When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve heard similar to @Homer maybe @Toilet Duck might be able to enlighten us to any truth in this or is it Annecdotal? 

There’s nothing definitive yet unfortunately, but it’s one train of thought. All of the adverse effects (apart from the rare clotting events) are entirely in line with what was seen in the trials though, broad range but hardly any requiring actual medical intervention. Almost there!! 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I had my 2nd Pfizer jab yesterday & I feel fine apart from a sore arm. After the first jab I had an horrendous headache, like the worst hangover ever.

I think all this proves is that the side effects are completely unpredictable! 🙂

Ha yes that ruins my theory!

Wonder if they do find a link between previously having Covid and a worse reactions to the vaccine, if they would keep it under the radar to not put people off from having it - particularly as we move to the younger age groups.  

6 minutes ago, st dan said:

Wonder if they do find a link between previously having Covid and a worse reactions to the vaccine, if they would keep it under the radar to not put people off from having it - particularly as we move to the younger age groups.  

They could go for the approach being used here, where if you get 1 dose of any vaccine you will be considered fully vaccinated if you have had lab-confirmed infection in the last 6 months. Good incentive to get it over and done with quickly. 

The link between prior infection and severity of AEs is a difficult one to untangle without setting up a specific study to do it (as asymptomatic prior infections would skew any signal in the “uninfected” group). Even serology tests might not be that useful as the antibodies may have waned, but the immune memory is still there, so would really need b and T cell sub typing prior to vaccination to get a really accurate picture. Since the vast majority of reactions don’t require any intervention, it’s unlikely a study to do this would get approved as its not going to change clinical practice in any way. It’d be nice to know, but not really essential. So, I don’t know if anyone is going to be able to give a definitive answer on this, maybe incentivising those who know they previously had it with a shorter vaccination course is the answer. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

They could go for the approach being used here, where if you get 1 dose of any vaccine you will be considered fully vaccinated if you have had lab-confirmed infection in the last 6 months. Good incentive to get it over and done with quickly. 

Oh I didn’t know that was even a thing! As somebody who would be in that boat, I’d certainly like us to adopt that approach. 

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

This would be good news ….

Given the vaccines don't actually stop infection or transmission to the best of our knowledge, I don't see how it's plausible anywhere will be 'Covid free' while adopting normal standards of travel (for example), for a long time beyond the summer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Given the vaccines don't actually stop infection or transmission to the best of our knowledge, I don't see how it's plausible anywhere will be 'Covid free' while adopting normal standards of travel (for example), for a long time beyond the summer.

I guess the headline states covid free ... which would be different to covid not  circulating which the article talks about lower down 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

While that's an interesting approach in terms of "making it easy" to encourage takeup - isn't there a danger in that another country could decide that your threshold is not sufficient and so it just causes more problems down the line.

For example it's likely that at some point in the second half of the year the USA opens up to vaccinated visitors - it's quite possible that they decide all visitors must have a full course of a vaccine approved by the FDA. I'm in the process of planning a pre-Christmas trip and am already worrying that they won't accept my AZ jabs as sufficient, I think I'd be feeling much the same if I was on Pfizer but without the option to get a second dose.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

While that's an interesting approach in terms of "making it easy" to encourage takeup - isn't there a danger in that another country could decide that your threshold is not sufficient and so it just causes more problems down the line.

For example it's likely that at some point in the second half of the year the USA opens up to vaccinated visitors - it's quite possible that they decide all visitors must have a full course of a vaccine approved by the FDA. I'm in the process of planning a pre-Christmas trip and am already worrying that they won't accept my AZ jabs as sufficient, I think I'd be feeling much the same if I was on Pfizer but without the option to get a second dose.

As far as I know, it will simply say fully vaccinated on the EU digital passport, so shouldn’t be an issue. I too have to go to the US in December and bloody hope they accept our vaccine certs! (Don’t know what one I’ll get yet, could have taken AZ a while back when my lab was being done, but I can work from home, so I’ll wait til I get it normally, but it could be any of them)...

6 hours ago, Homer said:

My mate told me recently that he had the same, and his wife (who is a nurse) told him that if you have side effects after the jab, it's more likely that you've had covid previously (so that would make sense).

Not heard that before, but if true it adds to my theory that I had it just over a year ago (no tests available then of course) 

40 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That's definitely not what the last PHE study says. It does stop infection and transmission to some degree

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That's definitely not what the last PHE study says. It does stop infection and transmission to some degree

The latest PHE study refers to “increasing evidence” but that’s far from conclusive. I was using current WHO information which says the impact is basically unknown on these areas. 

10 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The latest PHE study refers to “increasing evidence” but that’s far from conclusive. I was using current WHO information which says the impact is basically unknown on these areas. 

Yeah but thats different to saying it doesn't stop infection or transmission.