When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, morph100 said:

My mate said if there’s no vaccine by Christmas Glastonbury 2021 will get cancelled and the festival will collapse because they can’t cope with missing two years on the trot.

Has to be nonsense! Please reassure me, I’m already 99% sure but you know I like the extra voices on here to shout him down

Also I live in a small village near Leicester so looking forward to getting locked down and riddled with Covid 😞

He’s basically telling you what the interview in the Guardian this week said but it feels like we have reason to be positive (hopefully the more scientifically minded can reply as well).

14 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

He’s basically telling you what the interview in the Guardian this week said but it feels like we have reason to be positive (hopefully the more scientifically minded can reply as well).

I was thinking more like they got £10m in bank for emergencies so even if it got cancelled rather than rolled over (I’d happily roll over again) they would be fine

19 minutes ago, morph100 said:

My mate said if there’s no vaccine by Christmas Glastonbury 2021 will get cancelled and the festival will collapse because they can’t cope with missing two years on the trot.

Has to be nonsense! Please reassure me, I’m already 99% sure but you know I like the extra voices on here to shout him down

Also I live in a small village near Leicester so looking forward to getting locked down and riddled with Covid 😞

I can’t see the business going under. The festival is massively over subscribed every year, they could charge double and it’d still sell out. The brand is massive and the festival’s promise is good as gold, they could easily raise plenty capital by issuing some kinda glastonbury bond.

Highly unlikely the festival would go under due to a second cancellation, but the possibility of that is probably 50/50.

In the absence of a vaccine restrictions will remain in place for a long, long time. Could take years to find an effective vaccine, if one ever is.

I was working on resilience planning for a few months from March and initial planning timescale was 18 months. As a start.

32 minutes ago, morph100 said:

no one knows what will happen, including your mate.

I honestly think Glastonbury would get bailed out some pretty big corporations. I know we don’t like corporate sponsorship but I reckon A LOT of big names would pitch in to save it. I’m not worried at all.

Imagine the PR if your company pitched in to save Glastonbury?

I’m also not worried at all. If I’m being honest I didn’t think stuff would be reopening this early. I thought we wouldn’t see the reopening that we are seeing now until September. So things are already way ahead of schedule for me.

Think how far we have gone from March to June? June - December is even longer than that! I think things will be incredibly different even by October!

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Hi Morph

I will add to the reassurance it’s not going to happen for the reasons other posters have given

I’m in Leicester too - try not to overthink it (I know that can be very hard sometimes) I’m sure we will be travelling down the M5 next year to that beautiful place! xx

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Your mate, what credentials does he have? If he’s someone with no inside knowledge then I wouldn’t put much stick into what he’s saying. As others have said he’s probably just read The Guardian interview and gone from there. 

I’m fairly sure the festival will go ahead next year regardless of what happens. We are opening up even now and it’s a year away. So much will change in the next few months and we won’t fully lockdown again. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Your mate, what credentials does he have? If he’s someone with no inside knowledge then I wouldn’t put much stick into what he’s saying. As others have said he’s probably just read The Guardian interview and gone from there. 

I’m fairly sure the festival will go ahead next year regardless of what happens. We are opening up even now and it’s a year away. So much will change in the next few months and we won’t fully lockdown again. 

I like your optimism! I'm struggling to believe there won't be another wave and lockdown but hopeful there will be something to stop Covid causing significant further death even if there is not a full vaccine.

1 minute ago, Ashl said:

I like your optimism! I'm struggling to believe there won't be another wave and lockdown but hopeful there will be something to stop Covid causing significant further death even if there is not a full vaccine.

There may not be another lockdown but allowing mass gatherings is another level entirely. If no vaccine , will be not still be socially distancing etc? Once measures like queuing for the supermarket and masks on public transport are gone I might start to allow myself to believe it might happen...just can't bear the disappointment if I get my hopes up and it doesn't.

