When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

ok so a bit of a review into my social distant gig last night in Bristol ..... It felt a little odd being out and about Tbh .... we caught  the train up to Bristol ...Micheal Eavis engine unbelievably and the train was very empty and face mask compliance near enough 100% .... then we went to a wetherspoons on the waterfront ( unfortunately not my choice  ) which was packed and we were told had 2 hour queues to get in .... turned out to be 10mins ... but when we went inside to use the facilities seemed absolutely dead compared to the packed bars of the old days ... app and table service was great and good compliance with rules although the queue was pretty chaotic ..... off to social distance gig .... October Drift on Thekla  a boat .... stunning performance as ever sound was amazing .. I think about 60 people watching ... pretty good compliance one group of 4 were up dancing when im not sure it was allowed but hey thats not so bad and it was great to see the enjoyment ..... back to Taunton 10pm train ... the face mask compliance had dropped off a cliff and was around 50% and the service much busier lots of groups had clearly been drinking like us 🙂  .... we were told by a guard that it had been the busiest bank holiday for 2 years .  Back to Taunton and a visit to one of the bars frequented by a mostly younger clientele .... no effort being made to stop a very large group of around 30 people getting together  as chairs and tables seemed like they had been shifted an issue for the bar that may be removed in a few weeks .

Night out was amazing and really good to be sat enjoying live music once more , it did seem a bit weird at times and once when someone offered a handshake I didnt quite know what to do 😉 great to also have the face masks off , although my friend was a bit nervous removing his at times ... id done a lateral flow test before we went for some extra reassurance the alcohol kicking in also helped with some of the nerves ..... looking about I can definately see why cases will be rising now based on that trip but hopefully they wont get to the stage where it causes any issues 

Have a great bank holiday weekend everyone 

IMG_0337.jpeg

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so a bit of a review into my social distant gig last night in Bristol ..... It felt a little odd being out and about Tbh .... we caught  the train up to Bristol ...Micheal Eavis engine unbelievably and the train was very empty and face mask compliance near enough 100% .... then we went to a wetherspoons on the waterfront ( unfortunately not my choice  ) which was packed and we were told had 2 hour queues to get in .... turned out to be 10mins ... but when we went inside to use the facilities seemed absolutely dead compared to the packed bars of the old days ... app and table service was great and good compliance with rules although the queue was pretty chaotic ..... off to social distance gig .... October Drift on Thekla  a boat .... stunning performance as ever sound was amazing .. I think about 60 people watching ... pretty good compliance one group of 4 were up dancing when im not sure it was allowed but hey thats not so bad and it was great to see the enjoyment ..... back to Taunton 10pm train ... the face mask compliance had dropped off a cliff and was around 50% and the service much busier lots of groups had clearly been drinking like us 🙂  .... we were told by a guard that it had been the busiest bank holiday for 2 years .  Back to Taunton and a visit to one of the bars frequented by a mostly younger clientele .... no effort being made to stop a very large group of around 30 people getting together  as chairs and tables seemed like they had been shifted an issue for the bar that may be removed in a few weeks .

Night out was amazing and really good to be sat enjoying live music once more , it did seem a bit weird at times and once when someone offered a handshake I didnt quite know what to do 😉 great to also have the face masks off , although my friend was a bit nervous removing his at times ... id done a lateral flow test before we went for some extra reassurance the alcohol kicking in also helped with some of the nerves ..... looking about I can definately see why cases will be rising now based on that trip but hopefully they wont get to the stage where it causes any issues 

Have a great bank holiday weekend everyone 

IMG_0337.jpeg

Sounds like a great night. Definitely jealous of the gig on a boat, I'd go to one of those in normal times, sounds so unique! 

Had a pretty normal feeling day in Liverpool on friday, even managed to sit outside somewhere spontaneously in between the two places we'd booked 

But it's not sustainable - I'm lucky enough I can take a Friday off from freelancing to avoid it, but there's no room for spontaneity at a weekend or an evening. That's what I'm looking forward to alongside events. Realistically that's a while off

I didn't feel nervous at all, though i did forget to take a test before which I need to get into the habit of - I have no worries catching but don't want to do any spreading 

22 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Sounds like a great night. Definitely jealous of the gig on a boat, I'd go to one of those in normal times, sounds so unique! 

