When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

All Irish young people should go an catch the virus deliberately. 

That's amongst the most idiotic things I've heard in a while and there has been a few.

People advocating for this sort of shit should be binned from public forums.

Edited by MrBarry465
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Looks like the Republic of Ireland might only allow indoor dining, etc. for those fully vaccinated from mid-July.

A bit unfair on the younger age groups (assuming they won't have been offered both doses).

To be fair I'd still expect that's where we'll all end up come winter. Not seen any articles, does that mean they can still eat outdoors or is it the same?

Edit - found it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57649546.amp - Yes unvaccinated can use outdoor hospitality 

Edited by efcfanwirral

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

No testing option but there is an option for those who have recovered from covid-19.

All Irish young people should go an catch the virus deliberately. 

It also potentially alienates pregnant couples too, if the woman doesn’t want the jab at this stage (which I completely understand), but their partner is double jabbed. Surely they can’t actually be removing the testing option? Dodgy territory for me that one. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Selfishly hoping their fully vaccinated just means having two doses and not having to wait two weeks after their second dose or else it'll be another cancelled trip down south for me.

Which vaccine did you get? It's 7 days for the mRNA ones and 14 days for the adenoviral vectored ones (and the letter from the CMO explicitly states 14 days post dose 2 for AZ as opposed to 28 days after dose 1 as we used to accept, given the apparent drop in effectiveness of 1 dose against delta). There's significant pushback in cabinet though and the recommendations haven't been fully accepted (they will wait on indoor dining/pubs and not go ahead next week, it was always more likely towards the end of July anyway when 70% of the eligible population are double jabbed), but they haven't figured out how to limit access to anything domestically at this stage (they never planned to use the EU digital health cert for anything other than travel). If they do decide to limit access indoors, the simplest solution they have is the EU health certification we already have (and the AG has previously told them that not allowing negative tests would be unconstitutional). So, the CMO hates LFTs and hasn't included their use in his recommendations, but the AG says restricted access without including them can't be done and would lose a court challenge (and government have already accepted the report of the Chief Scientific Advisor that says they should be used). Pretty sure the government will take what they want from the CMO recommendations and then implement as they see fit (ie, negative tests as per the EU digital Health cert will be included if they do go down this route and they haven't even decided to do that yet). If you have the option of pushing your 2nd dose forward a week or two, maybe worth looking into! (speaking of which, AZ and J&J were also recommended for 18-49 here with informed consent...though with a 4 week gap (oddly)...my gut feeling is that they will use heterologous dosing, but need to go through the latest ComCov data a bit more)...

1 minute ago, st dan said:

It also potentially alienates pregnant couples too, if the woman doesn’t want the jab at this stage (which I completely understand), but their partner is double jabbed. Surely they can’t actually be removing the testing option? Dodgy territory for me that one. 

Vaccine uptake in maternity clinics is really high. They are getting Moderna here and almost everyone is taking it. I'd be amazed if the testing option isn't included (it's in the digital health cert). I expect outdoors will remain as is (no certification needed), indoors need the digital health cert (vaccine, recovered, negative test). 

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Vaccine uptake in maternity clinics is really high. They are getting Moderna here and almost everyone is taking it. I'd be amazed if the testing option isn't included (it's in the digital health cert). I expect outdoors will remain as is (no certification needed), indoors need the digital health cert (vaccine, recovered, negative test). 

I hope you're right on that (for UK too) as i feel it's a slippery path to be honest

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Which vaccine did you get? It's 7 days for the mRNA ones and 14 days for the adenoviral vectored ones (and the letter from the CMO explicitly states 14 days post dose 2 for AZ as opposed to 28 days after dose 1 as we used to accept, given the apparent drop in effectiveness of 1 dose against delta). There's significant pushback in cabinet though and the recommendations haven't been fully accepted (they will wait on indoor dining/pubs and not go ahead next week, it was always more likely towards the end of July anyway when 70% of the eligible population are double jabbed), but they haven't figured out how to limit access to anything domestically at this stage (they never planned to use the EU digital health cert for anything other than travel). If they do decide to limit access indoors, the simplest solution they have is the EU health certification we already have (and the AG has previously told them that not allowing negative tests would be unconstitutional). So, the CMO hates LFTs and hasn't included their use in his recommendations, but the AG says restricted access without including them can't be done and would lose a court challenge (and government have already accepted the report of the Chief Scientific Advisor that says they should be used). Pretty sure the government will take what they want from the CMO recommendations and then implement as they see fit (ie, negative tests as per the EU digital Health cert will be included if they do go down this route and they haven't even decided to do that yet). If you have the option of pushing your 2nd dose forward a week or two, maybe worth looking into! (speaking of which, AZ and J&J were also recommended for 18-49 here with informed consent...though with a 4 week gap (oddly)...my gut feeling is that they will use heterologous dosing, but need to go through the latest ComCov data a bit more)...

My fiancee and I both got Pfizer, my second dose is 5 days before I travel which isn't a complete disaster but my fiancee's is only 3 days before we leave so we may well need to look in to bringing them forward.

Thanks for the info!

17 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

That’s surprising but encouraging to hear - the few people I know who are currently pregnant are a bit reluctant, which is understandable I think. It’s not a case of them being ‘anti-vax’ at all, and I can see their hesitancy with it. Although it’s likely to be very safe with no side effects at at all, history has showed us what can happen (although appreciate completely different circumstances) it’s always in the back of your mind I guess. But then so is catching Covid itself so ….

