them in a small club in New York about 10 years ago and it was really nothing special.. can’t quite put my finger on why, maybe I had unrealistic expectations.  They might be great on the pyramid. 

8 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I hadn’t thought of Blondie.. definitely legends, loads of great hits, but I agree they’re weirdly underwhelming live - I got tickets to see them in a small club in New York about 10 years ago and it was really nothing special.. can’t quite put my finger on why, maybe I had unrealistic expectations.  They might be great on the pyramid. 

Get Tall Paul on with them to remix Atomic and I'll be there.

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

The only time I've seen them was a late afternoon slot on the Pyramid in '99. Was all a bit 'meh' as I recall.

Saw Blondie before Phil Collins at BST and they were utterly abysmal.

Not my video, but I had to look them up to see if my memory was playing tricks on me, it wasn’t:

Not legend material, and why they’ve played slots nowhere near it at Glastonbury only relatively recently.

Edited by Jose Pose

17 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Saw Blondie before Phil Collins at BST and they were utterly abysmal.

Not my video, but I had to look them up to see if my memory was playing tricks on me, it wasn’t:

Not legend material, and why they’ve played slots nowhere near it at Glastonbury only relatively recently.

Still sounds better than Diana Ross did 🤣

29 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Believe they already did it. Might have been second 

Yes, after Kaiser Chiefs. And they were bloody awful. So why do people think they would return to be the legend slot? Doesn’t make any sense to me!

10 hours ago, stuie said:

Yes, after Kaiser Chiefs. And they were bloody awful. So why do people think they would return to be the legend slot? Doesn’t make any sense to me!

They are a legendary act for sure with some all time great tunes and an iconic frontwoman, but sadly time has caught up with them.

Debbie is well into her late 70’s now (she’ll turn 78 the week after this year’s fest) and sadly she just can’t hack it anymore.