When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

@Toilet Duck Times now saying Oxford won’t be available till after Christmas 😕 concerning 

6BB27BCF-E1BF-4638-8FF5-892D1DD0A479.png

I guess we'll find out when they are good and ready! What I'd heard about the Pfizer one was that they were expecting to vaccinate frontline healthcare and the most vulnerable in the US in January, and have completed vaccination of the rest of the US by the summer (there's doses earmarked for other countries too, they don't all go to the US). Still no reason to expect that timeline to alter by much, maybe before Christmas, maybe just after it (head of Pfizer Ireland said something similar), but again, until they unblind their data and see if they have enough to push for emergency authorisation, we don't know. It's gonna happen (and the J&J, Novavax and GSK/Sanofi ones coming up behind them have the potential to be even better...Novavax now have pre-clinical data showing a degree of sterilising immunity with theirs (J&J already did, and Moderna now even suggesting this for their one too)). Also, interestingly, the Oxford trial is PCR testing participants weekly. It's not part of the trial in so far as what they learn from it won't impact on whether the vaccine gets approved or not (they just need to see a 50% reduction in disease for that), but it looks like they have tacked on a study to see if it has any impact on transmission (ie, any sterilising immunity...this would be the first evidence from a trial in humans that this is possible, so would be a big deal if it does...J&J, Novavax and Moderna have all seen this in pre-clinical animal studies, but not in their human trials yet). Everything is moving pretty quickly, we'll get there! (the recent announcement of how the Oxford vaccine looked in older age groups came from an interim analysis of one of their other trials, so this is why people are expecting something from them imminently). 

• Upvote 1

I really think people should have a look at the recent REACT 1 study into the virus prevalence in England, it’s really sobering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/29/covid-has-hit-critical-stage-in-england-research-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“We’re seeing a pattern in the south which is similar to what we saw in the north a few weeks back,” said Prof Paul Elliott, director of the programme at Imperial from the School of Public Health.

The Covid pandemic has reached a “critical” stage in England, with prevalence doubling since last month with the fastest increases in the south where the R number has risen above 2, research has found.

This backs up calls for proactive action in areas where cases aren’t as high as the North to prevent them from getting that way in my view. The data in the study hasn’t been confirmed but they were right a month ago. 

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I really think people should have a look at the recent REACT 1 study into the virus prevalence in England, it’s really sobering:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/29/covid-has-hit-critical-stage-in-england-research-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

“We’re seeing a pattern in the south which is similar to what we saw in the north a few weeks back,” said Prof Paul Elliott, director of the programme at Imperial from the School of Public Health.

The Covid pandemic has reached a “critical” stage in England, with prevalence doubling since last month with the fastest increases in the south where the R number has risen above 2, research has found.

This backs up calls for proactive action in areas where cases aren’t as high as the North to prevent them from getting that way in my view. The data in the study hasn’t been confirmed but they were right a month ago. 

Paul Elliott was just interviewed on the BBC news. Naga asked him what we need to do ahead of Christmas to let people visit each other and he said either further restrictions (wouldn’t be drawn on what) or see a change in behaviour.

Plenty of people on Twitter asking how long it will take the government to move anywhere in the south into tier 3...

Now, Jenrick is on there looking smug and useless.

Edited by Ryan1984

38 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

:( This is all feeling a lot like March. Government pursuing a strategy that doesn't work and scientists predicting disaster.

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I read this first thing, not looking good at all.  Southern here (wilts) as we defo have more local cases including some family members this week.  We really do need to act now, we should have acted already, what a shitshow. 

A circuit breaker of at least 2 weeks should have been announced last week. As we can see, yet again, this government is completely incapable of doing anything proactively. Another couple of weeks and a circuit breaker will be far too overdue and the disease will have ravaged everywhere. The South will begin to look like the North did a few weeks ago and it’ll be out of control again, country wide. 

I am expecting school attendance to be down next week when we are back in. Parents were panicking the last week of term because we had a positive case amongst the office staff. South Holland, the area my school is in, still only had about 29 cases per 100k around 3/4 weeks ago. I’ve just had a look now and it is 189 per 100k. Even an area as rural and, on the whole, as untouched by Coronavirus so far, even at its peak back in March and April, things have exploded there over the last two weeks. 

Edited by Andre91

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

A circuit breaker of at least 2 weeks should have been announced last week. As we can see, yet again, this government is completely incapable of doing anything proactively. Another couple of weeks and a circuit breaker will be far too overdue and the disease will have ravaged everywhere. The South will begin to look like the North did a few weeks ago and it’ll be out of control again. 

They also missed the opportunity to make use of half term, which was really stupid if they want to keep kids in school as much as possible. Having a circuit breaker then while kids were off (even for just one week of it) surely would have helped.