Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Saw Orbital at the 02 academy in Bristol on Friday night, was really good! the new tunes complimented the classics nicely.

Also caught DMA's at Rough Trade Bristol last night, seems a little odd that they haven't played the festival yet as they are on their 4th album, they would be a nice Other Stage addition for me.

Kruder and Dorfmeister, Lost Horizon HQ, Bristol last night.

Great venue.

They played a three hour set, not the four hours advertised, which was a relief TBH. They started off okay, but then descended into what were technically good remixes of somewhat cheezy dance classics and popular tunes, but just not Kruder and Dorfmeister (at least not the K and D I know). This lasted about two and a half hours, after which they turned into the "real K and D" and played about half an hour from the K and D sessions.

Fortunately the DJ's preceding and following were IMO better, at least for my musical taste, no idea who they were.

I wasn't alone in my dissapointment as a significant number left at about 2am and plenty more retreated to the large smoking area as the numbers on the dance floor gradually thinned. Whereas it was full during the preceeding DJ, it was half empty about half way through K and D's set. TBH if this had been at a festival I'd have gone to a different venue.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with what they're currently doing.

17 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Kruder and Dorfmeister, Lost Horizon HQ, Bristol last night.

Great venue.

They played a three hour set, not the four hours advertised, which was a relief TBH. They started off okay, but then descended into what were technically good remixes of somewhat cheezy dance classics and popular tunes, but just not Kruder and Dorfmeister (at least not the K and D I know). This lasted about two and a half hours, after which they turned into the "real K and D" and played about half an hour from the K and D sessions.

Fortunately the DJ's preceding and following were IMO better, at least for my musical taste, no idea who they were.

I wasn't alone in my dissapointment as a significant number left at about 2am and plenty more retreated to the large smoking area as the numbers on the dance floor gradually thinned. Whereas it was full during the preceeding DJ, it was half empty about half way through K and D's set. TBH if this had been at a festival I'd have gone to a different venue.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with what they're currently doing.

Thanks for the write up. As you know I wanted to go. I did read that they veer away from the sound they are know for for more dance "friendly" flavours. I have never seen them so maybe they have always been like it.  Glad the other DJs floated your boat

9 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Thanks for the write up. As you know I wanted to go. I did read that they veer away from the sound they are know for for more dance "friendly" flavours. I have never seen them so maybe they have always been like it.  Glad the other DJs floated your boat

I had a few conversations with other disappointed folks who had also come for "the sound they are known for".

4 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Im not sure if I can bring myself to go see him now, but... what kind of audience would a Morrissey concert attract? People who feel they can separate the man and his art from the man and his politics or people who want to see him because they embrace his politics? 

I'd imagine mainly the former; I'm not aware that he's now got a sizeable right-wing following. I'm old enough to have seen The Smiths (3 times), but have never seen Moz solo - not so much because of his politics (although that possibly would stop me now), but mainly because his solo career never really did anything for me. That said, I've got friends who will happily still go see him live, despite disagreeing with his viewpoint.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:38 PM, Franco Baresi said:

Saw Orbital at the 02 academy in Bristol on Friday night, was really good! the new tunes complimented the classics nicely.

I saw Orbital in Glasgow, it was great. I was really hyped up to see them as I love the new album, they didn't disappoint. 

20 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Im not sure if I can bring myself to go see him now, but... what kind of audience would a Morrissey concert attract? People who feel they can separate the man and his art from the man and his politics or people who want to see him because they embrace his politics? 

Probably more of the former but I wouldn't be surprised with some of the latter. I last saw him in 2014 and had reservations about that. Big Smiths fan and a lot of his solo work (unfairly maligned imo) but wouldn't see him again. The song on Low in High School glorifying apartheid was the last straw personally for giving him any money or listening to his music. 

Also caught DMA's at Rough Trade Bristol last night, seems a little odd that they haven't played the festival yet as they are on their 4th album, they would be a nice Other Stage addition for me.

I saw them in William's Green in 2016 although think it was a (not so) secret set.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, anditmakesmesmile said:

Before social media, the fans would believe Morrissey was misquoted and misunderstood any time he was off colour in an interview. But now the things he comes out with in his own blog have proved his detractors right all along (and this started at least as far back as 1992 when he supported Madness). I think they mostly just don't care.

I went to that. Arrived a bit late and was stuck at the back as it was so rammed which was a shame, but a great little set. I think they've said they want to get back to Glastonbury, so hope they can.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 3:23 PM, anditmakesmesmile said:

I went to see him a few years back after seeing The Smiths years ago (obvs.). I enjoyed the gig, but realised that I was ignoring his nasty opinions, so no chance I'd give him any of my cash now. Its a shame, as seeing some footage of him last year live, he can still perform ok (despite looking a state now when he whips off his shirt) - certainly a load better than fellow Mancunian contrarian Ian Brown who is absolutely dire.

Stick with Johnny Marr is my advice.

Saw Black Honey at Koko in Camden last night, they were sick! Supported by Bad Nerves and amazingly... Elvis haha 

crowd was a great vibe and so nice to be able to go to a gig for under £15 in London!! Koko's such a great venue was gutted when it shut 

PXL_20230412_195304311.thumb.jpg.98f1ef4538cff317681041cde4f0b10f.jpg

Yo La Tengo were incredible last night. Had a lovely evening drifting away in my balcony seat, whiskey in hand.

When they closed the first set with 'Miles Away' I honestly think it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard at a show. Spellbinding.

Was selfishly hoping for a few more oldies that I haven't heard them play before, but never going to complain about thunderous versions of 'Deeper Into Movies' and 'I Heard You Looking'.

Elvana at Holmfirth Picturedrome last night we’re brilliant - as always. I’m now suffering with mosh legs, headbang neck and a crippling hangover but it was worth it. Catch them at Avalon if you can. So much fun. 

On 4/15/2023 at 7:46 AM, The Nal said:

Gaz Coombes in Dublin last night. If you're a fan go see him. Best I've seen him by a mile.

Very much looking forward to him hitting Cambridge next week…..

still think he will get a half decent Park or Woodsies slot 🤞