Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Charlatans at the new venue New Century Hall in Manchester. They were on good form played Between 10th and 11th for 30yr anniversary  then a mixed hits set. Venue was good, very loud, not too big and all shiny and new, bar downstairs looked decent too. Good to have somewhere new to listen to live music.

Edited by noplacelikehome
Typo

Craig Finn and the Uptown Controllers at Green Door Store in Brighton last night, support from Scott Lavene.

Lavene was cool, a bit Bean on Toast-esque. Never heard of him before, always good to see something new.

Only recently got into Craig Finn, turned onto him and the Hold Steady courtesy of @Gnomicide. Great show, such a good storyteller and sounded great. Band was really tight as well. Just starting the UK leg of the tour, well worth seeing.

20220923_204944.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, noplacelikehome said:

Charlatans at the new venue New Century Hall in Manchester. They were on good form played Between 10th and 11th for 30yr anniversary  then a mixed hits set. Venue was good, very loud, not too big and all shiny and new, bar downstairs looked decent too. Good to have somewhere new to listen to live music.

Going to see confidence man in November, what are the drink options and prices like?

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

Just back from a California fly/drive. Caught a few shows, mainly to visit the venues.

Steven Adler (ex GnR) doing a set of mainly Guns songs at the Whisky

Reggae night at the Hollywood Bowl

plus caught the first night of the Monterey Jazz Festival, held at the iconic Monterey County Fairgrounds 

Oh cool. I cant wait to go back. Loved LA.

How did Adler sound? 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Oh cool. I cant wait to go back. Loved LA.

How did Adler sound? 

He’s put together a band that is pretty much a GNR tribute - which is pretty much what people want. They were great - the singer sounds a lot like 80’s Axl and they nailed the songs. Not my video, but this was the same night:

You going back soon? LA is mad (especially driving in it) but great fun. I was hoping to go to the Greek, but there was literally nothing on there when we were in town

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

He’s put together a band that is pretty much a GNR tribute - which is pretty much what people want. They were great - the singer sounds a lot like 80’s Axl and they nailed the songs. Not my video, but this was the same night:

You going back soon? LA is mad (especially driving in it) but great fun. I was hoping to go to the Greek, but there was literally nothing on there when we were in town

No one swings like Adler. They never sounded the same after he left. That vid sounds like proper GnR. There was a Zeppelin cover band on when I was in the Whisky. Good but a bit Spinal Tap. Went into the Rainbow and the Viper Rooms for a couple of drinks too

It could be a few years tbh. Was there in 2016 for 3 weeks. Drove all over. Only did 2 days in LA. Ill do 4 or 5 next time. Rent a place in Venice.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:51 PM, MrHew said:

Saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor in Bristol on Monday. I've wanted to see them for years and they didn't disappoint. Bloody mind-blowing.

Was my first big gig post pandemic, it felt SO good to be back! 

They were epic. Shame it was so excessively hot in there though!

Caroline Rose at Soup in Manchester. Bit too sold out for me so ended up with a view from the side of the stage which was a great view but impacted on the sound a bit. 

Great gig but let down a touch by odd song placement and a bit too much crowd banter. Keyboard player took a tumble off stage at the end. 

On 9/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, panda97 said:

Went to see Frank Turner at Rock City last night, first time seeing him and he was great, fantastic show, brilliant set list including a rare performance of Thatcher F*cked The Kids, place was absolutely packed. First time at Rock City in a long time and forgot just how great a venue it is!

First Frank tour I've skipped in the best part of a decade. Never been a fan of his more shouty stuff and the new album went a bit too far down that route for me.

The Lemonheads at the Roundhouse for me tonight. The gig basically had 3 sections. The first was Evan doing a small accoustic set. Followed with a band playing "Its a shame about Ray" in full and then a mixed set of "hits & bits" with a few guests playing guitar.

As usual the tracks were not perfect with plenty of adjusting/tuning guitars going on betweeen songs but that's a given if you go to see The Lemonheads. This was one of those nights where he did not seem to be high as a kite. There is a certain charm to Evans imperfect performances and awkward way when he is not completly out of it. His voice seems to have matured in to a rich deep country tone although there always was a  certain country element to his songs and style.

I loved his performance. It had everything accoustic, sad songs, guests, singalongs and as expected the end of the show was not built up to a high, it just ended. The band walked off and he picked up a guitar and played one last song and it was all over. No place for slick production and bells and whistles when you see Evan.

The duet of "Into Your Arms" with Courtney Love was a many splendid thing. There voices complemented each other wonderfully although the juxtaposition between the lively, confident Courtney bouncing all over the place and an awkward Evan standing at the side of the stage was odd. God, I love Evan.

9 hours ago, Dales said:

The Lemonheads at the Roundhouse for me tonight. The gig basically had 3 sections. The first was Evan doing a small accoustic set. Followed with a band playing "Its a shame about Ray" in full and then a mixed set of "hits & bits" with a few guests playing guitar.

As usual the tracks were not perfect with plenty of adjusting/tuning guitars going on betweeen songs but that's a given if you go to see The Lemonheads. This was one of those nights where he did not seem to be high as a kite. There is a certain charm to Evans imperfect performances and awkward way when he is not completly out of it. His voice seems to have matured in to a rich deep country tone although there always was a  certain country element to his songs and style.

I loved his performance. It had everything accoustic, sad songs, guests, singalongs and as expected the end of the show was not built up to a high, it just ended. The band walked off and he picked up a guitar and played one last song and it was all over. No place for slick production and bells and whistles when you see Evan.

The duet of "Into Your Arms" with Courtney Love was a many splendid thing. There voices complemented each other wonderfully although the juxtaposition between the lively, confident Courtney bouncing all over the place and an awkward Evan standing at the side of the stage was odd. God, I love Evan.

I agree. It was superb. 

19 hours ago, Skip997 said:

What!

there was a time he didn't do shouty stuff?

Most of the early albums and still a good half of the recent albums. Not the half that gets played live though! I imagine the acoustic sit down storytelling shows he did just pre-pandemic will be peak Frank for me.