Edited by st dan

41 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

That's amongst the most idiotic things I've heard in a while and there has been a few.

I agree but for the people who have previously said it's not that big of a deal if people contract the virus, specifically younger people I seem to remember then this comment doesn't surprise me at all. 

54 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Why do you say this?

Read the article. There are two ways in which to obtain a passport to visit an indoor pub in the Republic of Ireland:

1) A passport proving that you are fully vaccinated 

2) A passport proving that you have recovered from covid-19

There is NO option of a negative lateral flow test like we’ve had in the UK for certain events. You need either 1 or 2.

Given that younger groups in Ireland won’t have been offered the chance to become fully vaccinated yet their choice boils down to either foregoing the pub altogether until fully vaccinated, or catching the virus.

I’d take a 10 days self-isolation if it enabled me to go out and enjoy the rest of the summer personally. 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

True story: I visited Shanghai once. It was pretty impressive. I had a lovely time and came back fit and well.

Shanghai is fairly spectacular alright. Down by the Bund, one side of the river looks like London or Paris, the other side looks like something from Star Wars! I have to say, I love the place (bloody expensive though!) 

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Shanghai is fairly spectacular alright. Down by the Bund, one side of the river looks like London or Paris, the other side looks like something from Star Wars! I have to say, I love the place (bloody expensive though!) 

I visited around 2006-ish. The amount of sky-high construction was unreal. I bet it looks incredible now. Being a standard one-language Englishman, I had to point and grunt at the numbered menus (the Western version, different from the ones the natives choose from). I also ended up appearing in countless photos, by request from residents who wanted to be captured with the tall white man. I was a walking tourist attraction. All very surreal. The growth of that country is mind-boggling. They already underwrite half the Western world. In twenty years time, they will be the dominant superpower.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Why do you say this?

Read the article. There are two ways in which to obtain a passport to visit an indoor pub in the Republic of Ireland:

1) A passport proving that you are fully vaccinated 

2) A passport proving that you have recovered from covid-19

There is NO option of a negative lateral flow test like we’ve had in the UK for certain events. You need either 1 or 2.

Given that younger groups in Ireland won’t have been offered the chance to become fully vaccinated yet their choice boils down to either foregoing the pub altogether until fully vaccinated, or catching the virus.

I’d take a 10 days self-isolation if it enabled me to go out and enjoy the rest of the summer personally. 

It's just the recommendations of the CMO, it's not policy at the moment. Our CMO really hates LFTs, so much that he was hauled into the Dáil to explain himself (and he is at odds with the Chief Scientific Advisor and Government on this). The AG has already given advice that not including negative testing would be unconstitutional, so I'd be very surprised to see any such restrictions brought in underpinned by law (much simpler to say the EU Digital Health Cert is required, as there is already a framework for its use....and that includes a negative test as one of the options). 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I visited around 2006-ish. The amount of sky-high construction was unreal. I bet it looks incredible now. Being a standard one-language Englishman, I had to point and grunt at the numbered menus (the Western version, different from the ones the natives choose from). I also ended up appearing in countless photos, by request from residents who wanted to be captured with the tall white man. I was a walking tourist attraction. All very surreal. The growth of that country is mind-boggling. They already underwrite half the Western world. In twenty years time, they will be the dominant superpower.

Well, this is what it looked like at the end of 2019 before all hell broke loose! 
image.thumb.jpeg.7ded85d50a249537a8940c0418ed6a13.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

They probably aren't. But it's the thing that's had the hardest affect on everyone's life since god knows when. Plus this in particular has stopped life moving on.

We can talk about people covering up things from small to little things. Even vastly in football. But did it spread a disease around that killed people from people who knew it was dangerous?, and they knew this pretty damn fast. It stopped a world operating. It's delayed people who needs operations to function for everyday life. It's put a huge strain on hospitals, lost people jobs, potential lost people homes etc etc. 

So we don’t mess about with things like this then ? It’s easy bait to make China a scapegoat isn’t it ? That suits the western world Nicely … it’s absolutely a massive fuckup if it’s proved to be China … but I very much doubt we aren’t doing the exact same things on the quiet .. we supply arms to other countries that are obviously going to maim and kill … 

15 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Well, this is what it looked like at the end of 2019 before all hell broke loose! 
image.thumb.jpeg.7ded85d50a249537a8940c0418ed6a13.jpeg

Fantastic city is Shanghai, went over for work in 2018. I was less convinced by the deep fried whole crab-on-a-stick delicacy served on every street corner mind

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

So we don’t mess about with things like this then ? It’s easy bait to make China a scapegoat isn’t it ? That suits the western world Nicely … it’s absolutely a massive fuckup if it’s proved to be China … but I very much doubt we aren’t doing the exact same things on the quiet .. we supply arms to other countries that are obviously going to maim and kill … 

It's not easy is it? That's where it all started. Yes we do but that's kind of a way of life. That's like saying that arms are supplied to an army to use and do the same thing. We know it's a massive fuckup that got hidden and hoped wouldn't leak out.

But life still carries on through these things. For this actual whole pandemic it hasn't.

People die unnecessarily everyday let's just get that out there. Unfortunately, we cannot stop that totally happening. But the rest of what I've said would not have happened without a big surge breaking out in China. If it was a different case then we would be having news from a different country.