Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I appreciate there'd be a greater risk with a festival as there would be more than average contacts.

But if the virus is spreading wildly at a festival it'd also be spreading wildly outside of the festival too, and that factor needs to be taken into account.

Because that either means the festival wouldn't be allowed to go ahead because the virus was spreading wildly, or because the govt has decided that it's not too concerned with the virus spreading wildly (probably because the healthcare demands are under control).

If Glastonbury does go ahead, it's going to go ahead in an environment where there's similar risks within the rest of society (and probably a low risk).

I think this is the point people miss. If someone goes to Glastonbury, gets Covid and passes it onto other people, is that an issue when those other people they passed it onto have also been going about their normal life?

Whats the issue with catching Covid from someone who caught it at Glastonbury, when you were down the pub all weekend and could’ve just as easily caught it there?

If you’ve got a problem with that you need to continue to self isolate away from society.

37 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That is a good point actually. Weren't there a few cases of health workers dying who were quite young and healthy, but it was to do with exposure to viral load? Hopefully vaccinating them will put a stop to those kinds of deaths.

This stuff got reported on a lot in the early days, mainly from Italy, but you just never hear about it now. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places to see it.

Mrs L lost 5 hospital colleagues to covid, youngest was in 30s. Many others have caught Covid, some becoming dangerously ill. She looks after seriously ill covid patients and is not yet scheduled to be vaccinated.

Edited by Lycra

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The flipside of vaccinations not being that successful is what then?

Life as it is now is not sustainable, society and the economy will eventually crumble if we carry in as we are.

I personally don’t place much importance on how successful it is, it just needs to do ‘something‘

If it doesn’t work exactly as hoped, then we aren’t going to spend another year as we are trying to work on other vaccines that will work better.

Some people seem to think the current situation is an actual choice we have that we can just continue with indefinitely, we can’t.

I appreciate that doesn’t mean festivals will definitely happen this summer, but festivals are on a par with or similar to a myriad other events and aspects of our society which are currently on hold at the moment, which cannot stay in hold indefinitely.

Its not going to be zero deaths and zero public health impact before life gets back to normal, it’s going to be when is the absolute soonest we can get life back to normal?

image.jpeg.5594650ea4c5598b37d06774df14da84.jpeg

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I appreciate there'd be a greater risk with a festival as there would be more than average contacts.

But if the virus is spreading wildly at a festival it'd also be spreading wildly outside of the festival too, and that factor needs to be taken into account.

Because that either means the festival wouldn't be allowed to go ahead because the virus was spreading wildly, or because the govt has decided that it's not too concerned with the virus spreading wildly (probably because the healthcare demands are under control).

If Glastonbury does go ahead, it's going to go ahead in an environment where there's similar risks within the rest of society (and probably a low risk).

Thinking about it, you're probably right from an entirely scientific viewpoint.

And there is a decent chance that Spaffer will just go "no more restrictions, the UK is open for business as of 1 June 2021"

But I also think it's more likely we'll actually have some sort of slow relaxing of restrictions with some measures being kept in, even if they're of dubious benefit, for longer. And I think "events of greater than 100,000 people" will be the last to be allowed. (With that figure starting at 1000 in April and going up throughout the year)

It's an easy way to look like they're still doing something. Even if, as you say, the science may not back it up.

37 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Well this is worse then I expected tbh. 

By mid January we will only have about 120k people immune through vaccination. A lot of those healthcare workers.

That's going to have absolutely NO noticeable effect on deaths and hospitalisations 

We're talking about late Feb, early March then before getting an impact on figures.

Long term it’s a safe option not to run 2021 than risk a last minute uninsured cancellation.  You can plug budgets if you don’t start the build. If you start the build uninsured and it’s cancelled - that’s a huge financial hit.  Where will the money come from for that?  Why would you take the risk?  The festival need to think about long term survival not just the 2021 festival. 

Thing are changing fast. If the vaccine roll out impacts the daily deaths sufficiently by end of March then the government might not have the votes to extend restrictions.  

I doubt the roll out is fast enough for Glastonbury 21.  With the information at hand right now, its too risky to go ahead.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Thinking about it, you're probably right from an entirely scientific viewpoint.

And there is a decent chance that Spaffer will just go "no more restrictions, the UK is open for business as of 1 June 2021"

But I also think it's more likely we'll actually have some sort of slow relaxing of restrictions with some measures being kept in, even if they're of dubious benefit, for longer. And I think "events of greater than 100,000 people" will be the last to be allowed. (With that figure starting at 1000 in April and going up throughout the year)

It's an easy way to look like they're still doing something. Even if, as you say, the science may not back it up.

Whilst I don’t disagree with you, limiting events by size would be largely pointless. Glastonbury covers an area the size of oxford, stopping Glastonbury but allowing unlimited events below 100,000 capacity, but that take place in a smaller area and which added together have a capacity many magnitudes bigger than Glastonbury, would be completely stupid and achieve nothing.  

