Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Watain in London last friday - absolutley fantastic.

i first saw Watain in 2005, and i've not seen them in i think 5 or 6 years... its amazing seeing how their stage show has evolved - the stage set is incredible.

and E. is one of the best frontmen out there.

supports were up and down - never heard of either Bolzer or Tribulation before.

Bolzer - really enjoyed their set, liked the music, bit odd seeing a death metal two-piece!

Tribulation - unfortunately the best thing about them is their logo. note: if you are going to have a 7 minute intro tape, then you best have the goods to back it up....

Abbath - i saw Immortal back in the 90s, i never really liked Immortal and dont care for Abbath's solo stuff - he does what he does, its a good show i guess, but not for me.

Watain - FUCKING AWESOME. 

Troxy - never been there before but really like the venue. but - £7.25 for a pint of Hells - you can fuck right off.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nikkic said:

That's really impressive dude

Yeah thanks. Sometimes people think its just the gear that makes things look good, its not, thats just part of it. But it was fun chatting up with lots of people around me all weekend because i was with in it with them and talking music and gigs we've seen. Dont normally get to chat that much with people because if youre in the front you might get a few who ask a question and such and thats it. Had an hour to kill waiting for AM  for example so it was  cool talking with the people around me and they were freaking out when I told em I had seen them on their first big u.s. tour in 2006. Tons of first timers. I felt like the grandpa simpson meme telling war stories.

Anyway, with that, for now, Pitchfork Festival in Chicago. One of my favorite smaller festivals and still a good value considering the rising costs. About $220 for a 3 day. I was $150 for years before covid stepped in. Max cap is just over 20,000. 3 stages, the 2 main alternate and the smaller one just goes in between. Youre able to see everyone if you choose and splitting in between the 2 big stages and the small one is easy since its maybe a 5 min walk to the other side of the park. Fest ends at 10, but they have side shows if you want to catch more music. also bars dont close til 4 am anyway. You can wlak around with a beer in hand btw. they have a god selection and do a collab with an artist on a beer. Thisyear Japanese Breakfast did one. Although I think I cursed us because since we got almost no rain at glasto, all the rain came to chicago with me. Poured for 80% of Friday so it was a mess the rest of the weekend. Luckily no lightning or we wouldve had an evacuation. highlights include The Armed, Mitski, the Roots, Indigo De Souza, Magdalena Bay, Dawn Richard, Japanese Breakfast. TKay Maizda and Badbadnotgood canceled due to visa and covid issues sadly. Although The Linda Lindas were one of the replacements which was great.

cate-le-bon-1_52254851685_o.jpg

crowd-2_52253385742_o.jpg

crowd-4_52254851545_o.jpg

crowd-36_52254640294_o.jpg

crowd-48_52254352686_o.jpg

crowd-57_52253381227_o.jpg

crowd-78_52254850750_o.jpg

crowd-80_52254352321_o.jpg

crowd-88_52254850625_o.jpg

crowd-91_52254636174_o.jpg

crowd-94_52253384687_o.jpg

crowd-106_52254850510_o.jpg

dawn-richard-7_52254847155_o.jpg

dry-cleaning-2_52254372603_o.jpg

indigo-desouza-1_52253383847_o.jpg

japanese-breakfast-9_52254846965_o.jpg

magdalena-bay-3_52254849295_o.jpg

mitski-1_52254635574_o.jpg

noname-2_52254849120_o.jpg

pink-siifu-4_52254350396_o.jpg

the-armed-4_52254368758_o.jpg

the-armed-14_52254368728_o.jpg

the-armed-36_52254637399_o.jpg

the-linda-lindas-4_52254635309_o.jpg

the-national-3_52254848305_o.jpg

the-roots-1_52254347621_o.jpg

wiki-1_52254370253_o.jpg

xenia-rubinos-2_52254370148_o.jpg

yeule-2_52253381627_o.jpg

23 hours ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

Watain in London last friday - absolutley fantastic.

i first saw Watain in 2005, and i've not seen them in i think 5 or 6 years... its amazing seeing how their stage show has evolved - the stage set is incredible.

and E. is one of the best frontmen out there.

supports were up and down - never heard of either Bolzer or Tribulation before.

