Football 2021/2022

jyoung

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Another win for Eddie Howe and Newcastle United. Manager of the month for sure.

Leeds are in real trouble aren't they?

Brentford might save Leeds and Everton though.

Still all very close down there.

We fought well today, one mistake is the only difference between a loss and a 0-0. We have nothing going forward at all but good to see some competency and fight. 

I'm also thinking brentford are going to struggle here - so many games ahead and in terrible form

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

We fought well today, one mistake is the only difference between a loss and a 0-0. We have nothing going forward at all but good to see some competency and fight. 

I'm also thinking brentford are going to struggle here - so many games ahead and in terrible form

And the fact you were denied a stonewall penalty.

Lampard:  "I've spoken to the referees on the day and they know it's a penalty. It's on [VAR] Chris Kavanagh because the referee couldn't see it on the pitch...We've lost a point by a professional who can't do his job right....incompetence at best, at worst, who knows?"

Russians/Arabs/Americans. They should all be banned from putting their money into English football. Collectively they are ruining the sport. 

There’s a ridiculous amount of corruption behind the scenes. The refereeing has become a joke. 

It’s a hard thing for me to do but I’m boycotting my club while the Americans are calling the shots. 

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

And the fact you were denied a stonewall penalty.

Lampard:  "I've spoken to the referees on the day and they know it's a penalty. It's on [VAR] Chris Kavanagh because the referee couldn't see it on the pitch...We've lost a point by a professional who can't do his job right....incompetence at best, at worst, who knows?"

Until I saw that interview and watched the highlights when I got home I didn't realise how blatant it was. I was the far end of the stadium so didn't have a clear view. 

Wouldn't have trusted Richarlison to score it anyway 

Good to see Lampard confident about staying up though- saying he's seen enough to think we'll be ok

Just seen the Everton v Man City handball and I just don't get it, like it seems blatant match fixing by the officials there. On the flip side though since every hates on VAR. It was used correctly in the match between Brentford and Newcastle. Mike Dean originally gave a freekick against Ryan Fraser but VAR intervened and he reversed it to send off Da Silva. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

FIFA ordering Russia to play without their flag and national anthem in upcoming matches. In sure Sweden, Czech and Poland will say that's ok now!

Aye, saw that. Seeing as Poland, Sweden and the Czechs are all explicitly saying no to playing them at all, I'm not sure trying the IOC-style "Russia-not-Russia" is going to cut the mustard this time.

That might’ve been the best 0-0 I’ve ever been to… shame how it ended but thought we were really good for lots of it, poor finishing/forwards not knowing how to stay onside was the difference 

kepa in league cup finals is the strangest incarnation of a footballer ever. Few years ago he refused to come off for pens and then lost, and today he got subbed on and lost, whilst missing the deciding one. 

11 hours ago, rock the clock said:

That might’ve been the best 0-0 I’ve ever been to… shame how it ended but thought we were really good for lots of it, poor finishing/forwards not knowing how to stay onside was the difference 

kepa in league cup finals is the strangest incarnation of a footballer ever. Few years ago he refused to come off for pens and then lost, and today he got subbed on and lost, whilst missing the deciding one. 

I was discussing this last night (as was everyone else I'm sure) but didn't Chelsea win the one where he refused to come off? If you're a fan though you're probably right.

Chelsea deserved to win last night if I'm honest, but that's football. How Mount missed those 2 chances is beyond me. Never seen a 3-1 finish 0-0 before, gotta love VAR 😄 

Some incredible penalties last night. I genuinely enjoyed the antics of Kepa, especially standing to 1 side for VVD's penalty was the ultimate shithouse move.

45 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I was discussing this last night (as was everyone else I'm sure) but didn't Chelsea win the one where he refused to come off? If you're a fan though you're probably right.

Chelsea deserved to win last night if I'm honest, but that's football. How Mount missed those 2 chances is beyond me. Never seen a 3-1 finish 0-0 before, gotta love VAR 😄 

Some incredible penalties last night. I genuinely enjoyed the antics of Kepa, especially standing to 1 side for VVD's penalty was the ultimate shithouse move.

Yep. Lost to city on pens, he didn’t save one then either iirc. In fairness to tuchel he did the exact same thing in the super cup earlier in the season and it worked. Mendy has a worse penalty record so decision makes sense in theory, but thought it was especially harsh yesterday as Mendy had the game of his life.

And I think those antics are great if they work, but stupid if they don’t! Ultimately VVD smashed it right where kepa was and he still couldn’t save it.

Ahh well, I’m comforted by the fact that the games with liverpool this year have been so close. That’s 300 minutes and one penalty to separate the two teams. all been good games too