Football 2021/2022

jyoung

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

it only works if the player plays tothe level of  those words: a match like yesterday's is the perfect opportunity for the player to show himself as really that good.

I honestly think if clubs are deciding whether to buy Declan Rice a performance against a non league team is the last game I would use to make a judgement.

33 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I honestly think if clubs are deciding whether to buy Declan Rice a performance against a non league team is the last game I would use to make a judgement.

I think it's good for a bechmark, of how good he really is. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, Hugh Jass said:

When people ask me why I’ve lost my passion for football…

image.png.2af9614f7e0da7175cdc8a6f990f3f77.png

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't choice really. Either go for broke with something radical and get called idiots when it backfires, or just pick this boring lower PL/upper Championship choice.

Surprised Mark Hughes hasn't been seen back in management since getting turfed out of Southampton tbh. Though I think he might be likelier for a PL return than Tony Pulis given how much of a nightmare his stint at Sheffield Wednesday was last season.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, TheGayTent said:

Please please please don’t be the dream 3rd round TV game. I absolutely love the romance of the cup (just not when it’s us) winky smiley thing 

Tbf that's what I felt after Newcastle lost to Cambridge - if it had happened to somebody else it would've looked amazing, but it happened to us so it made me feel sulky for a few days. And this even after being used to 2 decades worth of Cup humiliations. I dread to think how memed Hereford would've been had it happened in the social media age.

West Ham did make that a lot harder for themselves than they needed to, mind.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

I think it's good for a bechmark, of how good he really is. 

I would have thought a better benchmark would be how he plays against premiership teams every week, considering it's likely it would be premiership teams interested in buying him. I'm certainly not buying this best midfielder in Europe (or even England) debate. If he joins a more successful club he will have to prove himself.

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would have thought a better benchmark would be how he plays against premiership teams every week, considering it's likely it would be premiership teams interested in buying him. I'm certainly not buying this best midfielder in Europe (or even England) debate. If he joins a more successful club he will have to prove himself.

Different measures for different levels for a player. Best in Europe is something proper special. 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Different measures for different levels for a player. Best in Europe is something proper special. 

I mean best in Europe players don't play well in every single game, neither do best in the world players. However from what I can see the "Rice is the best midfielder in Europe" movement doesn't seem to have many followers.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

from what I can see the "Rice is the best midfielder in Europe" movement doesn't seem to have many followers.

which is why i'm calling moyes out for it.

21 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Wilson out until the "last few weeks" apparently 😬

Newcastle going into a survival fight with only Wood and Gayle as strikers. 

be funny if they tank as the richest club in the world.

6 hours ago, Neil said:

be funny if they tank as the richest club in the world.

I mean we had to endure lots of schadenfreude at our relegations in 2009 and 2016 so it wouldn't be that alien an experience. If probably stronger given a lot of people aren't exactly fond of our new owners.

If nothing else I admire Bruno Guimaraes being ambitious enough in his arrival interview to say he wants to help Newcastle win the Champions League. But one ambition at a time. Especially if Wilson is still crocked and we're stuck with Dwight Gayle as the only back-up striker.

On 2/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, st dan said:

At least Rodgers surely will be nowhere near the list of next United managers now (speaking as a fan). Would have been a nightmare appointment that one. 

What the hell has even happened to Leicester anyway? Their defending this season was already pretty dreadful but all of Forest's goals yesterday were horribly defended, especially the second. I don't think Rodgers has helped himself declaring that some players have played their last Leicester game or that he's openly talking about needing a summer rebuild, but it's genuinely crazy how sharp the drop off has been.

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean we had to endure lots of schadenfreude at our relegations in 2009 and 2016 so it wouldn't be that alien an experience. If probably stronger given a lot of people aren't exactly fond of our new owners.

If nothing else I admire Bruno Guimaraes being ambitious enough in his arrival interview to say he wants to help Newcastle win the Champions League. But one ambition at a time. Especially if Wilson is still crocked and we're stuck with Dwight Gayle as the only back-up striker.

The shrewdest move Newcastle have made is bringing Dan Ashworth in. His first job in football was with us ten years ago and he completely transformed the club, overhauled the scouting network, managerial succession planning, focusing on looking for bargains (not really necessary for Toon). For a few years around 2010-15 West Brom were the "model club" and that was all down to Ashworth. All fell apart when him and Hodgson were both poached by the FA in quick succession - Ashworth then set the groundwork for the succession England are now enjoying.

If Newcastle stay up then Ashworth is the perfect man to take them forward.

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Everton right in it now.

Yep. Losing both first choice centre backs in consecutive games though unlikely is something that can always happen. The board now getting exactly what they deserve sticking with the previous manager for so long when it wasn't working.