U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Crackers. They're really going for it aren't they?

We’re literally watching a slow motion coup attempt in action. We all knew Trump would try this shit, but now that it’s actually happening, and the rest of his party seems more than happy to let it, it’s really quite bizarre and hard to believe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

We’re literally watching a slow motion coup attempt in action. We all knew Trump would try this shit, but now that it’s actually happening, and the rest of his party seems more than happy to let it, it’s really quite bizarre and hard to believe.

I never expected Trump to concede, but I am surprised quite how much the rest of the party has fallen in line. It's unnerving just how resolute they're being.

What I don't understand is the willingness to subvert the whole election process in the US.   Why would a US patriot call into question the election ?  It makes the US out to be a corrupt state, regardless of blue or red.  If you can't trust it then democracy doesn't exist. Why why would a president of the US want to expose that?

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy for our UK process - very manual and old fashioned. Count the votes and announce it on the night when the count is done.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

That’s utter madness, have they completely lost their minds?

They pulled the lawsuit this morning after it was clear that there is no such thing as decertification. Plus the white house got into contact with both of them and you know they were coherced  into doing what they did. giuliani melting earlier along with the clip above is hilarious. Just crazy to see that they feel them flailing around with lawsuits that have nothing behind them is deemed a success and is something the supreme court would even consider taking up when its never ever going to get there. Oh yeah, and find the clip of her saying Hugo Chavez is behind it. ( he has been dead for a while )

Theyre screwed starting next week when a lot of  these states begin certification and nothing can be changed. Theyre gonna try to say that they can make the legislatures change their votes but thats not how it works. Plus the supreme court already ruled that nobody can go rogue when the electoral College vote happens.

2 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

What I don't understand is the willingness to subvert the whole election process in the US.   Why would a US patriot call into question the election ?  It makes the US out to be a corrupt state, regardless of blue or red.  If you can't trust it then democracy doesn't exist. Why why would a president of the US want to expose that?

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy for our UK process - very manual and old fashioned. Count the votes and announce it on the night when the count is done.

Theyve always wanted to make it more complicated than it should be. A black person being worth 3/5ths should be a clear enough sign, so does women only having been able to vote for 100 years.  The opposing party knows  it would never get a meaningful presence in the government if they played by the rules. Partisan politics didnt even matter til FDR anyway. Being a republican used to be a good thing. Thats why you see orange face try to tout that lincoln was the greatest republican ever and he is of that party so theyre the best one.

The Georgia  senate race needs to be blue or nothing can change. The John Lewis voting rights act cant pass, a stimulus for everyone and lots of other policy thats going to benefit everyone for years is on the line. Middle america and the poor southern states just hate being shit on cause they cant have what the coasts do. So they like to wave around their votes and show the big boys they can fuck it all up. Its even more to do with the education system that doesnt help all those communities even more so that they are so easily influenced by fox news and such. And whose fault is that? The GOP. 

just wait til january when everything will calm down and no more doomscrolling. Politicians arent supposed to be on tv every single day over mundane shit. Youre only supposed to notice  them when its major game changing legislation, the supreme court, a terrorist attack or a natural disaster, nothing else. Not a 24/7 365 reality show. 

24 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

just wait til january when everything will calm down and no more doomscrolling. Politicians arent supposed to be on tv every single day over mundane shit. Youre only supposed to notice  them when its major game changing legislation, the supreme court, a terrorist attack or a natural disaster, nothing else. Not a 24/7 365 reality show. 

Why celebrities can run for President I have no idea. Imagine the outrage in this country if Alan Sugar ran for Prime Minister. 

23 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Then you remember that Boris Johnson is the actual prime minister and suddenly Alan Sugar doesn't seem quite so bad 

Only chose Alan Sugar because of The  Apprentice host connection. Should have really used Katie Hopkins as the Trump equivalent. 

What bugs me is that these aren’t even consistent accusations. Trump is saying it’s because of mail in votes, the Trump Campaigners are saying Hugo Chavez coded a virus in the voting machines, the Trump cult are saying it’s because they are counting votes after they came in on Election Day, the alt right media are saying it’s because dead people are voting etc.

If they had one shit fraud theory which is then developed and pushed with details I could see it being more believed but this throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why celebrities can run for President I have no idea. Imagine the outrage in this country if Alan Sugar ran for Prime Minister. 

We've got Johnson, whose star rose on 'Have I Got News For You' and he fostered this image of a 'loveable bumbling rogue'.

Edited by Copperface
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

wow Fox is binning trump faster than I thought. Look at the comments though! Not going down well.

I must admit the meltdowns going on are quite alarming. it’s getting even worse

Read something this morning that apparently Fox News ratings are down by nearly 40% since election night. Clearly Trump’s base aren’t liking them ditching Trump and calling out his fumbled coup attempt.

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

He was a politician before then though. He just got the image of being the friendly happy politician. 

He was still a journalist when he had his first appearance. Was his first step in raising his profile. Had yet to become an MP or Mayor etc. It was a PR choice.

Wow that presser was something else. Up there with the most ridiculous stuff we’ve seen post election. 

Giuliani is just a cartoon character at this point. I don’t mean this an insult or a joke - I seriously think that guy has some quite serious mental health issues. He was always a bit whacky, but he seems like he’s totally lost his mind now. 

Edited by jparx

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Wow that presser was something else. Up there with the most ridiculous stuff we’ve seen post election. 

Giuliani is just a cartoon character at this point. I don’t mean this an insult or a joke - I seriously think that guy has some quite serious mental health issues. He was always a bit whacky, but he seems like he’s totally lost his mind now. 

To think that this is the guy that Trump is using to try and get the election overturned. Just the last month this guy has had his appearance in Borat, the Four Seasons thing and now this. Clearly you have to have absolutely no shame to go up there and spout such bullshit, and clearly he’s the only one as batshit as Trump to still be doing it with no sense of irony or self awareness.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Rereading Wolff's first Trump book and read yesterday that Trump kept floating Giulliani as a legal hire purely because he was so desperately loyal that he would 'take on kamikaze jobs' for the president.

Recall from the second book that Giulliani would ring Trump begging for jobs and Trump would brush him off saying he was a washed-up alcoholic (hence the chronic sweating, I would guess) desperate for money after his latest divorce.