2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Robbie would be a good choice. It could usher in a new age range for the legend/heritage slot. An hour or so of hits that pretty much everyone knows whether you like him or not, perfect Sunday crowd fodder. I personally wouldn’t be at this slot if Robbie did get it, but I think he would go down a storm

Mark Owen was talking about Take That doing it in an interview last week. Robbie's got to beat Gary to it.

I was watching Robbie going through his years with Dermot O'Leary the other day. Future Glastonbury didn't come up, but he was talking about how he needs a constant next big thing. Glastonbury is already part of his mythos. Coming out with people going hog wild to Let Me Entertain You, then the big Angels singalong. It was seen as him being accepted as an artist in his own right. 2023 would be 25 years since then.

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

Think this is the first legend that I've thought:

"FUCK NO. THAT WILL BE GOD AWFUL."

Excited to be elsewhere rather than in the swell...

I thought this first time he played, he won me over and was rather good.  First legend in a while that may be able to hold a note ...

Id still be elsewhere too tho.

8 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Glastonbury is already part of his mythos. Coming out with people going hog wild to Let Me Entertain You, then the big Angels singalong. It was seen as him being accepted as an artist in his own right. 2023 would be 25 years since then.

Clearly I was in a very different part of the crowd, as there was certainly anticipation, followed by disappointment. 

I notice that even a few of those who say it should happen are keen to point out they will be elsewhere.  As with @Superscally it would be the first for years I wouldn't bother with. 

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Loads of hits

Decent sing a long  

been around for years  

Rock ‘n’ roll royalty  

Still active  

know a good dealer or two  

Status Quo for the Sunday tea time slot. 

Ah but There’s only one of the classic Quo line up left. Mind you they are touring next year with the Glastonbury legend shakin Stevens.  Unfinished business he has with the festival, he owes us a  green door. 😉

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Ah but There’s only one of the classic Quo line up left. Mind you they are touring next year with the Glastonbury legend shakin Stevens.  Unfinished business he has with the festival, he owes us a  green door. 😉

Shakin Stevens can do that 15 slot they have on the pyramid at some point in the weekend. Comes on sings green door then leaves. 

On 10/7/2022 at 1:04 PM, garc1a said:

I thought this first time he played, he won me over and was rather good.  First legend in a while that may be able to hold a note ...

Id still be elsewhere too tho.

He can hold a note, but his songwriters have chosen to couple them to such awful lyrics and assemble them in a fucking god awful order. 

Edited by Superscally

On 10/9/2022 at 6:36 AM, Superscally said:

The best place for Robbie is 10000 miles away from Glastonbury 

But not in this direction!

I calculated the distance between the Pyramid stage and the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) where the AFL Grand Final took place is a total of 10,613 miles. Somewhere as far away from both points puts Robbie somewhere at the bottom of the South Pacific ocean off the coast of Chile, which seems a bit harsh, but would spare us Rock DJ.

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

But not in this direction!

I calculated the distance between the Pyramid stage and the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) where the AFL Grand Final took place is a total of 10,613 miles. Somewhere as far away from both points puts Robbie somewhere at the bottom of the South Pacific ocean off the coast of Chile, which seems a bit harsh, but would spare us Rock DJ.

I'd let him have a boat. I'm no monster.

Saw Robbie at the O2 arena last night. Hadn't listened to him for a while but his music in 1998-2002 was a big part of my youth so thought I'd go along. 

After that experience, I couldn't imagine an artist better suited for the legend slot (or even somewhere on the bill on the pyramid in the afternoon). The crowd was surprisingly wild throughout the show (particularly opening with Let Me Entertain You which goes off). His crowd engagement is hard to beat. His band was great, his dancers were great. Very few lulls in the setlist, and if he cut out 30-45 mins for Glastonbury it would be rammed with singalongs. 

Plus it seems like he really wants to do Glastonbury, so would go all out/want to make it memorable. 

He even spoke about his first time at Glastonbury and did a cover of Don't Look Back in Anger as a tribute to the lads he hung out with there (not sure how they'd feel about that). 

Anyway, not sure why all the hate or why a legend still has to be in retirement age to be considered appropriate for the slot. 

• Upvote 1