When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

what about SARS 1 (or whatever it is called)...? Is that still around and has mutated to become less deadly? Or did it die out?

Probably, like MERS in camels, it’s still around in its animal reservoirs. It also had one major biological difference from SARS-CoV-2 and that’s the affinity of the spike for the ACE2 receptor. There’s more of them in the lung, so things with lower affinity work better when there’s more target there for them to latch on to. The higher affinity of the SARS-CoV-2 spike for ACE2 means it is more efficient at binding to the receptors in the upper respiratory tract where they are less abundant. This changes the course of infections (upper respiratory tract infections are generally less serious than lower ones) and also how it is passed on (you usually need to cough to get viruses out of the lungs, hence this new one is easier to transmit).

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Very nice to hear we have a couple of rents getting the jab. Seeing my mum with her vaccine certificate just felt like a huge breath of fresh air!

Great news, glad they have brought in those vaccine certificates 😉

Though I suspect you just mean the anonymous card that came with it.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and what the hec is an animal resevoir?

😂 basically animal hosts that the virus can grow in, but usually doesn’t cause any disease in (it can (and of course animals get all sorts of infections that do them no good), there’s speculation that Russian flu was actually a CoV infection, one of the ones in current circulation, and that it spread from cows as there was a cow pneumonia epidemic in the 10 years prior to Russian flu emerging...it’s hard to prove, but most animal hosts tend to be immune to the disease causing effects of the viruses they host (there’s an estimated 300,000+ viruses in animals with potential to infect humans!)).  This happens with flu all the time (hence swine flu, avian flu etc) and is how they pick up changes that make them a pain in the arse for us.

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typos!

So my sister who works at a Drs surgery in London messaged me on Friday saying if I lived near her she could've arranged for me to have a vaccine that day. It looks like they have days where they have excess amounts of one type of vaccine which I presume goes for many different places across the country. It got me thinking how many that might be?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

So my sister who works at a Drs surgery in London messaged me on Friday saying if I lived near her she could've arranged for me to have a vaccine that day. It looks like they have days where they have excess amounts of one type of vaccine which I presume goes for many different places across the country. It got me thinking how many that might be?

What part of London? If she has any spares going forward, my mum would very much be interested in using any which may go to waste...

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well I thought they'd hit 12 million as the limit by 15th Feb, so they've exceeded my expectations on that!

Good numbers coming in for Scotland now and now the tricky care homes are all but done, it's full steam ahead.

Wouldn't be surprised if their % of population done overtakes the RUK at some point.

Just now, zahidf said:

ah cool. We are south london but willing to travel for a vaccine if possible! thanks, would hate for it to get wasted otherwise. 

If you don't mind me asking how old is your Mum, she might be quite close to getting one?

If I hear anything more from my sister then I'll let you know.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is basically how I got mine on Friday. The clinic that I’ve been seeing for a health issue have a lot of patients that fall into the CEV category (I don’t) so they received a large supply of Pfizer, which had to be used or they’d go off. I got called to come in the next morning because all their staff are done so they’d rather just give it to a non-CEV patient.

My sister in Glasgow works for the local council in the building that just happens to be the local vaccination centre. She’s on a list of people who can come in at short notice and based on recent patterns it’s highly likely she will get jabbed this week. She’s 19 and completely healthy. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is basically how I got mine on Friday. The clinic that I’ve been seeing for a health issue have a lot of patients that fall into the CEV category (I don’t) so they received a large supply of Pfizer, which had to be used or they’d go off. I got called to come in the next morning because all their staff are done so they’d rather just give it to a non-CEV patient.

My sister in Glasgow works for the local council in the building that just happens to be the local vaccination centre. She’s on a list of people who can come in at short notice and based on recent patterns it’s highly likely she will get jabbed this week. She’s 19 and completely healthy. 

I wonder if that's because people are either turning down vaccinations or if this is due to the 5 doses from a vial thing? Either way it's good that they can go to people that want/need them instead of being thrown away.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If you don't mind me asking how old is your Mum, she might be quite close to getting one?

If I hear anything more from my sister then I'll let you know.

oh, shes 60. so around a month away probably!

only if there is spares which are going to waste obviously! happy to wait normally

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

can we just bring them back to people that provide useful information , great photos , comedy ..... and simpsons memes ? ... in fact can we just bring them back ? 

Indeed, I think there’s been loads of great contributors to this thread. Not bothered about upvotes/downvotes, but I don’t really think the bulk of the thread has been the echo chamber it’s been portrayed as, plenty of healthy discussion as we all try to wrap our heads around a complex and very dynamic situation!

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder if that's because people are either turning down vaccinations or if this is due to the 5 doses from a vial thing? Either way it's good that they can go to people that want/need them instead of being thrown away.

I think most places have some doses that they try to fill at the end of days ..... some do not shows , some not liking the type of vaccine .... they get used but often from people that they can contact short notice ...

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think most places have some doses that they try to fill at the end of days ..... some do not shows , some not liking the type of vaccine .... they get used but often from people that they can contact short notice ...

How far are we from having a general reserve list where the non priority can register, to allow vaccination centres to work through. 
e.g. I only need x amount of notice to get to the centre 

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

How far are we from having a general reserve list where the non priority can register, to allow vaccination centres to work through. 
e.g. I only need x amount of notice to get to the centre 

id like it if that were categorised from the next priority group down the list ....  although we still dont know what will happen once group 9 is done ... free for all ? or frontline workers .... in my opinion its will be better to go with the former ...... give the jabs to those that are desperate for them ....