Pint for a Pint - Glasto 2021

squirrelarmy

On 12/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, incident said:

To be honest I wouldn't rely on them contacting you, and would instead suggest checking the site every so often and seeing if it lets you book a session - I had an email a couple days ago essentially saying something along the lines of sessions at mobile locations (church halls, sports centres, etc) are busier than usual but at their permanent city centre sites they're short of donors (due to less people going into those areas) so can we donate there if able to do so.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this is a good shout. I quite often donate at the permanent centre in central London and can usually get spaces quite last minute.

Well after letting this post inspire me to try a bit harder to get giving, I found that the online blood donor account I had setup some time ago wasn't activated and wouldn't let me re-activate it with the same email address, so had to set up a new one. That was done in a jiffy. A few minutes later I had booked myself in the very next day to give blood at the NHS centre in Westfield, Stratford 🙂

Arrived there the next day, signed in, did the iron test, and within five minutes I was on the chair with a needle in my arm. 20 minutes later all finished! My first blood donation in 25 years and a very tasty Kit-Kat with orange juice to follow!
How quick did that all happen?!

Anyway, I booked in again for my next appointment in March, and also booked in to be checked for suitability for platelet donation since I have an in-demand blood group for that.

Whats also impressive is the text messages I received after, telling me which hospital my blood was going to - it arrived Harefield hospital today apparently.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Well after letting this post inspire me to try a bit harder to get giving, I found that the online blood donor account I had setup some time ago wasn't activated and wouldn't let me re-activate it with the same email address, so had to set up a new one. That was done in a jiffy. A few minutes later I had booked myself in the very next day to give blood at the NHS centre in Westfield, Stratford 🙂

Arrived there the next day, signed in, did the iron test, and within five minutes I was on the chair with a needle in my arm. 20 minutes later all finished! My first blood donation in 25 years and a very tasty Kit-Kat with orange juice to follow!
How quick did that all happen?!

Anyway, I booked in again for my next appointment in March, and also booked in to be checked for suitability for platelet donation since I have an in-demand blood group for that.

Whats also impressive is the text messages I received after, telling me which hospital my blood was going to - it arrived Harefield hospital today apparently.

Excellent stuff! Out of upvotes but this is great to see. 

The hospital texts thing is quite new but I really like it.

Donated again last week as I want to do so again before a tattoo. 3 week wait to get appointment, must be a popular social outing 😉 Always surprised by the number of things that disqualify people from being able to donate. Guess that's why it's so important elegible donors return and always need new donors. 3 bourbon biscuits for me.

Edited by lemons
  • Upvote 2

Had a letter from them the other day to tell me that the location of my booked donation has had to move. Very apologetic, hope you can still make it, understand if you can't etc.

Reckon I should be OK, it's changed from a 20 minute drive to a 5 minute walk; new donation centre is my village community hall 😄

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Had a letter from them the other day to tell me that the location of my booked donation has had to move. Very apologetic, hope you can still make it, understand if you can't etc.

Reckon I should be OK, it's changed from a 20 minute drive to a 5 minute walk; new donation centre is my village community hall 😄

They actually changed my donation venue without telling me last time. I got no email, text or anything and only found out when I turned up at a completely deserted community centre. Thought I was losing it! Quite unlike them actually, but these things happen. I think there have been a few last-minute changes for various covid-related reasons.

Managed to get an appointment a week later at the permanent centre so all good (although had to get public transport to get there, rather than walk).

On 12/16/2020 at 10:02 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

They actually changed my donation venue without telling me last time. I got no email, text or anything and only found out when I turned up at a completely deserted community centre. Thought I was losing it! Quite unlike them actually, but these things happen. I think there have been a few last-minute changes for various covid-related reasons.

Managed to get an appointment a week later at the permanent centre so all good (although had to get public transport to get there, rather than walk).

Yes my partner has had her donation centre changed because they’re using the old one for vaccinations 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, Kalopsia said:

Just joined the register for Anthony Nolan Stem Cell Donations, has anyone hear ever been called upon to donate? If so what's the process like? 

