When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 2/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, Rex2 said:

If restrictions continue to be in place once everyone has been offered a vaccine I'll be more inclined to believe lunatics who said that the whole thing is a nefarious scheme to increase government control over the population

Even if the pandemic is raging on? You do realise the vaccines aren’t a cure?

55 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Doom on this thread today has been unbelievable. It appears some people are very happy for others’ lives to be changed and not back to ‘normal’ indefinitely. The news about the SA variant isn’t perfect but it is overlooking the absolute key aim of the vaccine response - reducing severe cases/hospitalisations/death, which it appears it still does (notwithstanding the fact Oxford also said that a vaccine targeting this variant will be available in autumn). If anyone thinks we will be in lockdown once everyone has been vaccinated to protect against moderate illness (however that was defined in this study!) is mad. 

Really not a fan of this argument  - nobody WANTS that. I'm just trying to get my head around all the things I used to enjoy disappearing. Lived for music and travel (shallow life I know. 

I'm envious of people who will be happy with just seeing friends or going to a pub. 

21 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

None of that now, the guys clearly having a down few moments and I suspect comments like that don't really help. We've all had them, lets try and support one another.

I get where you're coming from but realism doesn't always mean somebody is struggling (not in my case anyway, though I know it wasn't aimed directly at me!). My beliefs are not a mental health problem. 

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up climate change as there's no point trying to talk about it in a public setting like this and it's a separate issue that is too big to get into in short forum comments (and I am far from advocating communism- I am completely behind freedom even if it does destroy the planet). 

Happy to tone down my views on all this though as it could affect other people's mental health. 

Anyway... right doom and gloom thread today... but we're rolling towards 2500 pages.. guesses when we hit 3000?

Am going for Valentines Day when we all declare love for each other as Bojo has hit his 15m target, the SA variant dies off and we hear news of self mutatating vaccines that do all the hard work for us! 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Happy to tone down my views on all this though as it could affect other people's mental health. 

nah...keep it coming.

But your interpretation of realism is not the same as others...in the end none of us actually know where we're going with this...but this isn't the first pandemic, and it won't be the last....

1 hour ago, MrBarry465 said:

100% mate, I've been saying this since the pandemic started. People are desparetley clammering to return to 'the old normal' but at the end of the day, we need to be making significant adjustments to our lives to combat the really critical problem this species is facing. 

I think there's slight crossed wires happening here when people talk about returning to 'normality'. I'm perfectly willing to deal with international travel being something which is much harder and less prevalent, especially since there are, as you point out reasons way beyond covid for this. When I talk about a 'return to normality' I mean that I'd quite like to be able to go to the pub and then drunkenly end up at my mates house, you know.

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Anyway... right doom and gloom thread today... but we're rolling towards 2500 pages.. guesses when we hit 3000?

Am going for Valentines Day when we all declare love for each other as Bojo has hit his 15m target, the SA variant dies off and we hear news of self mutatating vaccines that do all the hard work for us! 

Surely not 500 pages in a week?! 

We as a community of people see this quite regularly a load of good news followed by some not so good which makes things feel worse, although that isn't helped that we are in lockdown again. Look back to December when we had the vaccine rollout followed by the 3rd spike. We are in a much better position to then and the news today doesn't yet mean things won't improve but is hopefully just a blip on the way out of this. 

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The developments are making my head spin.

Intuitively although the problems with the mutations represents very bad news, might in some way it mean we open up sooner?

i.e. now that we can't get to herd immunity, we have to accept that there will be a persistent high level of cases in the community so the focus is entirely on vaccinating the vulnerable and then after that we'll just have to learn to live with it?

This thinking is probably fatally flawed...

No. If cases are going to be high, then we still need to vaccinate everyone, because when you ramp the numbers up, "the vulnerable" becomes a much larger part of the population.

This doesn't really change anything. Stay locked down until cases, hospitalisations and deaths fall enough, gradually ease lockdown whilst reacting quickly to upticks in cases and vaccinate as many people as possible as fast as possible in order of their risk.

That's the plan and very little changes that. Certainly nothing that's been in the news the last couple of months.

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Really not a fan of this argument  - nobody WANTS that. I'm just trying to get my head around all the things I used to enjoy disappearing. Lived for music and travel (shallow life I know. 

I'm envious of people who will be happy with just seeing friends or going to a pub. 

I get where you're coming from but realism doesn't always mean somebody is struggling (not in my case anyway, though I know it wasn't aimed directly at me!). My beliefs are not a mental health problem. 

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up climate change as there's no point trying to talk about it in a public setting like this and it's a separate issue that is too big to get into in short forum comments (and I am far from advocating communism- I am completely behind freedom even if it does destroy the planet). 

Climate change and consumption is at the heart of this, it's been made clear we are not returning to life as it was, the sooner people realise that the better, then they can accept it or try to do something to oppose the changes. I suspect this time next year we'll not be discussing whether Glasto 2022 is going ahead but whether Glasto will return at all, at least in the way we knew it. If we are to move to a new "green" economy how can we justify spending weeks and countless resources building a "city" only to tear it down after 5 days, (to say nothing of the fuel expended transporting people from around the world). This thread is going to 5000+ pages, you ain't seen nothing yet!

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Climate change and consumption is at the heart of this, it's been made clear we are not returning to life as it was, the sooner people realise that the better, then they can accept it or try to do something to oppose the changes. I suspect this time next year we'll not be discussing whether Glasto 2022 is going ahead but whether Glasto will return at all, at least in the way we knew it. If we are to move to a new "green" economy how can we justify spending weeks and countless resources building a "city" only to tear it down after 5 days, (to say nothing of the fuel expended transporting people from around the world). This thread is going to 5000+ pages, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Bang on my man.