Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 10/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Boomtowner said:

The Reytons at Sheffield, playing to 12,500 fans, a joyous evening with great support from Declan Walsh and the K's. Definitely deserve an opportunity on the farm.

Great show and a fantastic crowd.

The Reytons were offered an early set on Park stage last year for £100. They unsurprisingly said no. 

41 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

The Reytons were offered an early set on Park stage last year for £100. They unsurprisingly said no. 

Not to dismiss this, but they really don’t strike me as an act who would be booked for the Park, even early doors. Sound much more like a Woodsies kind of deal.

£100 though. Is that really all bands are offered for (presumably) opening sets on one of the five main stages? Yeesh if true. 

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not to dismiss this, but they really don’t strike me as an act who would be booked for the Park, even early doors. Sound much more like a Woodsies kind of deal.

£100 though. Is that really all bands are offered for (presumably) opening sets on one of the five main stages? Yeesh if true. 

My friend was on the tour party with them and Lottery Winners late last year year and is the source of the info. Reytions were paid in the thousands for Isle of Wight so they werent overly impressed from what I have heard. 

Just now, Nestacres said:

My friend was on the tour party with them and Lottery Winners late last year year and is the source of the info. Reytions were paid in the thousands for Isle of Wight so they werent overly impressed from what I have heard. 

Seems kind of unbelievable for it to be that low… although they wouldn’t be the first act to complain about Glastonbury’s low pay offers.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm shocked, I'd have guessed £100 at a minimum for the Bandstand. Makes you wonder what proportion of acts approached turn it down due to the price.

3 hours ago, Badlands said:

Depends on how much value bands take on free passes for the weekend?

Yep I suppose the lower down the order you are then the free tickets must be a big draw especially as you probably get some crew ones as well.

It's a very difficult balancing act as the amount of performer tickets does impact the number of paying tickets they can sell. It probably does mean that a lot of the acts you see there from lower down the bill just really wanted the opportunity to go and perform there but I know certainly acts like Gwenno have said going to Glastonbury is usually done at a loss to the artist.

PJ Harvey finished the Irish/UK leg of the I Inside the Old Year Dying tour in Manchester tonight. According to the info, Johnny Marr joined the encore, playing C’mon Billy and White Chalk together with Polly and the band.

The pick of the encore for the eight shows so far has been invariably these two songs except for Glasgow second night I attended. This is one area I feel 2016-2017 The Hope Six Demolition Project tour surpasses in. There was quite a variety of the songs chosen for the encore night by night on the previous tour. Wish she mixed it up this time, too.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pj-harvey/2023/albert-hall-manchester-england-73a3c6a9.html

On way back from mary wallopers in camden ,17 hr round trip but worth it ,

Pleasure to see young people enjoying a ggod night out embracing irish songs that have been given a new twist

Reminds me of early pogues gigs raw and full of energy

• Upvote 1

Louis dunford at Hammersmith apollo last night was a blast really enjoyed it 

15 gigs so far all sold out and hasnt released an album yet

Listening to ballad of benjamin always brings a lump in me throat 

First time seeing him live hope he does a proper tour soon

The last dinner party supported by Picture Parlour at the Manc Academy last night.

TLDP were good. A nice variety of tunes. The lead singer is ace. A real stage presence. The last 2 tunes (Godzilla & Nothing Matters) were by far the stand out. There were a few less bouncy numbers which didnt hit the spot for me.

Support act, Picture Parlour. I preferred them tbh. Had not heard of them beforehand. AM era Arctic Monkeys vibes at times. Will see them if they are knocking about around here soon.

9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The last dinner party supported by Picture Parlour at the Manc Academy last night.

TLDP were good. A nice variety of tunes. The lead singer is ace. A real stage presence. The last 2 tunes (Godzilla & Nothing Matters) were by far the stand out. There were a few less bouncy numbers which didnt hit the spot for me.

Support act, Picture Parlour. I preferred them tbh. Had not heard of them beforehand. AM era Arctic Monkeys vibes at times. Will see them if they are knocking about around here soon.

Off to see the concert in Hull on Sunday, really excited for it!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:06 AM, cidy said:

On way back from mary wallopers in camden ,17 hr round trip but worth it ,

Pleasure to see young people enjoying a ggod night out embracing irish songs that have been given a new twist

Reminds me of early pogues gigs raw and full of energy

Absolutely f**king love their new album. Definitely gonna go to see them on their next tour.

Saw squid in Bristol last night on first of their two nights at SWX. Enjoyed it and band sounded tight as when I have seen them twice before.

Some of the new album tracks sounded good live , and also the little interludes between songs that link it all together are often real set highlights for me.

on balance prob enjoyed the gig I watched at marble factory back in 2021 a little more just because it had a few earlier songs I love which have now dropped out the setlist (houseplants, sludge, cleaner). Fair enough when touring a new album though 

missed the support band ‘blue bendy’ unfortunately as mate got delayed and he had the tickets 

Madonna last night at the O2.  Definitely a return to form.. I was apprehensive about how she’d be post ICU / knee operations and given recent performances being decidedly dodgy.. but she put on a stunning show. 
The staging was impressive, costumes great, vocally on form.. there were a few obviously lip synced numbers (justify my love for one) and others with a backing track with her live vocals on top.. but many others she was fully live and sounding great.

Definitely not bounding around the stage like a 20 year old anymore but still doing the choreo for songs like Don’t Tell Me which looked great. 
Set list had lots of hits, more ballads but you’d expect than given she can’t do wall to wall high energy dance routines anymore.  They were some of the highlights though, like Live To Tell and bad girl which were beautifully done.
It wasn’t a perfect show, the narrative and momentum got lost a little in the middle and some of the big hits were just chopped up with other things which made you wish she’d just done the whole song instead…but there were some really great iconic Madonna moments, epic staging and I’d love to see her do an adapted version for the pyramid.  

IMG_8275.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 10/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, internetjef said:

Saw squid in Bristol last night on first of their two nights at SWX. Enjoyed it and band sounded tight as when I have seen them twice before.

Some of the new album tracks sounded good live , and also the little interludes between songs that link it all together are often real set highlights for me.

on balance prob enjoyed the gig I watched at marble factory back in 2021 a little more just because it had a few earlier songs I love which have now dropped out the setlist (houseplants, sludge, cleaner). Fair enough when touring a new album though 

missed the support band ‘blue bendy’ unfortunately as mate got delayed and he had the tickets 

Also saw Squid in Bristol, but on Saturday. Really enjoyed my time, and think they're one of the best Post Punk bands out there, but the setlists do miss the older cult tracks imo. No Pamphlets, Cleaner, Pamphlets as you mentioned does bring the vibe down a little I feel - we did get Siphon song though!

• Like 1