I have. I had only been on the register for a couple of years at most. I got a letter asking if I would be willing as I was a match and I jumped at the chance. Didn't hurt at all as they used the stem cell method, which is basically like giving blood but for about 4 hours, and you have to have injections leading up to it to boost the amount of stem cells you have. This means that when they remove the stem cells from your blood you aren't left short for yourself.

The hospital where it took place was the London clinic in Harley street. They treat you like a king, put you up just down the road for a night or two (can't remember if it was one or two now) and pay your wages for the following week so you can take the time off to recover.

I was asked to do it again about 9 months later as the guy hadn't responded as well as they'd hoped, and I never received any communication from him (which he could have done after a few years) which makes me think he didn't make it unfortunately, although I could be wrong.

Overall though, a very positive experience which I would definitely do again if asked.

Feel free to pm if you want to ask anything about the process.

Edited by km9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I lost my dad to leukemia in November, 4 short months after diagnosis. A series of unfortunate events such as covid delays etc meant stem cell wasn't an option.

Blood transfusions were basically keeping him alive as well as active. In his final few weeks me and him went to a premier league match of the club we have season tickets for, the only two fans in the stadium given a slap up meal and free range of the directors box. He was able to walk my sister down the aisle at her wedding, give his speech and was first up and dancing. All due to people giving blood, I wish whoever gave him that blood were able to see him and the amazing memories they have left us. An unbelievable gift.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, august1 said:

I lost my dad to leukemia in November, 4 short months after diagnosis. A series of unfortunate events such as covid delays etc meant stem cell wasn't an option.

Blood transfusions were basically keeping him alive as well as active. In his final few weeks me and him went to a premier league match of the club we have season tickets for, the only two fans in the stadium given a slap up meal and free range of the directors box. He was able to walk my sister down the aisle at her wedding, give his speech and was first up and dancing. All due to people giving blood, I wish whoever gave him that blood were able to see him and the amazing memories they have left us. An unbelievable gift.

I'm sorry for your loss mate. It was a similar story which led to me signing up, my grandad spent his last few years having transfusions.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, august1 said:

So sorry for your loss, but it is great to hear blood donations made a difference.

My best mate died of cancer in 2018 and she was very reliant on blood donations in the late stages. It really does make a difference and definitely made me feel good about having done it for so long.

Even if the blood doesn't help someone directly, it still gets used for research and other things so it's always worthwhile.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:28 PM, august1 said:

Sorry to hear that pal, condolences.

It took a friend of mine being diagnosed (and sadly later dying) from bowel cancer to finally trigger me into finally pulling my finger out and signing up to donate. And I can honestly say (and it sounds stupid in hindsight) that I didn't realise just how much blood is used for treatments until my father in law's blood transfusions after his operations over the past few years. Such a small thing to do if you can, but has such a big impact.

Loving the response on this thread. Lots of blood going to people who need it. 

I’ve just seen a Facebook ad and the blood service is requesting people who have recovered from Covid to donate plasma. If you’ve just recovered from it. Now is a great time to donate. 

https://m.facebook.com/215286115166197/posts/4396605250367575/?d=n

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 1:25 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Loving the response on this thread. Lots of blood going to people who need it. 

I’ve just seen a Facebook ad and the blood service is requesting people who have recovered from Covid to donate plasma. If you’ve just recovered from it. Now is a great time to donate. 

https://m.facebook.com/215286115166197/posts/4396605250367575/?d=n

I donated my second lot of plasma this morning, I had to stop 3 quarters the way through as the anti clotting agent made me have a metallic taste. 

Well that didn't quite go as planned!!

Was going great guns on the draining blood bit, but when the machine started the first phase of the return process the area around the needle started swelling up like a water balloon! Nothing major but they did have to stop it there and then. 

Managed to get about a quarter of the planned donation out before it went wrong, so if the antibody test comes back positive then it won't have been completely wasted.  Does mean that I've got to wait 4 weeks instead of 1 until I can go again (if they need me) as they took more blood out of me than planned. Bugger!