When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, zahidf said:

ft seems to hint that vaccine certificates are being pondered for events industry

20210629_214808.jpg

Got the opposite here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738819/amp/Vaccine-passports-over.html?__twitter_impression=true

Even as someone who is generally against all this on principle, that feels reckless but may explain why they've waited for loads to cancel if this is the plan. Having all those events first few weeks would be pretty dodgy territory 

19 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Got the opposite here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738819/amp/Vaccine-passports-over.html?__twitter_impression=true

Even as someone who is generally against all this on principle, that feels reckless but may explain why they've waited for loads to cancel if this is the plan. Having all those events first few weeks would be pretty dodgy territory 

Oh its the same story: it'll give events the option to run their own scheme. Potentially something insurers would insist on maybe?

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Have Israel just stopped bothering to jab now? I see we’ve now overtaken them in terms of percentage of population with at least one dose, but they’ve been basically on the same level for months 

I really don't get it. I remember reading something about some supply issues, but they can't be having that much trouble, what with their deal with Pfizer - they seem to have pretty much stopped.

Is it just finding the people to jab that's the problem now?

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I really don't get it. I remember reading something about some supply issues, but they can't be having that much trouble, what with their deal with Pfizer - they seem to have pretty much stopped.

Is it just finding the people to jab that's the problem now?

Yeah, they are at the point of binning doses that have expired. Large %s of the Arab-Israeli and ultra orthodox population simply won’t get vaccinated (last reports I saw were 40-50% that were refusing) and they have struggled in more remote areas (when they got most of their Pfizer doses, it was still ultra cold storage, easier now). Pretty much everyone else is done. If they get a wave of delta and have to roll back on some of their more recent freedoms, it may motivate a few more and push them over the critical threshold, otherwise it’ll be immunity the old fashioned way (or they vaccinate kids to get the last few required percent). The US is more or less in the same spot as regards easy vaccinations…some states are only in the low 30s in terms of % fully vaccinated (and have stockpiles of vaccines they can’t give away…Alabama for example only has 32% of people fully vaccinated, but has only used 69% of the doses it received. The rest are sitting there and nobody will take them…1.5m doses in freezers. They’ve had to pause vaccine orders as they are expiring and have to be chucked out, which is a bloody disgrace considering frontline healthcare workers and vulnerable people are dying due to lack of vaccination in other parts of the world). A winter delta wave there could wreak havoc (Israel is in better shape mind you), though of course how much immunity from prior infection there is remains unknown of course. Not something I’d bank on though. 

5 hours ago, zahidf said:

Well done anti vaxxers

In fairness, the government and the media here have some answering to do. Huge fuss was made over the blood clot side effect. AZ was initially going to be available to everyone, then over 50’s, then over 60’s. Now the federal government is saying anyone can have it but that’s being undermined by their own advisory group and various chief health officers at a state level. It’s no wonder that people are confused and reluctant to get it. 

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do remember the conversations on here about the poor european vaccine uptake .....seems to have changed now .... hopefully the same thing happens in Australia 

Its not so much Vaccine hesitancy as Oxford/AZ hesitancy. Quite a number of similarities as to what happened in Europe. It was rolled out, the advice around the clotting issue was poorly communicated and advice around which age group should take it has changed multiple times and people are just now happy to wait for Pfizer. The problem we have unlike Europe is we don't have any Pfizer. 

In saying that, even if we had Pfizer there are  enough systemic problems that there would still be issues. States are currently in open revolt against the federal government and have spent the day sniping at each other through the media. 

14 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

There’s some crazy things to eat alright! There’s loads of lovely places to eat mind you, but whenever our hosts bring us out, it’s like Indiana Jones! (No idea what some of the things I’ve eaten actually are!)…

Absolutely, not seen most of the food we ate over there anywhere back in the UK, good or bad. The food at the exhibition centre in the day was fine but at night in town what we ate was anyone's guess since no one in our group spoke Mandarin! Definitely no bat on the menu though... 😀

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I don’t really have too many issues with this - if the decision even saves the life of one under 40 who may have got a blood clot from AZ then it’s been worth it hasn’t it?

It was also advice given by experts too and not a political decision, so it’s right to follow it rather than rush just for the sake of fully reopening sooner. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I don’t really have too many issues with this - if the decision even saves the life of one under 40 who may have got a blood clot from AZ then it’s been worth it hasn’t it?

It was also advice given by experts too and not a political decision, so it’s right to follow it rather than rush just for the sake of fully reopening sooner. 

Well... not really if it means more under 40s die from covid or get long covid. Plus the general misery caused by more restrictions.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

We need as many as poss to be vaccinated to reach some magic herd immunity %?

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well... not really if it means more under 40s die from covid or get long covid. Plus the general misery caused by more restrictions.

Well if we’d have carried on, you’d have had to hope it wasn’t one of your friends or family members who were one of the unfortunate 1 in 250,000 to have clotting issues from AZ I guess. The experts deemed there was enough risk to recommend that under 40s avoid AZ if possible (which it is possible with our Pfizer and Moderna supplies) so very happy to take their lead on this. As somebody myself who is under 40, I personally wouldn’t have got my vaccine if it was only AZ on offer. And I know others of a similar age and younger feel the same. So the decision has actually increased the total vaccine uptakes I would say. 

Surely if the risks can be eliminated by offering a ‘safer’ alternative it makes sense to do that. Even if it’s meant the 4 week delay. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Well if we’d have carried on, you’d have had to hope it wasn’t one of your friends or family members who were one of the unfortunate 1 in 250,000 to have clotting issues from AZ I guess. The experts deemed there was enough risk to recommend that under 40s avoid AZ if possible (which it is possible with our Pfizer and Moderna supplies) so very happy to take their lead on this. As somebody myself who is under 40, I personally wouldn’t have got my vaccine if it was only AZ on offer. And I know others of a similar age and younger feel the same. So the decision has actually increased the total vaccine uptakes I would say. 

Surely if the risks can be eliminated by offering a ‘safer’ alternative it makes sense to do that. Even if it’s meant the 4 week delay. 

The JVCI guideline say it should only not be offered to under 40s if meant there was no delay in the overall programme and rates are low. As there is now a delay in the overall programme and more Covid around, you and your mates would have been more at risk from Covid than a blood clot

• Upvote 1