When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Tier 2 in London in my eyes is worse than full lockdown. No mixing And destroying the economy but places like Manchester birmingham etc have shown tier 2 doesn’t get the numbers down.

I think it’s full circuit breaker or nothing. I don’t like this in between state where you aren’t allowed to do anything but the numbers aren’t coming down either.

100% agree, either do it properly or don’t do it at all in my opinion, because as you rightly point out cases continue to go up, while businesses are destroyed in Tier 2. As let’s be honest only being able to go to hospitality with those you live with is going to dramatically reduce the revenue they bring in.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What would this "circuit breaker" even look like anyway? Starmer's proposal doesn't involve closing schools, and most schools only have a week or so half term - I initially though the entire point was to run it over half term and extend that a bit to minimise disruption but still close the schools.

Will it just be "can't visit other houses" then? I can't see them closing hospitality nationwide after committing to actually supporting places forced to close financially now. 

I guess Boris just says "everywhere will be tier 2 for the next two weeks" and then doesn't have to call it a circuit breaker?

I've always thought a circuit breaker (since I heard the term in this context anyway) meant total lockdown of all non-essential business for a short period of time. So March level but two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Essex also going in tier 2 which seems very weird given their low numbers. 

I live in Essex, numbers are low. I think it’s more down to potential overload to hospital capacity.

This mixing with other households indoors shite will be impossible to police here. People know the numbers are low so it won’t bother them in the slightest. Pubs won’t even care.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've always thought a circuit breaker (since I heard the term in this context anyway) meant total lockdown of all non-essential business for a short period of time. So March level but two weeks.

That would be more strict than March because non-essential businesses weren’t shut down (factories and the like were allowed to continue) 

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Is it just me? Why do I get the impression that the timeline for vaccine approval and widespread vaccination is being quietly pushed back. Now a read a representative of WHO saying the young and fit may have to wait to 2022 for vaccination. 🤔

You need to just step back from reading articles about it until the actual data comes back. Media outlets have figured out anything with the word 'vaccine' in it gets clicks and engagement and so there's daily flip-flopping on it just because they need to pump out as much content as possible.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

You need to just step back from reading articles about it until the actual data comes back. Media outlets have figured out anything with the word 'vaccine' in it gets clicks and engagement and so there's daily flip-flopping on it just because they need to pump out as much content as possible.

There was just a load of stuff about vaccines on BBC News. Something like the EU being told to start preparing their plans for distribution (I had the TV on in the background so don’t have any further info).

On 10/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, ace56blaa said:

Yeah i know it has a run of eah setting, very much like a theatre run. 

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY SECRET CINEMA IS BAD, just that I and many other don't see it as deserving as the highest amounts of funding when so many other places have been forced to shut. It's up there with large promoters, company responsible for tons of events and artists. 

It's great fun and yes provides employments for loads, (except the reported slew of unpaid volunteer actors) just sad that so much help has been given to something that is based on existing IP and fan culture, feels like more akin to a themepark than an arts funding recipient, - Though I concede seems to be popular on here for sommmmmme reason

seems like that view is shared by others.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/14/secret-cinema-bailout-arts-venues

In a similar vein, Resident Advisor is coming in for some shit.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/14/dance-music-platform-resident-advisor-defends-750000-government-grant

I also saw that Clash Music got £125k and another music website (I forget who) £10k. 

I chose not to get involved with applying, for a number of different reasons but including my hope that efestivals can get thru this just about OK. Plenty of others won't do, and in that respect I'm one of the lucky ones and I'd rather any help went elsewhere.

Not saying I agree with the rather large amounts some have got, tho.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty much, a short, sharp, shock to the virus that limits transmission and enables us to improves Test and Trace. Which we will of course waste because Tories gotta Tory. 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

This appears to be their first ‘wave’ as their numbers were very low back in the Spring. 

I was due to go to Ukraine next week and then potentially on to Georgia for the elections in those countries. Thankfully the FCO have now cancelled those observation missions due to growing spread in both countries. Can't say I'm heartbroken.

Although, where I live, I'm at far higher risk locally than travelling to both of those.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes, just means everyone stay home. But, Starmer said schools should be kept open...although we have half term coming up so that would be one week covered.

1 hour ago, BobWillis said:

Why are they using over 60 to now justify their lockdowns? 
Show us the over 70’s case numbers. 

Median IFR for under 70’s is 0.05%. 

Mrs L will take some convincing. She's currently got more under 60 patients & deaths than in the over 60!

Edited by Lycra
  • Like 1