2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, mufcok said:

You would be very surprised.

It's arguably the biggest sporting attraction in the world, the publicity it gets is second to none. Yes, Glastonbury don't exactly need exposure but using the Superbowl as an additional springboard to hype an act/get more eyes on it - I'd still be utilising it if I was in their shoes.

Using the superbowl likely helps them get other american acts too in the future etc

50 minutes ago, Col!n said:

It won't be Glasto's decision to delay until then, would be Kendrick's team. He is famously elusive around album releases and this one's particularly highly anticipated after 5 years of waiting. If his album rollout is planned to begin following the Super Bowl performance - which seems to be the case for the other artists performing - then he'll likely be saving any show announcements until after it to keep the suspense. Which adds up with Emily saying we'll have news by the end of the month.

(anyone got any more straws?)

Does a summer world tour not seem quite short notice to announce in mid/ late Feb? Or is the thinking that he may do Glasto and then a tour at the end of the year?

47 minutes ago, mufcok said:

You would be very surprised.

It's arguably the biggest sporting attraction in the world, the publicity it gets is second to none. Yes, Glastonbury don't exactly need exposure but using the Superbowl as an additional springboard to hype an act/get more eyes on it - I'd still be utilising it if I was in their shoes.

Just had a quick Google and apparently 6mil watched the Superbowl in the UK last year which is a lot higher than I was expecting. I try to watch it most years but am asleep before half time!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, curse these metal hands said:

Just had a quick Google and apparently 6mil watched the Superbowl in the UK last year which is a lot higher than I was expecting. I try to watch it most years but am asleep before half time!

I hear ya, next day highlights for me

42 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I hear ya, next day highlights for me

Don't get why they don't just bring it a couple hours earlier when they're trying to grow the sport internationally. 4pm EST surely would work all US timezones and allows most in Western Europe to watch it until the finish without it ending at silly o clock?

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Don't get why they don't just bring it a couple hours earlier when they're trying to grow the sport internationally. 4pm EST surely would work all US timezones and allows most in Western Europe to watch it until the finish without it ending at silly o clock?

In fairness we complain when they fuck about with kick off times for big football matches (eg FA Cup finals). Difference is that all of America watches the SB so there’s less need to sell it abroad.

56 minutes ago, curse these metal hands said:

Does a summer world tour not seem quite short notice to announce in mid/ late Feb? Or is the thinking that he may do Glasto and then a tour at the end of the year?

That's very true, it would be pretty late to announce a full world tour and it doesn't look too promising that there aren't many other festivals left which he could be playing if this was the case. But as someone suggested on another thread, it could simply be the case that Glasto have managed to hold onto the 2020 booking regardless of any world tour, whereas other festivals have dropped him due to uncertainty from Kendrick's end or because they wanted to get their line up (and tickets) out earlier than they would be allowed to announce - which obviously isn't an issue for Glastonbury as it's sold out.

This might just be wishful thinking, but most rumours have pointed to him so far so I don't think we can write him off yet 🤞

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

But then it would kick off at lunchtime on the West Coast which leaves very little time for pre-game grillin' 

14 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

But then it would kick off at lunchtime on the West Coast which leaves very little time for pre-game grillin' 

I heard they were going to move it to the Saturday so at least the Europeans would stay up later. Turns out they didn’t want to lose the aliteration of “Superbowl Sunday”

1 minute ago, vardyvarvar said:

I heard they were going to move it to the Saturday so at least the Europeans would stay up later. Turns out they didn’t want to lose the aliteration of “Superbowl Sunday”

Is this a joke that is too clever for my tiny brain?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mufcok said:

It's not even the fact that he'd be headlining that would upset me, it's losing McCartney.

There's been countless headliners who I have no interest in since I started going 11 years ago. Never bothers me because it's Glastonbury and there's always something on offer elsewhere that is good. If the lad's selling out stadiums, then I guess... why shouldn't he be a headliner?

Losing McCartney, though, would be SUCH a kick in the balls. The whole moment of him headlining the Pyramid, even more so after three years off, would be like nothing before for me. To have that ripped away would be devastating. 

A lot of the covid period was me spent wishing I was at Glasto watching Macca. Fuckin sucks tbh

5 hours ago, mufcok said:

It's not even the fact that he'd be headlining that would upset me, it's losing McCartney.

There's been countless headliners who I have no interest in since I started going 11 years ago. Never bothers me because it's Glastonbury and there's always something on offer elsewhere that is good. If the lad's selling out stadiums, then I guess... why shouldn't he be a headliner?

Losing McCartney, though, would be SUCH a kick in the balls. The whole moment of him headlining the Pyramid, even more so after three years off, would be like nothing before for me. To have that ripped away would be devastating. 

Yep. If Macca doesn’t play I’ll be gutted. None of the other touted headliners are thus far my cuppa and thats fine.
My knowing I ‘almost’ saw him headline and didn’t would be shit. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Yep. If Macca doesn’t play I’ll be gutted. None of the other touted headliners are thus far my cuppa and thats fine.
My knowing I ‘almost’ saw him headline and didn’t would be shit. 

If Macca doesn't play, I'll be trying my ass off on the resale still, but if I don't get one, I'll be very sanguine about it. If George Ezra headlines instead, I'll be overjoyed I didn't get one. 😉

• Like 1