Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

7 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's a fair point. Getting Gojira to play the Hell Stage in 2017 was a coup, and it was amazing, but the crowd was sparse. Venom Prison before them were ace, too. Maybe metalheads don't attend because there's very little metal on offer? I don't know.

From the ones I know, which admittedly is anecdotal and a small sample size, I feel like a fair few metalheads would only attend if it was majority metal bands on offer. Even having one guaranteed Pyramid Headliner, plus one on the Other Stage and then say another dozen "name value" acts spread across the rest of the site over the weekend wouldn't be nearly enough to raise any interest.

I mean hell, I've heard accusations that Download has gone "too indie".

1 hour ago, incident said:

From the ones I know, which admittedly is anecdotal and a small sample size, I feel like a fair few metalheads would only attend if it was majority metal bands on offer. Even having one guaranteed Pyramid Headliner, plus one on the Other Stage and then say another dozen "name value" acts spread across the rest of the site over the weekend wouldn't be nearly enough to raise any interest.

I mean hell, I've heard accusations that Download has gone "too indie".

You don't have to be a metalhead to enjoy metal though that's the point, a lot of my friends and people I know enjoy a fair few metal bands but wouldn't be classed a 'metalheads'. 

Most people I know who are into music enough to go to festivals and gigs are into a wide range of music and don't just identify with one subgenre. 

Id probably say that a fair few people who attend Glastonbury fit into this category.

Having a few heavier acts over the weekend as left field bookings on some of the smaller stages would probably go down better than some think.

Edited by Xeph1995

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

You’re assuming a lot here. Such as the music I’m familiar with and what I grew up listening to. I listened to a lot of rock and metal growing up, and I’m very familiar with pretty much all of the big players and their back catalogues.

And what I’ve gradually felt is that over time metal has dropped off the public conscious substantially and now become a huge niche. People are aware of the classics, but there’s virtually no knowledge of new emerging acts. I find it quite remarkable really, and it really signals the slow death of a genre if it’s no longer hitting highs and winning over new fans. It feels like metal is now just for who has always listened to it and there’s no “roping in” of new fans because there’s no new and exciting acts doing innovative things to garner peoples attention.

Saying there are virtually no new emerging acts and calling Ghost and Babymetal the only two bands that have "made an impact" (they had close to zero impact within the metal scene) does kinda show you're not really familiar with the current metal scene.

I agree, only very, very few metal bands make it to headliner-status (even within the scene), but that's the nature of metal: it usually takes a long time for a band to climb the ladder, but when they reach the top, they're there to stay (as opposed to pop and hip hop, where three good singles could get you a decent spot on a festival and they forget about you in about two years).

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not that it has much of an influence on the Glastonbury lineup, but when is the Coachella announcement? I assume within the next month or so, right? Be interesting to see if there are any other acts around next year that have yet to announce tour schedules 

Early jan 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Its hard to tell, they could maybe play the Sunday but it's a bit of a trek from Turkey.

2 hours ago, clasher said:

@stanhpretty much ruled out, yeah. Planning Dublin to Prague to Istanbul to Glasto makes no sense.

Yeah, thought so, that's a shame - would love to see them! Would be a class booking.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:26 PM, jonday81 said:

Surely in with a shout for the Legend slot.

Glasto could have booked the Jackson every year for the last ten. They tour all the time,. Mostly play small fests 

11 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Not that it has much of an influence on the Glastonbury lineup, but when is the Coachella announcement? I assume within the next month or so, right? Be interesting to see if there are any other acts around next year that have yet to announce tour schedules 

Jan 3rd. And plenty dont have dates out yet. Only a handful have suspect dates with gaps for now. But in the end theres gonna be plenty you would say doesnt fit at glasto or wont know who they are  etc.

