2022 Secret Sets/Special Guests

Hugh Jass

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm expecting there to be a few 'special guests' slots on the major stages when the full line up comes out. Foals on the Park stage showed how it doesn't work having major acts on smaller stages, so the only way to do it is reserve big stage slots.

I think it still works in the John Peel Tent as it's a lot easier to just close that field off entirely. 

Could stick The 1975 as a 'secret set' opener for the Pyramid on the Friday. Would be great publicity for them to kick off the festival, and would get a huge crowd for that time. Would actually feel like a special opening to the festival having a major act as a surprise rather than 'lol, here's the Kaiser Chiefs'. 

Not that I'm a fan of The 1975, but it would work for all parties. 

11 minutes ago, sisco said:

The Vampire Weekend secret set at The Park in the morning was brilliant, more like that please 

That was a brilliant start to the day. Really lovely and a great set-up to the Brett Anderson talk in the Crows Nest and a walk around Glastonbury on Sea. I wonder if Medium Sized Bands doing Obscurity/Request sets" could become a thing?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

A run down of how may or may not pop up on the farm despite not being on the poster...

Foo Fighters - Gigging Saturday and Monday but free Friday/Sunday. Perhaps not a full band secret set (but can't be ruled out) but I'd be shocked if Sprinty Dave didn't appear over the weekend in some capcity.

Florence and the Machine - Is playing Euro festivals but nothing on the slate for the UK yet (Latitiude?) Seems a strong contender for this year's "secret set with one eye on a bigger slot next year" place.

The 1975 - Rumours of a new album dropping on the Friday of GF and a secret set to launch it.

Mumford and Sons - Well we know they were going to do something in 2020 so maybe they've been asked back? The cancelling of one of the chief banjo botherers might make it less likely.

Chris Martin - It's when and where, not if. Just make your peace with him shuffling on stage during at least one set you're enjoying.

Dr Dre - Just imagine...

1975 and Florence both seem likely. I'm hoping for the Foos personally, although I don't think you could put them anywhere for a secret/unannounced set other than Pyramid or Other Stage without causing a potential dangerously busy crowd. Could see Dave Grohl turning up on stage with Paul McCartney if he's playing. Dre would be unreal of course, suppose if he was a guest for Kendrick then it wouldn't be completely out of the question - but still reckon he would rather be billed on the line up (and paid), which he'd headline.

1 hour ago, George1399 said:

Green Day could be a contender - Friday, Sat and Monday gigs across London, Huddersfield and Dublin respectively.

I'm sure I've seen them say somewhere they're more than up for doing it

Not a bad shout actually, Billie Joe was bouncing about the farm in 2019 to catch his son's band and I can't see where else they'd fit on a Glasto line up in 2022. Would mean four nights in a row for them, but wouldn't put it past them.

Would like to see a secret set from The Streets somewhere. Mike self confirmed for 2020 under his own name and can't see why he wouldn't roll that over, and if he's about anyway then I could see it happening. The JP tent was absolutely rammed when they headlined it in on the Sunday in 2019, I couldn't even get in - so maybe on The Park stage, or better so a random stage in one of the areas in the SE corner at 2am or something.

Edited by Col!n

37 minutes ago, Col!n said:

1975 and Florence both seem likely. I'm hoping for the Foos personally, although I don't think you could put them anywhere for a secret/unannounced set other than Pyramid or Other Stage without causing a potential dangerously busy crowd. Could see Dave Grohl turning up on stage with Paul McCartney if he's playing. Dre would be unreal of course, suppose if he was a guest for Kendrick then it wouldn't be completely out of the question - but still reckon he would rather be billed on the line up (and paid), which he'd headline.

Foos are busy on Saturday, which is when Macca is supposedly playing.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I'm expecting there to be a few 'special guests' slots on the major stages when the full line up comes out. Foals on the Park stage showed how it doesn't work having major acts on smaller stages, so the only way to do it is reserve big stage slots.

What do you mean it ‘didn’t work’?

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Too many people, basically. The field couldn’t handle a crowd that size. The sound was poor at the back and the number of people was borderline dangerous. 

As @Hugh Jass says about JP, they’ll continue but just manage it better. The whole point of putting big acts on small stages is intimacy, and with that comes exclusivity.

A little surprised they didn’t close the Park off and start turning away like I believe they did with Radiohead and Pulp. But generally I think the crowd is sensible enough at Glastonbury that if they can’t see or hear the act then they’ll just go somewhere else rather than storming through the audience.

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

As a Glasto virgin has does one come about identifying and finding the secret gigs? Holes in the line up posters? 

Often the rumours fly around, word of mouth & on social media. For The Killers as an example, it was so well known in advance they had to close off the JP tent well in advance of the gig. there is/was a specific Secret Glastonbury Twitter.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Often the rumours fly around, word of mouth & on social media. For The Killers as an example, it was so well known in advance they had to close off the JP tent well in advance of the gig. there is/was a specific Secret Glastonbury Twitter.

Saw it on the SecretGlasto twitter page (which is always a good follow for this type of thing) which made my mind up to go solo and see Frank Carter first, lovely Sunday afternoon that was.

31 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

As a Glasto virgin has does one come about identifying and finding the secret gigs? Holes in the line up posters? 

Tbh there will be gaps in set times and yes there will be double sets and all but I wouldn’t advise planning your weekend around it.

When you arrive you will soon realise how busy your schedule is before adding secret sets in. There’s not enough time to see all the acts you want on the poster let alone on the full lineup + secret sets.

Keep notifications from the festival on / the app and the secret Glasto Twitter page. But bare in mind that you will hear some absolutely dog shit rumours over the weekend from strangers. Keep everything with a pinch of salt.