When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Climate change and consumption is at the heart of this, it's been made clear we are not returning to life as it was, the sooner people realise that the better, then they can accept it or try to do something to oppose the changes. I suspect this time next year we'll not be discussing whether Glasto 2022 is going ahead but whether Glasto will return at all, at least in the way we knew it. If we are to move to a new "green" economy how can we justify spending weeks and countless resources building a "city" only to tear it down after 5 days, (to say nothing of the fuel expended transporting people from around the world). This thread is going to 5000+ pages, you ain't seen nothing yet!

You think there won't be a Glastonbury in 2022 because of the climate crisis? Tenner you're wrong?

More widely on my point from the last page, especially as @efcfanwirral basically posted about the opposite personal circumstances to mine whilst I was posting, I was more attempting to make a wider point about how when some people talk about restrictions still being in place, and others counter it by talking of a return to normal, that these mean different things to different people (one person's 'back to normal' may still see a lot of restrictions in place that strongly affect others) and that having a conversation in such broad strokes is a little useless without further defining ones terms.

Sorry for the mega run-on sentence 😄

I don’t think we are going to be acting in harsh terms on climate change next year ... even though it will become more of an issue as time goes on ... so no chance next years Glastonbury is under threat because of it ... but yes we will make and need to make changes to the way we live but that ain’t happening in the next 500 days ... 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You think there won't be a Glastonbury in 2022 because of the climate crisis? Tenner you're wrong?

I'll be surprised if it returns next year, the climate crisis is the bogeyman that justifies all policies but i suspect there will be another crisis to come this year to perpetuate lockdowns etc.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No. If cases are going to be high, then we still need to vaccinate everyone, because when you ramp the numbers up, "the vulnerable" becomes a much larger part of the population.

This doesn't really change anything. Stay locked down until cases, hospitalisations and deaths fall enough, gradually ease lockdown whilst reacting quickly to upticks in cases and vaccinate as many people as possible as fast as possible in order of their risk.

That's the plan and very little changes that. Certainly nothing that's been in the news the last couple of months.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for steering me through the brainfog (unofficial upvote).

43 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Even if the pandemic is raging on? You do realise the vaccines aren’t a cure?

I do but the level of protection from severe disease should drastically reduce deaths. I'm not for living under this shit when the hospitals are empty

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

I don’t think it’s happy clapper/hopium addict behaviour to think we are on the way out the other side to be honest. Pretty much everyone in my Medical  School is of the same opinion (and some of them sit on our version of SAGE). It’s right we keep an eye on variants and update vaccines accordingly, but it’s not unmanageable. In fact, what we are now facing into was pretty much what we were hoping for before any of the vaccines were even approved (protection from severe disease, hospitalisation and death). Eradication through sterilising immunity via vaccination was always a long shot. It’s here to stay, but we won’t be shutting the world down to prevent mild to moderate disease (unless even mild disease in vaccinated individuals leads to massive amounts of “long Covid”, but there’s no descriptions of it at all in folk who tested positive on any of the trials, and some of them caught the virus back in the summer...it may come, but if it was a strong signal, I’d expect some reports of it by now). I know it doesn’t feel like it sometimes, but this will end!

Here's to better days ahead 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

I do but the level of protection from severe disease should drastically reduce deaths. I'm not for living under this shit when the hospitals are empty

Yup. If the disease isn’t killing people and the hospitals are at normal levels, we aren’t in lockdown. No chance. There will be mass riots at Westminster. 

Reading the stories today, to my mind it just reenforces that we will have yearly booster shots tweaked against new variants for the foreseeable future. If, which seems likely, the vaccine still protects against death and most severe illness, then it’s as you were. Positive signs yet again in the recent UK numbers so we can still be positive and the light remains at the end of the tunnel. Despite what clickbait websites would tell you.

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Note, that's my opinion on what the plan should be. Government has not always followed Stuartbert Two Hats' opinion, like the catastrophic easing of lockdown in December.

Was your objections noted in the SAGE minutes?

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You guys realise there’s 25,000 fans going to the actual superbowl and apparently the clubs and bars in downtown Tampa have been packed all week?

This is just. Wow. Do they look at countries across the pond right now and think we're the crazy ones for locking down again?

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I don’t think we are going to be acting in harsh terms on climate change next year ... even though it will become more of an issue as time goes on ... so no chance next years Glastonbury is under threat because of it ... but yes we will make and need to make changes to the way we live but that ain’t happening in the next 500 days ... 

147509621_263397245154638_11564960223320

Even the Express is think it's an issue these days.

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's Florida, I think they are more an outlier than anything else.

My dads friend lives in America and is one of the most sensible people I know and even they are having a Superbowl party, its inevitable people will do it regardless of the rules when it gets 100 million+ viewers every year