Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I had a mixed bag of Bestivals back in the day, five day heatwaves and actual hurricanes. 

Trying to have a think myself, I did 2011-2016 and then also 2018. If memory serves me right (which it might not as those were some messy weekends)...

2011 - Really nice, but rained on the Saturday night I think? 

2012 - Beautiful all weekend 

2013 - Same as 2012

2014 - I remember it being nice, don't think it rained? 

2015 - Nice all weekend, drizzle/rain in the afternoon on Sunday, and then a biblical rain storm on the Sunday night after Missy 

2016 - I don't remember any rain

2017 - Didn't go, but that was the horrendous weather year wasnt it? 

2018 - 30 degrees all weekend

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Trying to have a think myself, I did 2011-2016 and then also 2018. If memory serves me right (which it might not as those were some messy weekends)...

2013 - Same as 2012

2015 - Nice all weekend, drizzle/rain in the afternoon on Sunday, and then a biblical rain storm on the Sunday night after Missy 

If you don't remember any rain in 2016 I think you may have been absolutely banjoed from start to finish.

Suspect you're mixing up 16 and 17.

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

2013 - Same as 2012

Good summary, I went to three on the bounce and I’m sure one was definitely 2012, that must have been the one which was beautiful all weekend. It was a bit chilly in the evening but lovely in the day.

There was definitely one when a full on hurricane hit Sunday night/Monday morning. Our tent was completely flattened by it. That said, the rest of the weekend wasn’t that bad if I remember rightly, so it wasn’t the end of the world.

Obviously Glasto has had some mega weather the past few years, but I’d be surprised if there was much difference if you compared the weather over a say a ten year period for Glastonbury, and then a set weekend early September.

One thing you definitely won’t get in September is some of the 35+ temps we’ve had in June over the past few years.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Some interesting points in this article/opinion piece from a few days ago so pretty current. (not sure if already posted). 

https://thefortyfive.com/opinion/will-we-get-a-festival-season-in-2021/

Covers bits of Glastonbury and has some decent input from the MD of End of the Road.

Very interesting, there was also a doctor on the news earlier today having a right old go at the antigen tests. Basically saying they are more harm than good.

PCR relies on chemistry and that's 45mins minimum. We're testing at 90minutes to reduce the risk of false negatives.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you don't remember any rain in 2016 I think you may have been absolutely banjoed from start to finish.

Suspect you're mixing up 16 and 17.

Actually you're right, just had a memory of spending all day in one of the groups big communal tent just absolutely miserable. 

I think the Thursday might have been nice and then it went downhill. 

God that year felt a bit naff all round actually, Bollywood was a shadow of its former self. 

Mrs L recieved recent briefing from hospital leadership warning regional situation Q1 2021 would be no better than Q4 and potentially worse. No forecasts for Q2 we're given as hard to predict with confidence, just "hoping for slow sustained improvement" Privately one of the leaders said "only a full lockdown has made a significant difference to case loads so far"

Doesn't tell us more than we already know but it's the backdrop all event organisers have to work on. 

Edited by Lycra

15 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Mrs L recieved recent briefing from hospital leadership warning regional situation Q1 2021 would be no better than Q4 and potentially worse. No forecasts for Q2 we're given as hard to predict with confidence, just "hoping for slow sustained improvement" Privately one of the leaders said "only a full lockdown has made a significant difference to case loads so far"

Doesn't tell us more than we already know but it's the backdrop all event organisers have to work on. 

How are you guys holding up? I hope you are both coping as well as you can be. I’m not sure if many others that work in the NHS on here but I wanna say thanks for all you are doing. 

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

How are you guys holding up? I hope you are both coping as well as you can be. I’m not sure if many others that work in the NHS on here but I wanna say thanks for all you are doing. 

Much appreciated @Ozanne. It's hard and endless and not helped by staff absenteeism through illness or shielding. A far greater number of staff are doing the latter this time round so there's a much greater reliance on agency staff....and many of them are as useful as a chocolate fireguard! Puts enough more strain on the permanents'. Plus Mrs L now has a bad back (been suffering since September) but annoyingly she refuses to have time off.......or see a Doc lol

10 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Much appreciated @Ozanne. It's hard and endless and not helped by staff absenteeism through illness or shielding. A far greater number of staff are doing the latter this time round so there's a much greater reliance on agency staff....and many of them are as useful as a chocolate fireguard! Puts enough more strain on the permanents'. Plus Mrs L now has a bad back (been suffering since September) but annoyingly she refuses to have time off.......or see a Doc lol

You really doing incredible work and I hope you guys can make it through the winter to when things hopefully get better in the Spring. I hope Mrs L’s back improves too!

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hopefully the lack of shopping in January will make tier 3 more effective.

but ' the none food shops are not closed in England '

well not this second - they keep chopping and changing.

London is now in tier 3 

I reckon Scotland has a better plan

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pages/protection-level-4/

T-3.jpg.ccbea1fc02af35910cdcbdb5c51b4605.jpg

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

Glastonbury 2021: Emily Eavis says 'we're doing everything we can' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55315202

gotta say, Emily doesn’t sound overly confident about 2021 😬

They know they need a period even if the numbers do suddenly go down. I have the holiday booked but I'm not expecting it to happen. 

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Glastonbury 2021: Emily Eavis says 'we're doing everything we can' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55315202

Its honest but she's essentially saying the same thing other festival people have said over the last month or so.

"We are going to try very hard to have it on next year but we need a festival fund and clarity from govt."

Main takeaway for me is that they will decide earlier than March in 2021 if it isn't happening so they don't waste as much money.

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Potentially shes just managing expectations, she can't say it will definitely happen without much clarity but then she obviously doesn't want to rule it out entirely - I'm still feeling optimistic towards a festival season in some capacity but think we'll hey a far better idea come the spring of what itll be like