Just now, DeanoL said:

That's pretty much my thinking based on the tories - although I'll be mildly surprised if it's as late as June.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking there might still be low-level restrictions in place - primarily masks and some manner of social distancing (not necessarily everywhere, perhaps just indoors and in big crowds) - which would probably make Glastonbury unviable.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think this is the point people miss. If someone goes to Glastonbury, gets Covid and passes it onto other people, is that an issue when those other people they passed it onto have also been going about their normal life?

Whats the issue with catching Covid from someone who caught it at Glastonbury, when you were down the pub all weekend and could’ve just as easily caught it there?

If you’ve got a problem with that you need to continue to self isolate away from society.

Don’t mention people taking personal responsibility, it’s much easier to blame the gov.

Same as going home for Christmas. We’re not seeing my grandparents this year, and will continue not to see them until it’s safe. apart from waving through the window and skype. 

I’d happily go to a festival tomorrow but I don’t live and work with anyone vulnerable. By June if there’s any reason you can’t take the risk then don’t go! There’s about 1million other people that will take your ticket. 

2 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

By June if there’s any reason you can’t take the risk then don’t go! There’s about 1million other people that will take your ticket. 

I really don't feel that is a viable way for Glastonbury to advertise their festival going ahead... Think of the many people that could be working there in the food trucks etc that may have serious underlying health issues but if the festivals going ahead are they probably aren't in a position to refuse the income, thus putting themselves or others at serious risk. It's a non starter. 

2 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

I really don't feel that is a viable way for Glastonbury to advertise their festival going ahead... Think of the many people that could be working there in the food trucks etc that may have serious underlying health issues but if the festivals going ahead are they probably aren't in a position to refuse the income, thus putting themselves or others at serious risk. It's a non starter. 

If your primary income is running a food truck, and festivals are going ahead you won’t have much of a choice. There is no more furlough/ support coming. 

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

😥

IMG_6614.jpg

Without poo pooing this article, they would say this kind of thing. It’s not really and update and in my view doesn’t really change much to be honest. I don’t mean to sound patronising but keep calm, this doesn’t change things either way guys!

• Upvote 1

Just now, eFestivals said:

if that's the advice for Glastonbury it's going to be the same advice for the rest of society.

Glastonbury doesn't and won't exist in a bubble that's different to how everything else is operating.

Well ok, that cannot really be the advice generally, especially in the festival sector. In my opinion.

1 minute ago, Old_Johno said:

If your primary income is running a food truck, and festivals are going ahead you won’t have much of a choice. There is no more furlough/ support coming. 

Foodtruck was just an example for my point and furlough has been extended twice already, if your job cannot exist in the guidelines they will have to offer some form of tailored support 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Long term it’s a safe option not to run 2021 than risk a last minute uninsured cancellation.  You can plug budgets if you don’t start the build. If you start the build uninsured and it’s cancelled - that’s a huge financial hit.  Where will the money come from for that?  Why would you take the risk?  The festival need to think about long term survival not just the 2021 festival. 

Thing are changing fast. If the vaccine roll out impacts the daily deaths sufficiently by end of March then the government might not have the votes to extend restrictions.  

I doubt the roll out is fast enough for Glastonbury 21.  With the information at hand right now, its too risky to go ahead.

How are you doing mate?

The Euros are in June. Scotland play England. Scotland have qualified for the first time in 23 years. 

The transmission risk of covid from 10th June until 10th July during this tournament will FAR supersede the risk during Glastonbury. Yet Glastonbury looks like it wont go ahead.

What great times we live in 

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

The Euros are in June. Scotland play England. Scotland have qualified for the first time in 23 years. 

The transmission risk of covid from 10th June until 10th July during this tournament will FAR supersede that during Glastonbury. Yet Glastonbury looks like it wont go ahead.

What great times we live in 

If football stadiums start to fill up that’s a good sign for the festival

13 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

That’s just really a choice between keeping your business going and earning income, or not. 

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

If football stadiums start to fill up that’s a good sign for the festival

I was more meaning pubs and household mixing. The whole of scotland will be a virus Petri dish for the 2 weeks we are in the tournament. It will seem crazy if Glastonbury is not allowed during this time.

Moreover, fans in stadiums then will make no difference to Glastonbury if the decision to cancel has been made in February 

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Well ok, that cannot really be the advice generally, especially in the festival sector. In my opinion.

But it's going to be the advice generally. How can "don't do anything if you feel its unsafe" not be the advice? 😛 

12 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Foodtruck was just an example for my point and furlough has been extended twice already, if your job cannot exist in the guidelines they will have to offer some form of tailored support 

If foodtruck (wo)man doesn't feel able to risk festivals, it's time for foodtruck (wo)man to find other employment. 

No one has their employment status guaranteed. Life is what changes what a person does.

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I was more meaning pubs and household mixing. The whole of scotland will be a virus Petri dish for the 2 weeks we are in the tournament. It will seem crazy if Glastonbury is not allowed during this time.

Moreover, fans in stadiums then will make no difference to Glastonbury if the decision to cancel has been made in February 

You can decide to open a football stadium a week in advance. So it’s possible Glastonbury will be off and stadiums are full and no one did anything crazy. It’s moving so fast you can only make decisions with information you have in hand.