8 minutes ago, Ashl said:

There may we’ll be another wave but everyone seems to think it will be autumn/winter and Glastonbury was cancelled in March. There could be a other wave after that of course, but we aren’t going to keep locking down every time because it would be catastrophic for the economy and cause many many more issues than it would solve. Music festivals could still be affected though, but pre Covid there was obviously a huge demand for them and that demand isn’t going to go away. What happens if you deny people gigs and festivals for 18 months? Do people seek and create alternatives (like the illegal raves) that create greater issues than holding proper events?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I feel very confident Glastonbury, and most festivals (certainly the bigger ones) will go ahead next year with or without a vaccine/treatment. The industry is already working on how to make this happen and there's too much at stake for something not to be figured out. I thought Michael and Emily sounded quite bullish in that interview, more so than I thought they would to be honest.

The industry needs to get back on its feet ASAP and I think we'll soon start and see some areas, possibly football first, having some kind of scheme in place like Benn's suggestion of testing and covid-clear passports or something. If we're living with the virus for the long term, i.e. the next few years, the damage to industries like hospitality would be terminal if they didn't find a way to operate. Something will be in place to allow events to return, quite simply because there has to be. 

I feel confident because things have moved much faster than I actually thought they would. I know we have a go at the government for moving fast but in the case of Glastonbury it might be a good thing.

I’m also in the camp that by next summer it will probably be case of personal risk and responsibility to attend a festival.

Also putting a vaccine to one side, we've now got two treatments, one of which reduces the death rate a bit. You have to imagine by the end of the year we could have a couple more, and if those treatments gradually reduce the mortality rate even further there will become a point where the government, rightly or wrongly, accepts the danger to life of the virus with treatments is less than the damage to the economy and livelihoods. 

Edited by jparx

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel confident because things have moved much faster than I actually thought they would. I know we have a go at the government for moving fast but in the case of Glastonbury it might be a good thing.

I’m also in the camp that by next summer it will probably be case of personal risk and responsibility to attend a festival.

Indeed. Now we've got retail back up and running in some form, and soon the food and drink industry, the next big step is live events. You have to think they're going to have a plan in place for them to return by next summer. And it's not just music - sports will be desperate to get fans back in the grounds. Too many people need this to happen for us to still be without events next summer.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Indeed. Now we've got retail back up and running in some form, and soon the food and drink industry, the next big step is live events. You have to think they're going to have a plan in place for them to return by next summer. And it's not just music - sports will be desperate to get fans back in the grounds. Too many people need this to happen for us to still be without events next summer.

There is a plan - https://www.nme.com/news/music/government-unveils-five-stage-plan-see-live-performances-return-uk-2696280?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=government-unveils-five-stage-plan-see-live-performances-return-uk&amp&__twitter_impression=true

I’m more worried about the future of nightclubs tbh. What’s going to happen when the landlords start coming for rent and the govs furlough scheme ends? Can we really see clubs like Printworks or smaller venues like Phonox ect opening again this year? Doesn’t seem like a gov support package is coming anytime soon either....

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

He is working for the government on Covid but has no inside knowledge of Glastonbury. (Just goes every year same as me) Just don’t like the idea that 2021 might not happen due to a vaccine not being available during the planning and build stage of next year. I’m pretty the festival would survive a second year off  

Edited by morph100

2 minutes ago, morph100 said:

He is working for the government on Covid but has no inside knowledge of Glastonbury. (Just goes every year same as me) Just don’t like the idea that 2021 might not happen due to a vaccine not being available during the planning and build stage of next year. I’m pretty the festival would survive a second year off  

Glastonbury had to make a decision by the end of March. We’ve got now until the end of March. Considering how fast things have moved already that is a long long time.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

They can’t justify stopping a festival when there’s been 1,000s of people on beaches.

When it gets to next year the public won’t stand for our Tory overlords cancelling music festivals but then allowing their upper class friends to host horse racing events.