Efestivals Euro football thread

Ryan1984

im struggling a bit with the idea of an attractive, enjoyable Italy team. For all of my life theyve been the byword in dour, miserable, life-stultifyingly boring negative football and as such ive always revelled in their various failures, and been annoyed by their successes. Ugh, that 2006 team: absolute dog shit, yet they won . . . . 

anyways, my point is that ive had to change my mind on them and i dont like liking them!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Thought Wales looked great yesterday, be interesting to see how they fare against Italy though (and equally how Italy fare against a team that presumably won't roll over for them). 

I imagine we will make a few changes for the game on Sunday, as we already have a few players with a booking hanging over their head, and Page started the same XI two games on the bounce.

Hopefully we will go out there and treat the game as an almost free shot, and attack Italy. We look much better when we are on the front foot and I don't think anybody has really had a go at Italy's older defenders yet. Dan James masterclass pending.....

19 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

im struggling a bit with the idea of an attractive, enjoyable Italy team. For all of my life theyve been the byword in dour, miserable, life-stultifyingly boring negative football and as such ive always revelled in their various failures, and been annoyed by their successes. Ugh, that 2006 team: absolute dog shit, yet they won . . . . 

anyways, my point is that ive had to change my mind on them and i dont like liking them!

I loved the 2006 team, but that might be something to do with me having a tenner on them to win it!

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Thought Wales looked great yesterday, be interesting to see how they fare against Italy though (and equally how Italy fare against a team that presumably won't roll over for them). 

I was supposed to be flying out to Italy today for the game in Rome on Sunday, after last nights result I reckon I could have flown there without the plane.

8 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I loved the 2006 team, but that might be something to do with me having a tenner on them to win it!

ha! no fair! Grosso's diving vs australia really turned me against them. Then that quarter final vs Ukraine, which was absolutely dreadful, irredeemably awful, horribly unwatchable non-football. Then they stole it off my lovely germans in the semi final (fucking Grosso again) before more robbery vs an off-colour france in the final (where again Grosso scored the penalty to win it, just to piss me off). In order to register my protest i swore off pizza and pasta for three months. I'm not sure they noticed, but it made me feel better 🤣

Good article on the BBC going back 25 years to when England played Scotland in '96:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57334461

That is pure nostalgia for me, I was a 90s teenager and remember the summer of that year vividly - if not all that clearly. 🙄

Most memorably we had a German exchange trip visit during the tournament including the England - Germany game... Just a little awkward!

I had a whirlwind romance with one of the German girls and was heartbroken when they went home... 

Sorry for the thread diversion, back to 2021 football now 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Notsure, if there is then they haven’t been marketing it very well.

Maybe they should show a goal from last time they met in the Euros or something.

As long as it’s not that Gazza goal. I think everyone has seen it a million times. 

7 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Good article on the BBC going back 25 years to when England played Scotland in '96:

That is pure nostalgia for me, I was a 90s teenager and remember the summer of that year vividly - if not all that clearly. 🙄

Most memorably we had a German exchange trip visit during the tournament including the England - Germany game... Just a little awkward!

I had a whirlwind romance with one of the German girls and was heartbroken when they went home... 

ahhh...that's bitter sweet. I was mid 20s and it was all watching in pubs and a lot of booze and a lot of parties and a lot of drugs as far as I can remember. It really was a good time in my life around then. Shame Germany had to come along and ruin it the bloody bastards.

Just now, steviewevie said:

ahhh...that's bitter sweet. I was mid 20s and it was all watching in pubs and a lot of booze and a lot of parties and a lot of drugs as far as I can remember. It really was a good time in my life around then. Shame Germany had to come along and ruin it the bloody bastards.

also remember when Germany knocked England out and England fans rioted in London and attacked anyone driving a VW or BMW.

7 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Happy dayzzzzz

An hour to kick off, beers and nibbles flowing, crap footie anthems on, I feel almost alive and kicking for the first time in quite a while. Of course we all should be thinking packing lists this weekend if it wasn't for this fuckin virus. Enjoy the match pop pickers, great start to the weekend