When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

27 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I was down in sunny Weymouth yesterday and it felt normal. Pubs rammed, beach rammed and a lot of happy people enjoying themselves.

I just don’t think the majority of people are worried about the virus anymore. I struggle to see how this increased confidence for want of a better phrase will be stopped? It’ll be a backlash if June 21st is delayed.

I get to an extent why people are just doing it. Mental health even for me is starting to kick in a tad.

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

By the hospitals filling up. As you say, everything feels back to normal already, is there really a big clamour for any specific freedoms in the last stage?

It feels far from normal to me. Reduced capacity everywhere, no standing at the bar. Scanning into pubs, table service, one way systems. Smaller crowds at the football. Nobody talking about their summer holidays. 

places are much quieter than a normal bank holiday.

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

By the hospitals filling up. As you say, everything feels back to normal already, is there really a big clamour for any specific freedoms in the last stage?

I was thinking this...they could probably delay indoor mass events till end of summer when gigs get going and students start going back.

11 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

It feels far from normal to me. Reduced capacity everywhere, no standing at the bar. Scanning into pubs, table service, one way systems. Smaller crowds at the football. Nobody talking about their summer holidays. 

places are much quieter than a normal bank holiday.

Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps it’s because everyone has flocked to the beach etc?

Honestly Weymouth yesterday was as busy as I’ve ever seen it. It felt like any normal weekend day pre covid.

As @stuartbert two hats says though perhaps a delay from our current place in the roadmap won’t be seen with a wave of negativity? After all most of us (to the unfortunate detriment of some business sectors) can do what we want to do as things currently stand.

Of course large scale events is something which would be great to have and much needed but I can certainly see an argument whereby delaying the roadmap wouldn’t bother lots of people.

20 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps it’s because everyone has flocked to the beach etc?

Honestly Weymouth yesterday was as busy as I’ve ever seen it. It felt like any normal weekend day pre covid.

As @stuartbert two hats says though perhaps a delay from our current place in the roadmap won’t be seen with a wave of negativity? After all most of us (to the unfortunate detriment of some business sectors) can do what we want to do as things currently stand.

Of course large scale events is something which would be great to have and much needed but I can certainly see an argument whereby delaying the roadmap wouldn’t bother lots of people.

The businesses themselves will not have been as busy though as they are not allowed to be busy.

London appeared to be  busy yesterday. Sat outside a bar right by Festival Hall on the southbank for a few hours. Luckily I'd booked in advance as there was a queue the whole time. Then we went to London's biggest beer garden next door and that was completely full too.

I see the BBC are reporting that a "government advisor" has suggested a two-week delay to the June 21 easing of restrictions. Would that drive a nail into the coffin of the majority of July's festivals or do we think they will looking to take the risk and ride it out? June feels like the key month in terms of the shape of our summer and beyond, in terms of social activities

The friend I met for a few drinkypoos in some dodgy speakeasy in London the other day works as one of those overpaid management consultants you hear about, and for last 6 month he's been working in a team managing the whole vaccine rollout in England. He said it has been mega mad and he's been working 60-80 hour weeks, I thanked him on your behalf.

48 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I see the BBC are reporting that a "government advisor" has suggested a two-week delay to the June 21 easing of restrictions. Would that drive a nail into the coffin of the majority of July's festivals or do we think they will looking to take the risk and ride it out? June feels like the key month in terms of the shape of our summer and beyond, in terms of social activities

Thats how it feels - any delays really call into question a lot of the summer with the insurance issue etc. There'll be zero trust that it won't be "two more weeks til everyone under whatever age has 2 doses", "quadruple variant that we're worried about so wait til everyone has had 2 doses (that we later find out is no different). Any trust in them being allowed to happen will be gone

And the more I think about this no vaccine proof thing, the more I think it means there's just less chance now - that was the safety net, the thing that would allow these gatherings. Now they'll need to be much more cautious with them

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I kind of think we need to bin international travel until everyone has had two doses too.

By allowing it and pressing on with their green list, they've essentially picked international travel over full domestic opening- i think that's the trade off 

55 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think if they did it would depend on whether they set the date or not. If they said 'we're gonna leave it another 2 weeks and then we'll definitely drop everything then' then most would be more willing to take the risk. If they turn and say 'it will be a minimum of 2 weeks but maybe longer' then I think they'd be less likely to but knowing Boris and Co I imagine it'll be the former 

Edited by Chapple12345

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I kind of think we need to bin international travel until everyone has had two doses too.

We booked flights for Barca for June next year for Primavera yesterday. Am hopeful that won't have proven to be too optimistic.

