When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

This really is great isn’t it? I feel like it’s kind of been getting lost in the whole variant saga - but this really is fantastic news. All whilst restrictions are in the process of being lifted too, so the figures are not artificially hiding behind lockdowns anymore either. 

14 minutes ago, st dan said:

This really is great isn’t it? I feel like it’s kind of been getting lost in the whole variant saga - but this really is fantastic news. All whilst restrictions are in the process of being lifted too, so the figures are not artificially hiding behind lockdowns anymore either. 

It definitely feels like a corner has been turned, especially when you consider cases have been stable for the last month or so. And when you think the stats are this good, wait until we get everyone else done over the next few weeks 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Was nearly impossible to even order a meal in certain parts of Spain, their grasp of English is very poor.

The solution of putting the pictures with numbers on have the opposite effect of putting people off when they show how poor quality the food actually is 😂

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Is anyone else getting frustrated with the reporting on the reduced efficacy of one dose of the vaccines against the Indian variant? The reduction in the PHE report is in preventing symptomatic infection - that has never been the overriding goal of the vaccines, which is instead the reduction of severe infection (hospitalisation) and death, which likely will still be strong enough to reopen on 21 June. 

It's the easiest data to gather. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

What have events got to do with whether contacts need to self-isolate or not? 

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Risk ? 

If you attend a big concert and someone test positives...  Do all 20,000 people need to go into hiding for 10 days ?

Yep exactly what I was getting at- a positive test after an event, with nothing to say whether the person was infectious at the time, would cause some problems

That's where the vaccine passport falls down - if that rule is in place, those who go in on vaccine proof alone and then, say, test positive through routine work tests, what happens then? Small chance but still not a zero chance 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

But at a standing gig everyone is a potential close contact

Similarly if you go on the tube in the morning.

Test & Trace isn't supposed to catch every single case, just to help reduce transmission. The contact tracing app can do some of the heavy lifting but I don't think large events are incompatible with the existence of T&T.

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's the easiest data to gather. 

Is it? Surely the number of vaccinated people (or lack of) requiring hospital treatment is actually a lot easier to gather given there will be fewer people?

I had to self-isolate before and they call you up after your period is over to find out if you fully complied. At one point data was showing that well over 2/3 of people were not self-isolating properly.

I’d be interested if that means that most went to work and attended gatherings or they just went for a socially distanced walk outside. I definitely did the latter. 

I'm sure they'll be some very in-depth studies over the years about self isolation and the various rules we've had over the pandemic, it'll be really interesting too see the level that people stuck to them and that will also maybe go into any future pandemic planning as well.

19 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Is it? Surely the number of vaccinated people (or lack of) requiring hospital treatment is actually a lot easier to gather given there will be fewer people?

Sorry for the terse reply. Let me have another go.

It's the least lagging indicator, so is easy to report on. And because there are more people, it's a "more detailed" data point.

Given that the relationship between hospitalisations and infection has massively changed, it's nowhere near as useful as it used to be, but still gets headlines.

And to be fair, it's proving to have been a leading indicator in Bolton, as hospitalisations are now rising fairly briskly.