When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You need to go and take your head for a shit with a comment like that.  Clearly no connection or intention was implied. 

It’s a poorly timed comment and not something to make a joke around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I didn’t even know about the boy until I just googled it after reading this page. 

People have been using ‘more chance of struck by lightning’ to describe remote chance events since the beginning of people and lightning! 

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

So a close friend of Mrs Padgey said yesterday her and her fella are not having the jab, her reasoning was that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccination, how it could potentially cause cancer in the future and she wants to be around for her 2 kids.  I decided to bite my lip as it's their choice but now just don't feel very comfortable with the situation, we are supposed to be meeting up with them next Saturday. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with close friends?

I would just avoid the subject or if it comes up agree to disagree. No point arguing over it as could ruin your friendship. There will always be some who don't want to take the vaccine, but it is actually a small problem in this country.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I didn’t even know about the boy until I just googled it after reading this page. 

People have been using ‘more chance of struck by lightning’ to describe remote chance events since the beginning of people and lightning! 

People love a bit of virtue signalling these days though. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I would just avoid the subject or if it comes up agree to disagree. No point arguing over it as could ruin your friendship. There will always be some who don't want to take the vaccine, but it is actually a small problem in this country.

The pandemic has made me reevaluate a couple of friendships already.  One who turned into a massive conspiracy theory nut job and the other who refused to wear a mask on principle when popping into Tesco.   Turns out they aren’t my kind of people. Life goes on. 

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

So a close friend of Mrs Padgey said yesterday her and her fella are not having the jab, her reasoning was that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccination, how it could potentially cause cancer in the future and she wants to be around for her 2 kids.  I decided to bite my lip as it's their choice but now just don't feel very comfortable with the situation, we are supposed to be meeting up with them next Saturday. 

Yeah and I 100% respect his decision and won't even think twice about spending time around him. I would do so now, before my own vaccination and would continue to do so after. Because I respect other people's decisions and rights to do as they choose. 

The division propaganda is clearly working. Not the sort of society I want any part of, which is why I have my stance on vaccine passports. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

Article in Austrian paper "Kurier" a hour ago hopefully with good news:

The WHO classifies B.1.617, the Indian variant, as "worrying" because it could be more contagious and also less sensitive to antibodies. According to a current US study, the corona vaccines from Pfizer / Biontech and Moderna are also highly effective against the two Indian virus variants B.1.617 and B.1.618.

"We found that the vaccine's antibodies were a little weaker against the variants, but not so much that we believe it would have a major impact on the vaccine's ability to protect," study author Nathaniel Landau told the AFP news agency.

The NYU Grossman School of Medicine and NYU Langone Center study has not yet been peer-reviewed.

British newspaper front page headline for that would be "Indian variant evades vaccines" with a tiny tiny box at the side explaining that it's only a little bit but nothing to worry about, with most of the context on page 2 😂

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Looks like the hated one was right then. I'm not sure how we get through 5 weeks without reversing the indoor opening never mind opening further on 21st June 😔 (if its more transmissible) 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I do think these sort of graphs should be viewed with total case numbers in mind.

When considering the fact there were 1,645 cases reported in total across England yesterday I can't help but feel these graphs although obviously useful look much worse than they actually are in relative terms.

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yes I just said that.... are always this purposefully obtuse? By your reputations I guess you are.  

If you held off for just a second you may realise our posts were at the same time so wouldn't have seen it before hand.

You've actually kinda got annoyed at your own comment there, adjusting it and hitting out instead in defense.

There really is no need. I'm not the one being obtuse here.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

Why wouldn't you meet them?

Either you're vaccinated and hence not at risk, or you haven't been offered one yet and also hence not at risk.

34 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Christ he said he didn't realise about the unfortunate story, clearly the guy wasn't saying the lightning comment in reference to that- it is a well known turn of phrase fs.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

They aren't "his" kids though...  That sort of thinking is really wrong in my opinion.  A parent is nothing more than the current legal guardian.   The concept of ownership is toxic and utterly wrong.

I'll agree on that, the confusion over it being kids of whom he knows so fair enough. But my answer there is still the same.

Choosing to keep your child safe is not a case of ownership! It's a choice that parent in this situation is utterly entitled to make. 

There is a difference by not wanting your child who is at 'low risk' surrounded by it. And they are 18 now, if they want to party in town we can't stop them.

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Looks like the hated one was right then. I'm not sure how we get through 5 weeks without reversing the indoor opening never mind opening further on 21st June 😔 (if its more transmissible) 

as Joey says, these numbers are still low at moment...just have to be patient, be careful, keep jabbing, and see where we are in a couple of weeks when they review.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

as Joey says, these numbers are still low at moment...just have to be patient, be careful, keep jabbing, and see where we are in a couple of weeks when they review.

If we're still hovering around the 2k mark next week I think many of us will feel much happier.

Today's case numbers will be particularly interesting and *could* give the first indication of a hefty rise partly due to the weekend lag however due to this it's possibly worth looking towards the tail end of this week for upwards trends.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If we're still hovering around the 2k mark next week I think many of us will feel much happier.

Today's case numbers will be particularly interesting and *could* give the first indication of a hefty rise partly due to the weekend lag however due to this it's possibly worth looking towards the tail end of this week for upwards trends.

Surge testing too - I imagine you'd find more if you surge tested at any given time in any location so its more the weekend and into next week for me when we're comparing two surge testing weeks 

26 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I do think these sort of graphs should be viewed with total case numbers in mind.

When considering the fact there were 1,645 cases reported in total across England yesterday I can't help but feel these graphs although obviously useful look much worse than they actually are in relative terms.

Exactly, it wasn’t that long ago that some regions had  approx. 1000 cases on their own.

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm going to be focussing on whether Bolton continues to flatten over the next few days.  Given the concern over the variant, I think it's a mistake to be looking at the country as a whole where there really isn't much of a problem.  It's a bit like looking at the doubling last August and dismissing it because absolute numbers are small.  Exponential growth has a way of not caring about absolute numbers - if there's doubling, then tiny can turn into massive quite suddenly.

But Bolton is showing hints of not growing exponentially over the last couple of days, keep that up and we should be in a great position - and then it makes sense to return to look at the national figures.

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Has it ever been explained why Wales are doing a fair bit better than NI, ENG & SCO?

England and Scotland kept a substantial portion back for second doses just in case of an unexpected supply problem. Wales had a less prudent approach and assumed no supply issue would arise so they fired literally every dose into arms ASAP. Their gamble seems to have paid off as supply has been very good. 

• Upvote 1