When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, jannybruck said:

@Toilet Duckyour responses in here have been the balm I need in amongst the media clickbait shitshow that has been the past year, so helpful and measured. Let me know a charity of your choosing and I'll sacrifice my Sunday takeaway and send them some cash instead.

Upvote too! You don’t have to, but if you do, Teenage Cancer Trust is the UK charity I choose myself! 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Alright eFests hive mind - what do we think the  chances are of a holiday in the Canaries being possible without much in the way of restrictions by October?

My only slight concern with that time would be its after the schools go back and the weather turns, so if anything is going to go wrong to throw us back into some restrictions that could be the time it'll be starting. Basically my thoughts are anything booked should be cancellable and that we can't assume that when things are lifted that they'll stay that way.

39 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Upvote too! You don’t have to, but if you do, Teenage Cancer Trust is the UK charity I choose myself! 

Donated. 

Link if it's of help to others:

https://donate.teenagecancertrust.org/?amount=10&otherselected=false&marketingupdated=false&emailconsent=false&type=single&paymenttype=&category=&inmem=false&smsConsent=false

I selected 'event' and typed eFestivals.

Many thanks again @Toilet Duck.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

3 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

You’ve inspired me to join you! I put eFestivals down too. Little did Neil know that be getting rid of upvotes, we’d start donating to charities to show our appreciation! Looks like a win! 

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

South Africa has suspended use of the AZ vaccine.

Sounds like an all or nothing decision for them- they must have good reason to do that despite that essentially extending their need for lockdowns until the updated version is made 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The only way I can interpret that quote about the role of vaccines is that restrictions/social distancing have to remain 

Post vaccinations? No social contract for that.

Its more that we have calibrate to recognise its endemic and will have to have booster shots

“These findings recalibrate thinking about how to approach the pandemic virus and shift the focus from the goal of herd immunity against transmission to the protection of all at-risk individuals in the population against severe disease,” he said.

Prof Andrew Pollard, chief investigator on the Oxford vaccine trial, emphasised the value of the vaccines in reducing the burden on health systems.

“This study confirms that the pandemic coronavirus will find ways to continue to spread in vaccinated populations, as expected, but, taken with the promising results from other studies in South Africa using a similar viral vector, vaccines may continue to ease the toll on health care systems by preventing severe disease,” he said.

Edited by zahidf

2 hours ago, st dan said:

I find it genuinely staggering that people think it’s something we could, and should be aiming for. 

I find it genuinely staggering that people think we shouldn't aim for it.

What's with this pathetic 'near enough is good enough' attitude? British middle of the roadness at its best. 

3 hours ago, st dan said:

Just read an interesting article that confirmed certain insects can’t become infected with Covid ... some already have anty-bodies. 

Oh to by a fly on the wall in that briefing room.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Alright eFests hive mind - what do we think the  chances are of a holiday in the Canaries being possible without much in the way of restrictions by October?

Tbf I'm still genuinely uncertain if it'll be all good to book a hotel in London for an overnight stay in August. Maybe it will ehdunno.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Tom Friedan is constantly pushing this ‘new normal’ stuff. Not sure why but he is. I think the second post is spot on. As talented and clever as public health experts are, some of them are a bit disconnected. We may one day be thankful they don’t get to make the big decisions.

You joking.....?

Had the government let the public health experts make the fucking decisions when it was needed, we would be nowhere near the shit heap we are in. 

I prefer medical experts and scientists to make decisions where those aspects are in question thanks. This sort of attitude is why we will never properly tackle climate change/biodiversity loss. 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How long has SA variant been here ? At the moment we only have random cases don’t we ? Is it possible that the current restrictions will be enough to contain if ? 

Since December last year, 20,000+ UK travllers have entered the country from South Africa, with no sort of quarantine.

It's utterly ridiculous how it's been handled. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Could be that we have some restrictions in place after vaccinations, potentially if the variants do mutate that way they might have too.

I reckon things will go tits up pretty quickly in the coming days over the South African variant, it's clear that there is a lot of concern around the oxford vaccines effectivness. The fact they are now saying they will have a new version of the vaccine ready to roll out in September says it all. 

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

Since December last year, 20,000+ UK travllers have entered the country from South Africa, with no sort of quarantine.

It's utterly ridiculous how it's been handled. 

I agree ... but so far ... touch wood it doesn’t seem to have a foothold. ? So maybe we have been lucky that it’s come in when we have restrictions in place and that has done enough to prevent community spread ? 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I reckon things will go tits up pretty quickly in the coming days over the South African variant, it's clear that there is a lot of concern around the oxford vaccines effectivness. The fact they are now saying they will have a new version of the vaccine ready to roll out in September says it all. 

Nah I don't think it'll go that bad mate. There might be concern over the AZ vaccine but it'll still be good against serious disease and it'll be enough for some form of normalcy to return again.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Nah I don't think it'll go that bad mate. There might be concern over the AZ vaccine but it'll still be good against serious disease and it'll be enough for some form of normalcy to return again.

We shall see, I'm just not ready to start getting on board with the happy clappers and hopium addicts 😛

Keen to see how things pan out, I maintain that we aren't out of this mess for a while yet. 

Edited by MrBarry465