Bolzer - really enjoyed their set, liked the music, bit odd seeing a death metal two-piece!

Tribulation - unfortunately the best thing about them is their logo. note: if you are going to have a 7 minute intro tape, then you best have the goods to back it up....

Abbath - i saw Immortal back in the 90s, i never really liked Immortal and dont care for Abbath's solo stuff - he does what he does, its a good show i guess, but not for me.

Watain - FUCKING AWESOME. 

Troxy - never been there before but really like the venue. but - £7.25 for a pint of Hells - you can fuck right off.

Saw Watain at Bloodstock a couple of years back, absolutely spectacular live. Not the easiest band for the organisers to work with but the payoff was a flame fuelled end to the festival. Excellent band.

@Suprefan I feel like theres a gap in the US market for festivals with big hitter headliners but then shit undercard. Think BST, or maybe like Kalorama that i went to this year in Portugal (£80 for the weekend early bird with AM, Chems, Kraftwerk, Nick Cave and Disclosure).

Los Angeles is huge and can do doubt support these kind of festivals - and have them not at ridiculous prices.

A middle ground i guess

8 hours ago, gfa said:

@Suprefan I feel like theres a gap in the US market for festivals with big hitter headliners but then shit undercard. Think BST, or maybe like Kalorama that i went to this year in Portugal (£80 for the weekend early bird with AM, Chems, Kraftwerk, Nick Cave and Disclosure).

Los Angeles is huge and can do doubt support these kind of festivals - and have them not at ridiculous prices.

A middle ground i guess

We got plenty of that. Theres a bunch of those but im not gonna post the boatload of them that exist around the country. The thing is theres lineups that seem ok the first few lines and take a nosedive now. Lolla this year and last year are like that. The issue with them is the 4th day now. They spread their artists too thin and what would look like a solid lineup if if was 3 days is very watered down as 4. In LA there is way too much happening normally and adding a lot more single day fests and such is not good. As I mentioned Primavera LA gave away a lot of tickets for their festival. Price point was way off and it didnt match the talent. If i showed you the constant emails I get for discounted tickets you would be in for s surprise. Like tomorrow night The Cult are playing with 3 other acts at the greek which holds 6500. Was offered tix for $15. Theres dozens like that every week of not strong sales. Tom Jones earlier this week had tickets for $20. Even Jack White back in June had a $33 ticket offer.  Heres one radio fest in dec. Along with some stuff form the summer

B3B1FC4E-462A-44BC-8106-F0C3D74C7154.jpeg

40C8DC86-6C2E-4EB6-91B1-4AF447F84904.jpeg

D8D76F2A-1B68-4CB6-BC62-459671CEA24E.jpeg

56773C59-4071-4A1B-80F0-F4BE8DDBF61B.png

A215628F-76B6-425A-9994-0A13A2912159.jpeg

4F782BA0-6165-4DD5-B14B-D7947F57F2AE.png

03518C64-94CE-45FE-9D16-AB1841DDCC3C.png

Alvvays were excellent in Leeds the other night. Great to finally have them back - hopefully they do a nice little festival run next year.  Pretty substantial setlist too considering they played the bulk of the (very good) new album.

Let's Eat Grandma tonight.

Kid Kapichi - Impressive second album and they played a little set at the Vinyl Whistle in Leeds. Love their acoustic numbers but can't wait to hear the new stuff played loud when they return to Leeds in February.

Brooke Combe - A solid set, if a little brief, at Headrow House, Leeds . Didn't quite have the wow factor she showed at Glastonbury but loads of potential.

Bull - Can't believe the change in their musical style since I saw them play at Galtres Festival 8 years ago. Great night and a fantastic audience. Full credit to them for only charging a quid entry, definitely made it the best value gig of the year. Top night.

Next up Beth Orton next Sunday

I saw Ian Brown last night. Not as bad as I thought it would be but oh so weird. I struggled to get my head around the concept of no band. I assume in future he will be back to having a backing band. To be fair to him, I thought a lot of the crowd lapped it up but left me a little cold.

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

Kid Kapichi - Impressive second album and they played a little set at the Vinyl Whistle in Leeds. Love their acoustic numbers but can't wait to hear the new stuff played loud when they return to Leeds in February.

