LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

So did i!

Someone more in the know might need to put each year and what the concept/construction was as I can't really recall!

I do remember dancing on the thing in 2010 when it was in the S.E corner during KissySellout and having a really good time! 😄 

2010 was actually The Afterburner on the current spiders legs in the SE corner. After this concept year, the spider was born and the two stages became separate things.

The Afterburner then went on to Bestival (RIP), Burning Man etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

2010 was actually The Afterburner on the current spiders legs in the SE corner. After this concept year, the spider was born and the two stages became separate things.

The Afterburner then went on to Bestival (RIP), Burning Man etc. 

Just to confuse things further eh!

I went to Bestival in 2012 and they had the afterburner there from recollection that year.

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Just to confuse things further eh!

I went to Bestival in 2012 and they had the afterburner there from recollection that year.

Was that the year it was randomly plonked in the middle of the campsite from memory! 

The problem with Pangea (and indeed the spider for that matter) is that apart from the actual show bit, if you don't like the music they're playing, it gets pretty boring pretty quickly.

Oooo!

Ahhhh!

Look at the flames!

Ahhh!

Oooooo!

Look at the flames!

Erm.....

Oo ah?

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The problem with Pangea (and indeed the spider for that matter) is that apart from the actual show bit, if you don't like the music they're playing, it gets pretty boring pretty quickly.

Oooo!

Ahhhh!

Look at the flames!

Ahhh!

Oooooo!

Look at the flames!

Erm.....

Oo ah?

Why would you go there if you don't like the music they are playing though? 

Same applies to any stage! 

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked the festival in 2019 so didn't sadly get many big nights as I worked two of the main ones (Friday and Sunday) but I just watched this to remind myself at how terrible Pangea was.

Sorry, I love the festival, I loved Arcadia and all the associated stuff that went with it...some of my best Glastonbury memories are dancing on the Spider in 2010 but this is dreadful, doesn't work as a concept for me and I think they will be happy to get rid of it and bring the Spider back...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it felt a little bit like "ooooh, someone's got a crane going cheap, that could be a laugh" and they seemingly bought it without any real idea on what to do with it or with consideration for any of the other issues that could be involved. It doesn't match the typical innovative ethos that you associate with Arcadia and although I don't have a tiny fraction of the creativity they have, I'm really struggling to see how it can be developed beyond its current guise. The moon aspect was a nice idea but anyone with experience of the festival will tell you how high the winds can get through that valley, then you've got the obvious massive health and safety risks of a wrecking ball swinging around the heads of 10,000 punters, not to mention the need for planning permission with a notoriously belligerent local committee. My take is, let's just chalk this one off to experience and revert back to the Spider until there's an idea more befitting of their previous wonderful creations. Not every idea works, and that's ok. 

Now watch them prove me completely wrong come June and knock it out of the park...I'd love to see it.

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Oooo!

Ahhhh!

Look at the flames!

Ahhh!

Oooooo!

Look at the flames!

Erm.....

Oo ah?

We always camp in the part of the site that's adjacent to Arcadia and the Park so see and hear a lot of it even when at camp and find myself later in the weekend not even noticing the flames etc etc as they go off so often.

Best memory of 2017 was Noisia on the Saturday night which for some reason wasn't that busy at all.....meant lots of room for dancing which was great! 🙂 

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Oooo!

Ahhhh!

Look at the flames!

Ahhh!

Oooooo!

Look at the flames!

Erm.....

Oo ah?

Yeh this. Imagine how great a metal band would be on that stage. Drummer in the middle, guitarists and singer walking the platforms 

Most Dj sets I've seen there have been boring but the stage is just so impressive 

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it felt a little bit like "ooooh, someone's got a crane going cheap, that could be a laugh" and they seemingly bought it without any real idea on what to do with it or with consideration for any of the other issues that could be involved. It doesn't match the typical innovative ethos that you associate with Arcadia and although I don't have a tiny fraction of the creativity they have, I'm really struggling to see how it can be developed beyond its current guise. The moon aspect was a nice idea but anyone with experience of the festival will tell you how high the winds can get through that valley, then you've got the obvious massive health and safety risks of a wrecking ball swinging around the heads of 10,000 punters, not to mention the need for planning permission with a notoriously belligerent local committee. My take is, let's just chalk this one off to experience and revert back to the Spider until there's an idea more befitting of their previous wonderful creations. Not every idea works, and that's ok. 

Now watch them prove me completely wrong come June and knock it out of the park...I'd love to see it.

Agree with most of that, they've had 2 1/2 years to think about it and reflect on the feedback from 2019, the current issues with the local council, and where it might go in the future. 

Like you say, not every concept is a winner, but its good to try something new. On a seperate note I also don't think 'Glastonbury-on-sea' really worked either but I think they may be persisting with that one.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Why would you go there if you don't like the music they are playing though? 

Same applies to any stage! 

I camp nearby and walk past it on the way back to my tent. 

