When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't believe it is beyond 5...

The primary aim is to stop the spread.  Not only are children ages 6 to 12 direct connections to grand parents- they are also direct connections to babies and younger children (siblings - friends etc).

They took the decision to start mass giving it to kids for this reason.  Kids over 5 are at no more risk from flu as anyone else unless they have health conditions.

And for all the talk that COVID isn't the FLU - it very much behaves like it and we will control it in very much the same way as time goes by.  I can't believe for a second the vaccinating children won't play a major role in that.

Fair play, you're probably right about the primary medical reason for the over fives. I take it back. However, given that I didn't realise that, will you concede it's a harder sell since everyone "knows" COVID doesn't hurt kids?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

25 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

And of course he will have the same opinion of you (at least on this subject), this is the problem, this is so divisive even if we get through this with no vaccine passport and life returns to normal there will still be resentment towards the non-vaccinated as they will be seen to have got the benefit of the vaccine without taking their share of the "risk". The only solution I can see to this is if those that refuse the vaccine are able to contribute in some other way, say pay a bit more tax to boost the NHS or something otherwise you get a situation similar to the conscientious objectors during the war where the majority treated them as cowards.

Sorry, but this take fundamentally misunderstands and/or misrepresents what my, and I believe many others', issues with antivaxxers are about

Just now, Barry Fish said:

On vaccine delivery - I think it was the main guy at Oxford (or some other expert) was explaining that the technology to turn the Covid vaccine into a nasal spray isn't all that challenging - just a bit of R&D / effort required.  He was even saying that he foresees use having a combined Flu and Covid vaccine in the future for obvious reasons.  That would go a very long way to solving the children question.

I hope you're right. Since I'm for it, maybe others will be too.

9 minutes ago, waltere said:

Sorry, but this take fundamentally misunderstands and/or misrepresents what my, and I believe many others', issues with antivaxxers are about

Well you would have to start by defining anti-vaxxers, if you mean people who are vocal about he "dangers" of vaccines then you can certainly object because they are undermining the vaccine effort and potentially putting other people at risk, on the other hand there are people who don't try to persuade others but decide for their own reasons not to take the jab, they may not be anti-vax in general just unsatisfied with this one. (speed of development, new technology, lack of long term data etc.) they have a right to make that choice for themselves even if you think it the wrong one.

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

Press conference with Whitty and Vallance? I thought it might have been one of the desk-thumping addresses to the nation tonight.

I imagine he’ll have Whitty and Vallance there, they’ll probably want to be able to answer questions about the roadmap. 

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Well you would have to start by defining anti-vaxxers, if you mean people who are vocal about he "dangers" of vaccines then you can certainly object because they are undermining the vaccine effort and potentially putting other people at risk, on the other hand there are people who don't try to persuade others but decide for their own reasons not to take the jab, they may not be anti-vax in general just unsatisfied with this one. (speed of development, new technology, lack of long term data etc.) they have a right to make that choice for themselves even if you think it the wrong one.

"I'm not undermining the vaccine effort putting lives at risk by being vocal about the dangers of the vaccine I'm just here on this public forum being very vocal about my personal and private decision to be concerned about the dangers of this vaccine."

23 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I imagine he’ll have Whitty and Vallance there, they’ll probably want to be able to answer questions about the roadmap. 

I wonder if it'll be just Johnson, avoid Whitty getting asked some tricky questions about all school years going back on 8th....and maybe Johnson will want to make it look like it is his government making this decision, not scientists...

or maybe he will have Whitty and Vallance and their graphs.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder if it'll be just Johnson, avoid Whitty getting asked some tricky questions about all school years going back on 8th....and maybe Johnson will want to make it look like it is his government making this decision, not scientists...

or maybe he will have Whitty and Vallance and their graphs.

It could be, he should have his advisors with him to answer any questions that might come up.

38 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Zahawi on the news now.

Schools open and social meets outside with one other person from 8 March, rule of six or two families meeting outdoors and sports (outdoors including teams) from 29 March. It will be National so he hinted you will be able to travel to see people. 

This is the key for me as we have to travel to see anyone. 

I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about this plan tbh. Don't know if it's the change in the weather or what, but the prospect of seeing people for the first time since early December (which we did just once and before that early October) is quite uplifting to me. We did a pub lunch outside in December so I reckon I can hack late March.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl