ukraine appeal

Neil

the disasters  emergency committee is running an appeal in aid of the Ukrainian refugees, the public response in the neighbouring countries has been superb, there's not much we can do from here to help. i've just donated £50 cos i can't imagine the hardship these people are going thru and will be for a lot longer, until they can go home.

https://www.dec.org.uk/

The owner of a haulage company in the town I live in has a Ukrainian wife and is taking a HGV to the Poland Ukraine border on Monday morning. We’ve donated some useful supplies and cash to pay for fuel. 

The idea that one day you are going about your normal business and the next day the town or city you live in is under fire and you are having to shelter and fear for your life or abandon your home puts the worries about whether to take walking boots or wellies into stark contrast. 

• Like 1

Companies have been donating supplies such as nappies, food etc but cash is vital as the cost of transportation is huge given the current price of fuel. Sadly it looks as if we are in for a protracted war that will displace so many. The sight of wifes and children leaving their husbands and fathers behind in a war zone is heartbreaking. Donation given, thanks for the link. 

And note that the government will match any donation pound for pound , remember gift aid as well.

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Companies have been donating supplies such as nappies, food etc but cash is vital as the cost of transportation is huge given the current price of fuel. Sadly it looks as if we are in for a protracted war that will displace so many. The sight of wifes and children leaving their husbands and fathers behind in a war zone is heartbreaking. Donation given, thanks for the link. 

And note that the government will match any donation pound for pound , remember gift aid as well.

This. 

'Stuff' is sort of fine, but cash is better. Then the people who know exactly what is needed, can buy exactly what is needed.

Edited by philipsteak

Somebody owed me £50 and was going to pay it back but told me about this match for match thing by the Government. So, I told him tp put that £50 in. he said he would - and he will.

As an aside my wife said to me last night that obtaining cash etc might be difficult for individual people needing money as the banks have been hit with people taking cash out. She then muted the possibility that maybe crypto could be used if this became a problem. I don't really know about the ins and outs, but know that I'll probably be donating more cash.

Yes we donated to DEC this week as well. If it makes the government cough up more it seems the best way to donate. Apparently Brexit is making it a fucking nightmare for things that have been donated with lots of people being turned back due to having insufficient paperwork.  

37 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

According to bbc reports Emily has added the Red Cross Ukraine appeal to the regular charities the festival contributes to.  Fine gesture. 

Yes it's on the poster as well as the Ukrainian flag colours on the border of the poster. A lovely little touch and one of the many reasons why Glastonbury is such a class festival.  

23 hours ago, Neil said:

the disasters  emergency committee is running an appeal in aid of the Ukrainian refugees, the public response in the neighbouring countries has been superb, there's not much we can do from here to help. i've just donated £50 cos i can't imagine the hardship these people are going thru and will be for a lot longer, until they can go home.

https://www.dec.org.uk/

Done. 

I bank with the Coop and they emailed me a DEC link saying that they too will be chipping in match funding like the UK government.  Lobbed in my £50 so, hopefully a double bonus for the DEC.