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think if they did it would depend on whether they set the date or not. If they said 'we're gonna leave it another 2 weeks and then we'll definitely drop everything then' then most would be more willing to take the risk. If they turn and say 'it will be a minimum of 2 weeks but maybe longer' then I think they'd be less likely to but know Boris and Co I imagine it'll be the former 

They might say that but would we believe it? 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Thats how it feels - any delays really call into question a lot of the summer with the insurance issue etc. There'll be zero trust that it won't be "two more weeks til everyone under whatever age has 2 doses", "quadruple variant that we're worried about so wait til everyone has had 2 doses (that we later find out is no different). Any trust in them being allowed to happen will be gone

And the more I think about this no vaccine proof thing, the more I think it means there's just less chance now - that was the safety net, the thing that would allow these gatherings. Now they'll need to be much more cautious with them

By allowing it and pressing on with their green list, they've essentially picked international travel over full domestic opening- i think that's the trade off 

Two weeks now was so annoying. Was hoping I might get my ticket back to the final of the Euros, but this is making me feel less optimistic. Does seem a bit stupid being that there were 0 transmissions from any of the sporting test events.

51 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Yep this worries me a lot too. Described as 'much' more transmissable than even the Indian variant. 

Not just Vietnam either apparently. Just chatting to my mate in Sina who is currently halfway through a one month lockdown:

'Malaysia has just entered another hard lockdown, Cambodia and Laos also in a lot of trouble ☹️'

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Not just Vietnam either apparently. Just chatting to my mate in Sina who is currently halfway through a one month lockdown:

'Malaysia has just entered another hard lockdown, Cambodia and Laos also in a lot of trouble ☹️'

probably a lot of those countries waiting for vaccines from covax.

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think if they did it would depend on whether they set the date or not. If they said 'we're gonna leave it another 2 weeks and then we'll definitely drop everything then' then most would be more willing to take the risk. If they turn and say 'it will be a minimum of 2 weeks but maybe longer' then I think they'd be less likely to but knowing Boris and Co I imagine it'll be the former 

They could say when 70% of all adults have had 2nd dose or something...isn't that what Israel did?  So, not a specific date, but an actual vaccine milestone. I guess should maybe wait a few weeks after that 70% has been hit for immunity to kick in....but that may be too long a wait for many people. I don't know...when are we expected to hit 70% 2nd doses...they're really going for it at moment, Twickenham etc.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The friend I met for a few drinkypoos in some dodgy speakeasy in London the other day works as one of those overpaid management consultants you hear about, and for last 6 month he's been working in a team managing the whole vaccine rollout in England. He said it has been mega mad and he's been working 60-80 hour weeks, I thanked him on your behalf.

I bet he needed that drink!

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They could say when 70% of all adults have had 2nd dose or something...isn't that what Israel did?  So, not a specific date, but an actual vaccine milestone. I guess should maybe wait a few weeks after that 70% has been hit for immunity to kick in....but that may be too long a wait for many people. I don't know...when are we expected to hit 70% 2nd doses...they're really going for it at moment, Twickenham etc.

It's got to be say as many over 40s second dosed as youre going to get - those of us under that age (and that's being pretty generous with the numbers) are not at that much risk and after one dose most definitely aren't.  Waiting for every adult is just destroying businesses to save a handful of lives surely? That's restrictions til this time next year realistically with winter respiratory season

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

It's got to be say as many over 40s second dosed as youre going to get - those of us under that age (and that's being pretty generous with the numbers) are not at that much risk and after one dose most definitely aren't.  Waiting for every adult is just destroying businesses to save a handful of lives surely?

Yup. Which is why I hope the Govt sticks with June 21st as promised. The damage to the economy from 'just in case' will be too high

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's got to be say as many over 40s second dosed as youre going to get - those of us under that age (and that's being pretty generous with the numbers) are not at that much risk and after one dose most definitely aren't.  Waiting for every adult is just destroying businesses to save a handful of lives surely?

yeah, maybe... I don't know...they talk about long covid but I have no idea on the stats on that...just going off what Israel did. They could say over a certain percentage for over 40s...that would mean maybe another 2 to 4 week delay.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, maybe... I don't know...they talk about long covid but I have no idea on the stats on that...just going off what Israel did. They could say over a certain percentage for over 40s...that would mean maybe another 2 to 4 week delay.

My concern if we go down the road of every adult to save a small % of younger people from long covid or hospitalisation, what precedent does that set for flu season? How is it acceptable to have any restrictions for such a small number of society then opening up when we then enter a time when tens of thousands are going to die from something we've shown we can prevent with measures?Hypothetically why is someone dying from the flu any less valuable than someone dying from covid. I feel like we're close to that level by delaying 21st June because certain people haven't had a second dose to be honest. Our level of risk as a country has completely gone to shit and I really fear for the winter because of that. 

At the moment all reports I'm seeing have doctors that seem to be wanting a delay just "because its the Indian variant", not because the data shows that we need to. Even if the data still looks good on 14th June, they seem to be pushing for delay anyway. 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1