Brooke Combe - A solid set, if a little brief, at Headrow House, Leeds . Didn't quite have the wow factor she showed at Glastonbury but loads of potential.

Bull - Can't believe the change in their musical style since I saw them play at Galtres Festival 8 years ago. Great night and a fantastic audience. Full credit to them for only charging a quid entry, definitely made it the best value gig of the year. Top night.

Next up Beth Orton next Sunday

Be interested to hear how you get on with Beth. Really wanted her to be good at Beautiful Days but tbh it was really disappointing. Hopefully she'll be better on her own setup!

Not noticed this thread before but have been reading through it a lot lately. I haven’t been to many gigs recently (trying to save money!)

There are a couple acts who have stood out for me as either being particularly good or particularly bad, thought it’d be good to see other peoples opinions. I’ll keep it limited to the past year or so, otherwise the list will get too long:

GOOD

- BMTH - I saw them at Reading in 2015 and remember it being one of the best gigs I’d ever seen, saw them here and there since then, and caught them this year at Reading as well. Wasn’t expecting much as they’d been pretty average since 2015, but they absolutely blew me away.

- Yard Act - Absolutely stunning, like watching poetry. Saw them in Birmingham a month or so ago, the lead singer freestyled a whole verse for an extra 5 minutes to one of the songs, I was in awe.

- The 1975 - Proper show, amazing.

BAD

- Arctic Monkeys - saw them headline Reading, absolutely woeful.

- Fontaines D.C. - Saw them twice, really excited both times, but was just really disappointed.

- Sam Fender - Hate to say it because I’m a big fan but every time I’ve seen him it’s just felt boring and uninspired.

20 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Frank Turner last night - which I think now definitely makes him the act I've seen more than any other - and still loved it as much as ever. Felt very emotional in there - I and a few around me were in tears a couple times.

Looking forward to the next one already.

How was the sound? I saw a couple of Facebook posts saying it was woeful! I saw him last week in Leeds and there was some sound hiccups which resulted in a little FT tantrum... he was not a happy bunny! The setlist looks fantastic from last night! 👌 I'd be happy with that for Manchester on Tuesday 🙂

... think he's my most seen act too! 

Edited by Digi

On 10/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, Digi said:

How was the sound? I saw a couple of Facebook posts saying it was woeful! I saw him last week in Leeds and there was some sound hiccups which resulted in a little FT tantrum... he was not a happy bunny! The setlist looks fantastic from last night! 👌 I'd be happy with that for Manchester on Tuesday 🙂

Sounded fine from where I was up on the balcony! Hope you have a great time at the show tomorrow 🙂

Couple in recent days:

Goodbye Mr Mackenzie at Brudenell last Thursday.  Haven't seen them in about 30 years but they were excellent. Quite small crowd but great atmosphere as some very devoted fans there.

Public Service Broadcasting last night in Sheffield.  5th time seeing them and great as always. Enjoyed the support, Pale Blue Eyes too.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:24 AM, Digi said:

I'm heading to Manchester tomorrow too, and was similarly worried by some of the posts talking about poor sound, so thanks @WestCountryGirl for the reassurance, and hopefully see you there @Digi

On 10/1/2022 at 12:08 AM, Dales said:

The Lemonheads at the Roundhouse for me tonight. The gig basically had 3 sections. The first was Evan doing a small accoustic set. Followed with a band playing "Its a shame about Ray" in full and then a mixed set of "hits & bits" with a few guests playing guitar.

As usual the tracks were not perfect with plenty of adjusting/tuning guitars going on betweeen songs but that's a given if you go to see The Lemonheads. This was one of those nights where he did not seem to be high as a kite. There is a certain charm to Evans imperfect performances and awkward way when he is not completly out of it. His voice seems to have matured in to a rich deep country tone although there always was a  certain country element to his songs and style.

I loved his performance. It had everything accoustic, sad songs, guests, singalongs and as expected the end of the show was not built up to a high, it just ended. The band walked off and he picked up a guitar and played one last song and it was all over. No place for slick production and bells and whistles when you see Evan.

The duet of "Into Your Arms" with Courtney Love was a many splendid thing. There voices complemented each other wonderfully although the juxtaposition between the lively, confident Courtney bouncing all over the place and an awkward Evan standing at the side of the stage was odd. God, I love Evan.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Nestacres said:

I agree. It was superb. 

