When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I'm fully expecting another lockdown in New Zealand by the end of next month. Three community transmissions of the SA strain and it seems to be incubating a while before symptoms show.

Three isn't a lot but these new strains have proven to be absolutely devastating. 100% for going hard and early.

51 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

I'm fully expecting another lockdown in New Zealand by the end of next month. Three community transmissions of the SA strain and it seems to be incubating a while before symptoms show.

Three isn't a lot but these new strains have proven to be absolutely devastating. 100% for going hard and early.

I thought you locked down last time after just one case?

How prepared is NZ should things get out if control? E.g. ppe, drugs, hospital training, staff?

Edited by Leyrulion

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The British variant was first detected in September, that was at a point when our levels of virus were at the lowest they’ve been since the beginning, so it’s not like it’s come from how we’ve handled the second wave here.

This is a global issue and variants will be popping up all over the place, it’s hardly the UKs fault that Portugal are having a tough time now from a variant that was about nearly 6 months ago, and visa versa for any other variants that pop up elsewhere.

Nearly all countries should have just had border closures, theres no use pointing fingers. They allowed people to fly in and out unchecked.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

How prepared is NZ should things get out if control? E.g. ppe, drugs, hospital training, staff?

Last time, the one case appeared in the community, but without anyone having a clue where it came from so there was a desperate scramble to backtrack the chain to find the source.

The cases this time have all been sourced to a single quarantine hotel, so there’s no backwards chain of transmission to look for.

NZ is screwed if there’s a major outbreak I think. I’m having post op physio therapy at the moment and my physio has run out of some very basic supplies of which “there’s none in the whole country”. Could be wrong though as it’s anecdotal only.

Edit: low supplies due to global demand up diverting supplies and import protocols backed up at the docks, container ships are queued up out to the horizon.

Edited by John the Moth

12 hours ago, Copperface said:

The initial AZ agreements were for 30 million and then just 15 million by August to be delivered to the UK

that article is confusing. It's dated October, talks about September in the future, and also gives a delivery date for 15m doses in 2020 (2020 - not 2021).

For a supposed fact check it appears to be a crock of shit.

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know their current lockdown status, but presumably if they implement something similar to us, they will be able to get a similar drop off?

This is a basic image of the current measures in place here over last 2 weeks.

And a breakdown of the current figures -

DGS SITUATION WEDNESDAY 27TH JANUARY 2021

(Figures in last 24 hrs shown in brackets)

Confirmed Cases: 668951 (+ 15073 / + 2.31 %)

Number of admitted in hospital: 6603 (+ 131 / + 2.02 %)

Number of ICU admitted: 783 (+ 18 / + 2.35 %)

Deaths: 11305 (+ 293 / + 2.66 %)

Recovered: 484.753 (+ 9268 / + 1.95 %)

Active cases: 172,903 (+ 5512 / + 3.2 %)

Note: Confirmed cases is second highest and deaths highest in a single day

FB_IMG_1611820027970.jpg

Edited by Paul ™
Typo

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that article is confusing. It's dated October, talks about September in the future, and also gives a delivery date for 15m doses in 2020 (2020 - not 2021).

For a supposed fact check it appears to be a crock of shit.

Clear enough to me. The article was written in October.

The September date is simply a quote from the May government press release

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-and-manufacturing-boost-for-uk-vaccine-programme

The August JVT letter adjusted the total down to 15 million sometime in 2020 (logically by end 2020)

As far as I remember the whole plan was to stockpile supplies even before approval was granted so they were always planning to deliver in 2020. In fact it was the basis of the parallel manufacture/trial policy which was a (worthwhile) gamble in order to have a supply of vaccine ready to go.

There are no inconsistencies really and can't see where any confusion arises.

I think then we started seeing info about 100 million doses being delivered to the UK by end 2021, which averaged out at 2m per week, which a lot of the rollout was based on.

I would hazard a wild guess that a great deal of pressure from somewhere has been placed on AZ and that is when it all went quiet, and suddenly the UK has its 100 million doses at the expense of.....?.

Edited by Copperface

A roadmap is surely by its nature dependent on milestones being achieved along the way and in a pandemic there is so much unknown about the future (e.g. what if vaccine supplies dwindle), so whilst it might help festivals understand a bit more, pressing ahead will still involve a leap of faith.

Unless the govt does backs its own roadmap with provision of event insurance, which is what I think they should do. 

25 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

This is a basic image of the current measures in place here over last 2 weeks.

And a breakdown of the current figures -

DGS SITUATION WEDNESDAY 27TH JANUARY 2021

(Figures in last 24 hrs shown in brackets)

Confirmed Cases: 668951 (+ 15073 / + 2.31 %)

Number of admitted in hospital: 6603 (+ 131 / + 2.02 %)

Number of ICU admitted: 783 (+ 18 / + 2.35 %)

Deaths: 11305 (+ 293 / + 2.66 %)

Recovered: 484.753 (+ 9268 / + 1.95 %)

Active cases: 172,903 (+ 5512 / + 3.2 %)

Note: Confirmed cases is second highest and deaths highest in a single day

FB_IMG_1611820027970.jpg

That looks like the same lockdown as the UK - surely that spike can't be driven by the Kent variant, unless they've only just implemented the above restrictions?

Edit: actually it looks a bit harsher than the UK.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not denying this story but for context worth noting that Owain Powell-Jones is a staunch Brexiteer and most of his posts are anti-EU, and some posts are demonstrably false.

Also Bild is a gutter press newspaper. 

True but Bild is also Europe's biggest selling tabloid. If pharmaceutical companies want to send the EU a message as to the consequence of an export ban, that'd be the place

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Nah first case was 28 February and we didn't shut down until 25 March when we were averaging 38 cases a day.

We're pretty prepared. Everyone is trained thanks to first lockdown. There's been extra pop up testing in the areas the three positive people are and extensive contact tracing has occurred. Anyone with symptoms or who was at the same place as them can get tested and every man and his dog has shown up to get a test. Almost nobody is taking this disease for granted, so we're extremely lucky. Our tracing app is also seeing a resurgence which is great.

I honestly feel so blessed to be a Kiwi right now.

3 minutes ago, Copperface said:

There are no inconsistencies really and can't see where any confusion arises.

You suggested someone else read it again. Perhaps take your own advice?

It's a fact check article titled "Confusion over Covid-19 vaccine plans".

The only facts its revealing is no fucker knows nothing and that article tells you nothing.

Just now, eFestivals said:

You suggested someone else read it again. Perhaps take your own advice?

It's a fact check article titled "Confusion over Covid-19 vaccine plans".

The only facts its revealing is no fucker knows nothing and that article tells you nothing.

I said it was speculation and nothing more. 

The timeline in that article is clear and straightforward though. I understand it OK.

And I've been saying for ages that there is confusion and lack of transparency over the vaccine supply which breeds suspicion and cynicism which you also agree with.