The same doesn't really apply to any stage though, does it? There's no massie structure firing flames into the sky in the Caberet Tent. It's something a big chunk of the festival budget is spent on so you sort of feel you should have a look. So I stop off, spend 5 minutes thinking it looks spectacular, then nothing new happens so I wander off.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I still go but its miles away from what I used to go to when it first started, in fact in 2019 I was stood there thinking 'I'm I even at the same event?'  There was 18,000 there that year I think the first year I went it was 500!

I know a fair few people who were involved with it in the early years....we probably know a few of the same people. 🙂 

We'll absolutely know the same people. I used to put on nights/play at nights at the Zodiac/Bully/Cellar etc. too

3 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yeh this. Imagine how great a metal band would be on that stage. Drummer in the middle, guitarists and singer walking the platforms 

Most Dj sets I've seen there have been boring but the stage is just so impressive 

This is the advantage Afterburner had, they could stick a band on. I had a great time there watching Gentleman's Dub Club in 2011.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

On a seperate note I also don't think 'Glastonbury-on-sea' really worked either but I think they may be persisting with that one.

agreed... bit of a "o ok it's that" and we move on.

book it, The Spider is going to be climbing the crane this year in some sort of super structure 👍

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

On a seperate note I also don't think 'Glastonbury-on-sea' really worked either but I think they may be persisting with that one.

I agree with this. I didn't really get the idea from the start tbh, and then added on to how late they were finishing the thing it just all seemed a bit weird.

Edited by waltere

27 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Agree with most of that, they've had 2 1/2 years to think about it and reflect on the feedback from 2019, the current issues with the local council, and where it might go in the future. 

Like you say, not every concept is a winner, but its good to try something new. On a seperate note I also don't think 'Glastonbury-on-sea' really worked either but I think they may be persisting with that one.

If anything, I thought Glastonbury-on-Sea was poorer, I went when it eventually opened and spent about 15 minutes there. 

I enjoyed Pangea and spent an hour there, but didn’t have the menace of the spider, more remote, and not as engaging.

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If anything, I thought Glastonbury-on-Sea was poorer, I went when it eventually opened and spent about 15 minutes there. 

I enjoyed Pangea and spent an hour there, but didn’t have the menace of the spider, more remote, and not as engaging.

I haven't been before but other than them both being new i think theres little reason to compare them. One is the largest late night stage with big DJ bookings and a 500k+ budget - the other is a small sideshow attraction ? The spider definitely set a high bar to surpass

15 minutes ago, waltere said:

I agree with this. I didn't really get the idea from the start tbh, and then added on to how late they were finishing the thing it just all seemed a bit weird.

I liked the idea but I felt the location was wonky.  I'm no engineer, but I would have loved to have seen it up on the hill even higher somewhere.  

Regarding Pangea, anyone who went to Bestival back in the day may remember the Port:

They used a crane to dangle performers over the crowd who were strapped to various rigs. One year I remember they had a guy in a rowing boat who kept pretending he was about to fall out. There isn’t an issue with doing it as such (it’s going on above your head in most major cities) But I think the issue with Pangea is that the moon is light (relatively speaking) but with a big surface area, so liable to catch in the wind and cause problems. Weirdly they’d be ‘safer’ with something heavier (dependant on what the crane can safely hold) or like Bestival, have performers hanging from it instead, or something similar.

The moon is probably a non starter though, simply because of its design, but not because it’s hanging over the crowd.

I think it’s very possible it could’ve developed into something though, just like Arcadia did. Arcadia is great, but it’s not changing from here on out, and personally I’m bored of it now anyway, however impressive it might be, so I respect them for trying something new. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Regarding Pangea, anyone who went to Bestival back in the day may remember the Port:

They used a crane to dangle performers over the crowd who were strapped to various rigs. One year I remember they had a guy in a rowing boat who kept pretending he was about to fall out. There isn’t an issue with doing it as such (it’s going on above your head in most major cities) But I think the issue with Pangea is that the moon is light (relatively speaking) but with a big surface area, so liable to catch in the wind and cause problems. Weirdly they’d be ‘safer’ with something heavier (dependant on what the crane can safely hold) or like Bestival, have performers hanging from it instead, or something similar.

The moon is probably a non starter though, simply because of its design, but not because it’s hanging over the crowd.

I think it’s very possible it could’ve developed into something though, just like Arcadia did. Arcadia is great, but it’s not changing from here on out, and personally I’m bored of it now anyway, however impressive it might be, so I respect them for trying something new. 

I used to love The Port! Getting rid of that was part of Bestival’s downfall, in my opinion. 

All of Arcadia’s stages so far have really hit the mark and feel super immersive, apart from Pangea. 

I’d love for Arcadia to bring The Reactor to Glasto as well as The Spider… that was proper decent. Apart from the sewage smell in the tent! 😂

3 hours ago, waltere said:

Glastonbury-on-Sea didn’t offer us much. It felt like it was for kids to be fair…and was a pretty sideshow-style amusement on the one visit I made, but could’ve done without the wake up call from Punch shouting about his sausages.