Haven’t been on here much but wanted to add my pennies worth.

Was at the Newcastle show the night after. Absolute car crash of a show - he’d clearly been on a session all day (he’s got roots up here). By the time he finished I reckon there was half the crowd left. The version of Mrs Robinson they played was the nadir and was uncomfortable to watch - the man clearly has a lot of issues still.

Having said that, he sort of pulled himself around for the last 4 or 5 songs, especially Different Drum, It’s About Time and finishing on Big Gay Heart. I’ve barely stopped listening to him since the show.

He’s such a fragile fella.

7 hours ago, Badlands said:

Haven’t been on here much but wanted to add my pennies worth.

Was at the Newcastle show the night after. Absolute car crash of a show - he’d clearly been on a session all day (he’s got roots up here). By the time he finished I reckon there was half the crowd left. The version of Mrs Robinson they played was the nadir and was uncomfortable to watch - the man clearly has a lot of issues still.

Having said that, he sort of pulled himself around for the last 4 or 5 songs, especially Different Drum, It’s About Time and finishing on Big Gay Heart. I’ve barely stopped listening to him since the show.

He’s such a fragile fella.

Sorry to hear that. I have seen him a number of times and does seem to be a toss of a coin as to what sort of state he will be in. The last time I saw him before the recent Roundhouse gig was a few years back at the O2 Forum Kentish Town and he was in a rightl state. Rolling around on stage during the  support act and stumbling all over the place. I had hoped he had pulled himself together a little since then.

Went to see Beabadoobee in Nottingham last night, was pretty enjoyable, songs translate well to a live environment, technically the performance was strong!

However she is seriously lacking in stage presence and charisma, I know not everyone can be a natural showman but it does make the show a hell of a lot more forgettable 

Well, Frank Turner absolutely smashed it in Manchester last night!

Sound was spot on, and such an amazing setlist - made up to hear him play Thatcher Fucked The Kids for the first time live, and the crowd were well into it.

Grace Petrie next on Thursday...2 school night gigs in a week is neither big nor clever 🙈🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Been a busy few days for gigs. 

Frank Turner at Liverpool Academy on Saturday, The Snuts at Liverpool Camp and Furnace Sunday and Counting Crows at Manchester Apollo on Tuesday.

Frank was my favourite of the three, cracking atmosphere, a few lesser heard tracks (Balthazar!) just a massive, fun singalong. 

The Snuts also a great atmosphere, new songs going down very well despite only being out for a week, not been to that venue before but really good.

Something like the 9th time I've seen Counting Crows since their first ever UK tour and they always deliver, I love Adam's vocals and the way he switches stuff about (though I get why it annoys people), you're never sure what songs you're going to get, they probably mix their setlist up more than any other act I've regularly seen. Awesome stuff.

20221008_211541.thumb.jpg.9deb8fa82d3d98a9ff66b4a0b1260309.jpg

20221009_220543.thumb.jpg.fa4f0495dc8ab859cc94dad534e21118.jpg

20221011_212703.thumb.jpg.66ef5c814b7c7f862a26944a0bb9a097.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, WestCountryGirl said:

Sounded fine from where I was up on the balcony! Hope you have a great time at the show tomorrow 🙂

On 10/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, theciderviking said:

I'm heading to Manchester tomorrow too, and was similarly worried by some of the posts talking about poor sound, so thanks @WestCountryGirl for the reassurance, and hopefully see you there @Digi

Tested positive yesterday afternoon. Took myself off to isolate in the spare bed and held a pity party for one whilst watching the setlist be updated on Setlist.fm. I'm still not over missing out on 'Thatcher Fucked the Kids'.... again!

Just managed to grab tickets for York in January 🙂

17 minutes ago, Digi said:

Tested positive yesterday afternoon. Took myself off to isolate in the spare bed and held a pity party for one whilst watching the setlist be updated on Setlist.fm. I'm still not over missing out on 'Thatcher Fucked the Kids'.... again!

Just managed to grab tickets for York in January 🙂

Oh no, sorry to hear that, and hope you're not feeling too rough! 😞

Here's a little teaser for you - my first time hearing it live, seemed so very fitting just now.