2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Yeah the video of Stockholm Syndrome from Glasto 04 is a regular YouTube watch.

2010 looked boring on TV and 2016 utter dogshit.

Let’s hope 2022 is a return to form.

Mad to think the first time I saw Muse was 1999. When they supported this other bunch of unknowns called Coldplay.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mad to think the first time I saw Muse was 1999. When they supported this other bunch of unknowns called Coldplay.

2009 for me, unfortunately. My first gig aside from seeing Elton John with my parents when I was like 7.

Thankfully seen a couple of special ones (OoS in full at Leeds Fest and the intimate tour they did before Drones), but most of them have been half filled with The Resistance/The 2nd Law/Drones material.

Back when I was an obsessed teenager my mum worked with some bloke who’d seen them at Donny Dome on the Showbiz tour and I remember being so jealous of him.

12 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I saw Interpol at Leeds Academy the night before Glasto and loved it. So much so that I considered seeing them again at Glasto until the post-gig buzz wore off and I realised there’s no way I’m missing Stormzy.

Mate went to see Interpol and always tells me it was awful, and he loves them.

Only time I’d seen them previously was Leeds 2011* and they were awful then, so I wondered if they’re just not very consistent live. But I think I remember reading that they weren’t in a great place as a band back then and their shows sucked as a consequence. 

*Before the greatest Leeds headline set ever - Origin of Symmetry in full.

Tell your mate he has an ally. Generally they're consistently good live which is why the JP was a shock and I reckon you were unlucky at Leeds. If you want a great Interpol set, watch the Other Stage sunset slot at Glasto a few years back. When you see a twat in a red shirt and black tie on someone's shoulders during PDA, that's me. 

Ah 2011, one of the last year's where you'd look at a Leeds line up and think: "Shit me, that's good".

FWIW - those later Muse sets you mentioned were better on the ground than on TV...

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

New Bands tent?! I'd actually met some lads in UCL Union with my mate who was on the same course as him. They asked if I was going to Glasto and would I go and see them. Me and mate went. He asked me what I thought.

"They're alright like, but they'll never make it".

Coldplay. 

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Tell your mate he has an ally. Generally they're consistently good live which is why the JP was a shock and I reckon you were unlucky at Leeds. If you want a great Interpol set, watch the Other Stage sunset slot at Glasto a few years back. When you see a twat in a red shirt and black tie on someone's shoulders during PDA, that's me. 

Ah 2011, one of the last year's where you'd look at a Leeds line up and think: "Shit me, that's good".

FWIW - those later Muse sets you mentioned were better on the ground than on TV...

Yeah fair enough I saw them a couple of times on the stadium tour not long after Glasto 2010 and had a great time so it probably was fine in real life.

I was there in 2016 and hated it. Enjoyed the start but I came up terribly at some point and had to leave the front pit and go stand at the back with my mate thinking I was dying. After a strong start there was a run of songs like Madness and Starlight and it lost my attention there, really. Not to mention The Globalist.

6 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Yeah fair enough I saw them a couple of times on the stadium tour not long after Glasto 2010 and had a great time so it probably was fine in real life.

I was there in 2016 and hated it. Enjoyed the start but I came up terribly at some point and had to leave the front pit and go stand at the back with my mate thinking I was dying. After a strong start there was a run of songs like Madness and Starlight and it lost my attention there, really. Not to mention The Globalist.

I guess if you're a mega fan it's easy to be disappointed especially when those first few albums are sooooo good, but as a casual I can still enjoy the thing more as a stage show, where the new tunes still work...

17 minutes ago, Superscally said:

New Bands tent?! I'd actually met some lads in UCL Union with my mate who was on the same course as them. They asked if I was going to Glasto and would I go and see them. Me and mate went. He asked me what I thought.

"They're alright like, but they'll never make it".

Coldplay. 

Wolverhampton, and my memory is playing tricks… it was Coldplay who supported Muse.

It was around the time Showbiz came out.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I guess if you're a mega fan it's easy to be disappointed especially when those first few albums are sooooo good, but as a casual I can still enjoy the thing more as a stage show, where the new tunes still work...

Needed to bring the drones that they had flying about at the arena tour!

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The bigger they got the worse they got. It was all going brilliantly until Matt thought “I know, let’s be Queen, but in space!”

That said I actually thought Simulation Theory was a marked improvement on previous albums.

When I first listened to it in the uni library I had to go and sit on the toilet to finish it because I kept bursting out laughing at PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPAGANDA.

48 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

When I first listened to it in the uni library I had to go and sit on the toilet to finish it because I kept bursting out laughing at PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPA PROPAGANDA.

I genuinelly cannot listen to Break it to me on it, it pains my ears the sounds in the chorus. Appalling album from them

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Did you see them at APE with the strokes? the sound was awful but i enjoyed them there, will definitely have to watch their other stage set at some point

2 hours ago, gfa said:

I genuinelly cannot listen to Break it to me on it, it pains my ears the sounds in the chorus. Appalling album from them

Did you see them at APE with the strokes? the sound was awful but i enjoyed them there, will definitely have to watch their other stage set at some point

Was gutted to miss that...

Also perhaps we have to think about Foo Fighters too. Michael letting it slip that they were in line to do equinox, maybe they are a band on call for the Sunday?

Personally I think their dates don’t make things that straightforward for them but it sounds like Dave is raring to come back and play.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Also perhaps we have to think about Foo Fighters too. Michael letting it slip that they were in line to do equinox, maybe they are a band on call for the Sunday?

Personally I think their dates don’t make things that straightforward for them but it sounds like Dave is raring to come back and play.

What about the chilis? Cant rule them out

15 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

So where the who though. Can't rule 'em out

The Who was an arena show (one of two at the same venue that hadn't doldrums out if I remember correctly), RCHP shows on the Saturday and Sunday are stadium shows, of course they're ruled out.

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t actually think an unannounced set somewhere on the Sunday is out of the question at all…