When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not only nightclubs, but I believe the UK has the highest percentage of people still working from home. That’s a really key driver in my opinion. 

and the government want that to change yesterday! 

47 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Possibly it was the pubs, but I doubt 5,000 Athletico fans went to pubs around Anfield. I’d say gathering make a different depending on climate. 

Pretty sure I read many stayed in the city overnight and went out before/after the game and then around the city the next day- plus busy buses up to the stadium etc. That game going ahead was ridiculous 

On 8/28/2020 at 7:35 PM, Ryan1984 said:

A friend works for the local council and they’ve been told to work from home for as long as they want to.

Can’t really add anything to that.

Its the opposite for us, we work for a state owned utility and there is definite pressure for us to be back in the office so that we support the local economy, all the other private businesses have positively encouraged / enforced  a lot more home working. We can do it but we have to jump through hoops to get it approved.

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

and the government want that to change yesterday! 

Pretty sure I read many stayed in the city overnight and went out before/after the game and then around the city the next day- plus busy buses up to the stadium etc. That game going ahead was ridiculous 

Agreed, it definitely shouldn’t have gone ahead.

7 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Great. I'm off to uni next month. This was exactly the reassurance I needed... 🤣🥺

but, they're not like care homes because they're full of young people who mostly won't get that ill if they catch it, let alone die. As long as they stay within campus "bubble" should be ok. What they need is decent testing so everyone can get a test before going home for christmas.

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

but, they're not like care homes because they're full of young people who mostly won't get that ill if they catch it, let alone die. As long as they stay within campus "bubble" should be ok. What they need is decent testing so everyone can get a test before going home for christmas.

And in addition to that should a mass outbreak happen they'll undoubtedly have the powers to shut up shop, the school I work in has been given these new powers if we feel theres too great a risk for everyone, the education sector has the power for this unlike care homes and hospitals that can't 

Edited by Chapple12345

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

97%+ of the students may be young but the teaching & ancillary staff, cleaners, porters, catering staff, maintenance crew etc aren't. Not only are they at risk personally but they could import the virus back into their family circle.

Additionally some young people do get seriously ill with Covid 19 and some do die.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Additionally some young people do get seriously ill with Covid 19 and some do die

Hardly any.

I agree though that workers in university campuses are at risk...so there would have to be social distancing and masks etc in certain places., same as in schools.

Edited by steviewevie

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Hardly any.

I agree though that workers in university campuses are at risk...so there would have to be social distancing and masks etc in certain places., same as in schools.

Mrs Lycra, who has been right on the front line nursing Covid patients from when this all began and continues to do so, would beg to differ. She has witnessed first hand how devastating the illness can be across all ages and watched as old and young have died. 

It's easy to dismiss the severity of the disease if you haven't come into contact with it.

Just now, Lycra said:

Mrs Lycra, who has been right on the front line nursing Covid patients from when this all began and continues to do so, would beg to differ. She has witnessed first hand how devastating the illness can be across all ages and watched as old and young have died. 

It's easy to dismiss the severity of the disease if you haven't come into contact with it.

I’m sure I read that 36 people under 40 in the UK have died without underlying health problems 

11 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I dont think anyone is dismissing its seriousness. But younger people are less vulnerable to it than older ones. So it's a stage were not going to school/university is worse for them than getting infected 

I live in a city with several universities. Freshers flu is a big thing every year when new viruses are brought into the area and spread throughout the city. 

It doesn’t matter if you’re a student or not, usually every October a lot of people will get ill due to the new influx of viruses from around the country. 

Normally these aren’t as harmful as Covid but the conditions for spreading the virus are perfect when you get a large influx of students into a city at the same time. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah I don’t really want to catch it and be stuck with long term health conditions though, or pass it on to my family when I get back.

As you say all universities and schools need proper testing, I think everyone should be tested once a week so they can proactively catch any outbreaks rather than reactively making people isolate if they come into contact with someone showing symptoms.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I live in a city with several universities. Freshers flu is a big thing every year when new viruses are brought into the area and spread throughout the city. 

It doesn’t matter if you’re a student or not, usually every October a lot of people will get ill due to the new influx of viruses from around the country. 

Normally these aren’t as harmful as Covid but the conditions for spreading the virus are perfect when you get a large influx of students into a city at the same time. 

Oh gosh, now I’m really nervous about going back. ☹️

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m sure I read that 36 people under 40 in the UK have died without underlying health problems 

Yes it’s uncommon for young people without underlying health conditions to die, but it’s certainly possible, and young people could easily get long term chronic health conditions who do survive the illness.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont think anyone is dismissing its seriousness. But younger people are less vulnerable to it than older ones. So it's a stage were not going to school/university is worse for them than getting infected 

I agree we all have to try to get back to some degree of normality and we have to do it my minimising the risk. Problem is that there is a large pool of the population that aren't good at minimising risk.