I think while "dead" is obviously hyperbolic, the point around rock at large (including metal) being out of vogue right now is quite true. Been saying this about other festivals when people lament the lack of guitar bands, when was the last time one had a remotely fresh rock headliner? For Leeds and Glasto you have to go all the way back to Mumford & Sons and even then it's folk. Rock right now is headliners who have been touring forever and then a bunch of great small acts who are on their way up but still a while away from being at the top of the bill. 

Like, look at Download. FINALLY have BMTH headlining, the biggest UK metal band since Iron Maiden, it only took them ~8 years since the peak of their popularity and they've been going 18 years. The 1975 have been going even longer and even then they're often contentious as a "pop rock" band. Hellfest is a solid undercard with absolute dinosaurs heading it up, even Slipknot have been going 27 years now.

Think it'll be very interesting to see rock's resurgence in X years, if it comes back around at all, and who exactly will be at the forefront of newer big rock headliners. Fontaines for me seem like an obvious place to start, but who else? Will the next big thing come out of nowhere or do we already know who they are? 

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Like, look at Download. FINALLY have BMTH headlining, the biggest UK metal band since Iron Maiden, it only took them ~8 years since the peak of their popularity and they've been going 18 years. The 1975 have been going even longer and even then they're often contentious as a "pop rock" band. Hellfest is a solid undercard with absolute dinosaurs heading it up, even Slipknot have been going 27 years now.

Download really should give bands the nudge up to headline spot sooner imo. Korn, Ghost, BFMV, among others should have got the call in previous years. 

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The fact that some people regard Fontaines DC as potential saviours of rock music helps to explain why it's in such a dire predicament.

It's not that I think Fontaines are "the best" smaller rock band right now, it's that I think they're the rock band that are most likely to be on track to headliner status at festivals. Personally I think King Gizzard are the most exciting rock band on the planet but they're always going to be too weird and niche and experimental to headline big festivals. Same for a lot of interesting small bands like black midi.

26 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Download really should give bands the nudge up to headline spot sooner imo. Korn, Ghost, BFMV, among others should have got the call in previous years. 

Yeah, it's always had that problem but at least they're finally waking up to the fact that they're not going to have any headliners left if they don't start bumping people up. Many people shocked to see Ghost headlining 2nd stage next year but all that does is pave the way for a headline slot in, say, 2025.

Edited by BenG92

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Jan 3rd. And plenty dont have dates out yet. Only a handful have suspect dates with gaps for now. But in the end theres gonna be plenty you would say doesnt fit at glasto or wont know who they are  etc.

That soon? Nice.

Yeah, there's bound to be the usual unknowns and misfits, that's natural. Maybe we should introduce a festival exchange programme to bridge the cultural divide? Glastonbury will take Bad Bunny and Illennium and Coachella have Mik Artistik and Beans On Toast

29 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah, it's always had that problem but at least they're finally waking up to the fact that they're not going to have any headliners left if they don't start bumping people up. Many people shocked to see Ghost headlining 2nd stage next year but all that does is pave the way for a headline slot in, say, 2025.

Indeed. Though I think it's just as plausible that Download finally give the likes of Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam their shot before they bump up first-time headliners! We'll see.

19 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Assuming this stat is correct, which is isn't, what's wrong with a gig being mostly male?

Agreed 90% is a stretch unless it’s like a prog metal show as they are very noticeably extremely male heavy. At a typical metal show I have noticed in the recent years it becoming more of a split 

Also I don’t see it as a problem 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Audience. Glasto HQ have been very anti metal since the 90s apart from the odd band here and there after a few crowd crushes and deaths elsewhere. Most metal gigs are 90% male. 

T'would be a sausage factory.

When was the last time there was a crush at the metal gig? And when was the last time you've been to a metal gig? 

43 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

When was the last time there was a crush at the metal gig? And when was the last time you've been to a metal gig? 

This year and this year. 

"crush" or "mosh" or whatever you want to call it, Eavis doesn't want it at the festival. Not saying he's right but it's his call. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFt5XFWB/

At Rock Am Ring there were various crushes and little scraps and stuff.  It happens.