Had a pretty normal feeling day in Liverpool on friday, even managed to sit outside somewhere spontaneously in between the two places we'd booked 

But it's not sustainable - I'm lucky enough I can take a Friday off from freelancing to avoid it, but there's no room for spontaneity at a weekend or an evening. That's what I'm looking forward to alongside events. Realistically that's a while off

I didn't feel nervous at all, though i did forget to take a test before which I need to get into the habit of - I have no worries catching but don't want to do any spreading 

yeah thats the thing ... these gigs and pubs are ok but completely unsustainable and take out the element of spontaneous stuff which give them that bit extra ... although I quite like the non scrum bit of getting a drink without being mates with the bar person .... The boat is amazing and superb when its a packed venue ....I thing we might have stayed later in Bristol if there was an opportunity to dance somewhere too ... that is one of the things im looking forward to the return of most 🙂 

38 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

hopefully cases have maxed out maybe some bank holiday reporting in there 

So many concentrated on a couple of areas. What's the solution to this? 21st June seems in doubt because of a mix of NHS backlog and a few northern areas...the same ones that got themselves in local restrictions last summer for whatever reason when the rest of us were fine

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

So many concentrated on a couple of areas. What's the solution to this? 21st June seems in doubt because of a mix of NHS backlog and a few northern areas...

ive just looked and my area is 5th from bottom or top with 3 cases  per 100,000 so very good here 

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

20210530_221204.jpg

Insane. Even i think that's the wrong decision and I'm morally against them 😂

Surely there's either going to be limits on capacities over the summer then, or maybe asking for such proof? (Or events get canned completely for a while)

No chance events can or should happen this summer without some kind of covid proof - I think tests over vaccine proof (perhaps both?)

I'd still go to them though obviously...

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Insane. Even i think that's the wrong decision and I'm morally against them 😂

Surely there's either going to be limits on capacities over the summer then, or maybe insurance will be dependent on using them? 

No chance events can or should happen this summer without some kind of covid proof - I think tests over vaccine proof (perhaps both?)

I'd still go to them though obviously...

Maybe a request for LFT before events 

Just now, zahidf said:

Maybe a request for LFT before events 

Yeah - with the potential for some vaccine escape on the symptomatic infections it makes it more of a testing requirement, and does really kill off the vaccine proof side of things. Still feel there must be a sting in the tail of that though, it can't be that easy to get events back surely? 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I disagree...

I am not morally opposed to them but its becoming more and more clear they are pointless.

The vaccines are very effective - beyond our wildest hopes.  

I think if June 21st does not happen then it will be delayed 2 to 4 weeks just cover off the double jabs in their 50s.  Its becoming clear that is the aiming point.  Festivals might not happen because its gets too late for them for financial reason but I very much doubt it will be down to restrictions by the time we hit August.

I don't think we will be asking for tests or passports.

I really hope you're right (though September festivals are completely fine if that timeline you mention happens) 

I just find the idea that from August full capacity events could happen without caveats..unbelievable? Too good to be true? I don't know the word really! 

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

yeah thats the thing ... these gigs and pubs are ok but completely unsustainable and take out the element of spontaneous stuff which give them that bit extra ... although I quite like the non scrum bit of getting a drink without being mates with the bar person .... The boat is amazing and superb when its a packed venue ....I thing we might have stayed later in Bristol if there was an opportunity to dance somewhere too ... that is one of the things im looking forward to the return of most 🙂 

It'll be interesting to see how we've done since reopening. The accommodation side should be OK, despite the extra staff needed for extra cleaning and stuff, but the bar will be a horror show I expect. It's as busy as it can be but that's reduced numbers like everywhere, and more staff needed to provide table service is going to eat up a lot of the profit. Being a hostel we are very much priced towards the budget end where there's not a lot of room for manoeuvre 

I was down in sunny Weymouth yesterday and it felt normal. Pubs rammed, beach rammed and a lot of happy people enjoying themselves.

I just don’t think the majority of people are worried about the virus anymore. I struggle to see how this increased confidence for want of a better phrase will be stopped? It’ll be a backlash if June 21st is delayed.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I was down in sunny Weymouth yesterday and it felt normal. Pubs rammed, beach rammed and a lot of happy people enjoying themselves.

I just don’t think the majority of people are worried about the virus anymore. I struggle to see how this increased confidence for want of a better phrase will be stopped? It’ll be a backlash if June 21st is delayed.

By the hospitals filling up. As you say, everything feels back to normal already, is there really a big clamour for any specific freedoms in the last stage?