What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, st dan said:

Is anybody else reluctant to watch a film or TV show if it falls under a certain IMDb rating? 
For me, I tend to not watch a film that’s rated below 7.5, or a TV series below 8.0. (I do not include comedies in this as I know they are subjective and I enjoy silly humour). 

I know I’m potentially missing out on some great things by doing this, but i find it’s never really let me down with the series I’ve watched so far. 

Just that I quite fancied watching The Flight Attendant (after seeing it on Gogglebox) but it only got 7.1 on IMDb so I didn’t bother. 

No I don't really care too much what others think I like high brow, low brow and in between brow at different times and some people are insufferable bores who try and spoil the fun and joy in everything (and I say this as a Theatre, Film and Television graduate) 

I just have different expectations of different tv shows. I enjoyed The Flight Attendant but it's not in the same league as Breaking Bad or The West Wing but it means you can watch it while doing birthday present shopping online like I did the other night. I have TV shows that I can watch whilst working (when I am doing some boring repetitive tasks) and others that I know I need to give my full concentration. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My jaw was on the floor at the Danish aristocrats doing the calypso song.

😄marvellous scenes, loved Dennis as well. We ended up having a bbc4 binge last night, Duran Duran and new wave totps was were ace.

On 4/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, John the Moth said:

Homeland: season 8.

good stuff, very tense.

I loved Homeland, it’s up there as one of the  shows I’ve enjoyed most. I didn’t think the 7th and 8th series were quite as good as the previous six though. 

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I too may have spent way too long watching Duran Duran related content.

But then many people - big, strong people - are saying more and more that they should play a "set" on the farm (Michael's).

I've had the misfortune to see Duran Duran live twice. The first time touring their 1st album, I couldn't give you an opinion as all I could hear was screaming teenagers.

The second time touring 'Rio', there was less screaming. I missed the screaming! The songs & the musicianship were ok, but Le Bon's voice!!!!!!! 😲 Honestly, he made Ian Brown sound like Pavarotti!

His voice may have improved over time or it may have been an off night, but for that reason, I'm out on the DD to play G debate.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Saturday night on a stage like the Holts or mid afternoon on the big pointy bastard and an hour of hits. I don't see how they could fuck it up.

Like I said, maybe it was an off night, but I won't be wasting an hour of my precious time on the farm trying to find out!

Top 5 worst voices I've heard live:

5. Bob Dylan 

4. Ian Brown 

3. That bloke from Embrace 

2. Peter Hooton (The Farm)

1. Simon Le Bon

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Jury's out for me. IIRC their Bestival set seemed to be well received.

Aye, I was off my box and belting out the words along with him so maybe not the best judgement, but I definitely recall thinking he sounded really good and much better than I was expecting.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye, I was off my box and belting out the words along with him so maybe not the best judgement, but I definitely recall thinking he sounded really good and much better than I was expecting.

I was at that gig. Expected them to be shit but enjoyed it. I think I may have been laughing at them for about 50% of it though.

Started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Turns out it's v funny.

I was in a hostel in the Mekong Delta once. I asked the guy on reception if I could hire one of their bikes (as advertised). By the end of the convo, he'd made a veiled threat o have me killed.

Basically, every single scene in Curb is like that conversation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I loved Homeland, it’s up there as one of the  shows I’ve enjoyed most. I didn’t think the 7th and 8th series were quite as good as the previous six though. 

We’ve finished season 8 now, took 4 nights I think. Gripping stuff, I actually think it’s one of the best seasons 🙂

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

Watched Greta on Netflix last night and it was utterly, utterly terrible. Avoid at all costs. 

Waste of a talented cast, isn’t it?

As for Duran Duran, they could smash the kind of slot Sheryl Crow had at the last festival.

Does anyone else watch that Hit List quiz show on BBC. Essentially Name That Tune but decent enough light entertainment.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Turns out it's v funny.

I was in a hostel in the Mekong Delta once. I asked the guy on reception if I could hire one of their bikes (as advertised). By the end of the convo, he'd made a veiled threat o have me killed.

Basically, every single scene in Curb is like that conversation.

Watched 'Long Shot' on netflix the other night and an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm was used to try and get a guy off death row. Was quite interesting.