When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I could move back to my parents house and therefore not have to comply with tier 2 restrictions in London and just commute to work instead 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not having a pop at you at all! One of my sisters in March moved back down from London and I was thinking the same thing. Is it fair in the area that people are moving too that was my concern?

Is it just me? Why do I get the impression that the timeline for vaccine approval and widespread vaccination is being quietly pushed back. Now a read a representative of WHO saying the young and fit may have to wait to 2022 for vaccination. 🤔

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Exactly, T&T only really works if you can realistically monitor every case 

And if you have near 100% compliance! We all know that the ship has sailed. 

My grandad who is 95 and in a home had a test yesterday. One of the carers tested positive this week and he has a bad cough (which he never has). Not looking good at all.

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Even if we had a fully working, fit for purpose Test & Trace system widely available, I just don’t think it would be very effective at this stage of the pandemic in this country.
I don’t think enough people would take it seriously and many would not isolate for the 14 days as they are instructed to do, for a number or reasons. 

Absolutely. It’s also impossible to properly  trace contacts of tens of thousands of new cases every day without the massive resources to support that. It is why you need to keep cases low, A suppression strategy if you will.

It is one of the reasons the UK is at this stage now though and have had a 7 day average go from 500ish  to 15k in 3 months. It’s not going to solve the problem you currently face, but it’s the best way to keep cases and deaths low if you do manage to get them back down, otherwise until a vaccine hits (or they give up trying to combat things which is just as likely) you’ll continue to go through theses open up/lockdown cycles.

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

☹️

I was just meaning about the bit you said "I’m just confused why people would download it and then not follow instructions" 

I downloaded it cos i had to do for my appointment, im not saying I wouldn't follow instructions but if someone had downloaded for a similar reason, but then wouldn't isolate due to work or whatever that could be why x

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not having a pop at you at all! One of my sisters in March moved back down from London and I was thinking the same thing. Is it fair in the area that people are moving too that was my concern?

No of course I was agreeing with what you were saying!! Partly why local restrictions are meaningless unless you physically close the borders in a local lockdown and don’t let anyone come out or go in.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If you think a circuit breaker will just be for 2 weeks, I have a bridge to sell you.

Make all university virtual until next year and keep what we have now. That'll keep numbers down long enough. 

The main issue is the gov are constantly pushing for in person university and students to be in halls.

Make all students isolate for 2 weeks, send them all home, all uni online. Problem sorted. Circuit break might not even be necessary if we fix the underlying issue in all of this.

Maybe 2 week circuit break would be good to close pubs and restaurants while students are isolating so they aren’t tempted to go out and spread the virus in the pubs.

13 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I only downloaded it because the salon i go to for my nails asked all clients to get it before attending their appointment. Thats the only reason i got it 

Yep, for a lot of people it'll purely be the convenience of not having to hand over details every time they go in a pub/restaurant/nail salon

3 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

I was just meaning about the bit you said "I’m just confused why people would download it and then not follow instructions" 

I downloaded it cos i had to do for my appointment, im not saying I wouldn't follow instructions but if someone had downloaded for a similar reason, but then wouldn't isolate due to work or whatever that could be why x

Ah fair enough ... I don’t need to set Dennis on you then :) 

36 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Seems to mirror a lot of the problems Victoria went through until they decentralised and put more autonomy in localised health teams (and stopped using pen, paper and fax machines.)

Yep which just goes to show it can be done. 

There needs to be a hands in the air we fucked up moment - move on fix the problems and address the fuck up afterwards.

That will never happen though it's to politicised from both sides (understandably) but I wish rather than spending time arguing we spent half as much effort trying to fix it.

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yep, for a lot of people it'll purely be the convenience of not having to hand over details every time they go in a pub/restaurant/nail salon

thats what i was meaning, you just worded it better :) thanks!

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ah fair enough ... I don’t need to set Dennis on you then :) 

Not this time :) 

42 minutes ago, st dan said:

Even if we had a fully working, fit for purpose Test & Trace system widely available, I just don’t think it would be very effective at this stage of the pandemic in this country.
I don’t think enough people would take it seriously and many would not isolate for the 14 days as they are instructed to do, for a number or reasons. 

Track and Trace would just need to be part of the solution - I think people would be more compliant with a system that worked (or even just one they weren't constantly told was shit). 

If it's dished out locally I think you have more chance of people actually knocking on doors and checking someone is home when they should be too. 

The country my friend lives in is effectively tagging new arrivals like when people are released from prison now it's a small country and its  got such small numbers that's possible and I don't for one second suggest we should do that - what we need to do is give people self isolating the means to self isolate provide them with an income if required, provide them with a means of getting food etc... All these things combined mean anyone not self isolating when told to do so should have the book thrown at them as there is no excuse then, now there are too many plausible excuses as to why Somone might break it (not that I condone it). 

It has to be a combined multi agency approach, multi tiered approach. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Entirely possible alright! Most of the vaccine trials have been pushing hard to build greater diversity into their participant groups. Pfizer had to increase their original accrual target significantly as they had nowhere near enough of different ethnic groups (all had good age profiles once they moved into phase 3). Participants with different co-morbidities have been included too, even those with chronic conditions that require long term use of immunosuppressants(so long as they can pause taking them for a bit). So we should get a good idea which ones are best for different individuals. We've been mainly watching the Oxford/Pfizer/Moderna group of vaccines (as that's what is being reported in the media), but to be honest, the Chinese vaccines look fine too and can probably help protect large parts of the world. Some of them are a lot easier to ship and store so will probably be used elsewhere. The Russian vaccine is particularly easy to ship (freeze-dried), and the safety profile looks as good as the rest of them (the immune response looks weaker though). This first wave of vaccines should help take the pressure off in terms of fatalities, with large vaccine manufacturers bringing up the rear later next year. 

This was something I was wondering about just yesterday. If someone is having chemo, potentially for some time, would they be a viable option for the vaccine? Or too dangerous due to lack of immune response? It sounds like potentially with a pause in chemo. Appreciate only speculation at this point, but would like to hear how common that is.

35 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

No of course I was agreeing with what you were saying!! Partly why local restrictions are meaningless unless you physically close the borders in a local lockdown and don’t let anyone come out or go in.

Haha fair play mate. It’s why it’s so important to get the people on board with you so that hopefully they do follow the instructions and we can get on top of the virus. 

Honestly I don't think this tier 2/tier 3 stuff is going to be relevant for much longer. Couple of weeks maybe? We will either all be in circuit break/lockdown or everyone will be in tier 3. So moving area is probably pretty pointless unless it's to be nearer to family you can see outdoors (or to join their bubble).

45 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Is it just me? Why do I get the impression that the timeline for vaccine approval and widespread vaccination is being quietly pushed back. Now a read a representative of WHO saying the young and fit may have to wait to 2022 for vaccination. 🤔

I don’t think so, as the young and fit were always going to be the last to get vaccinated, so 2022 makes sense I think, as it will take ages to vaccinate the whole population. I don’t think that will have an impact on when restrictions start to get lifted though, as once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated we should be good to start lifting restrictions given how low the risk of serious illness/death is to the young and fit 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Honestly I don't think this tier 2/tier 3 stuff is going to be relevant for much longer. Couple of weeks maybe? We will either all be in circuit break/lockdown or everyone will be in tier 3. So moving area is probably pretty pointless unless it's to be nearer to family you can see outdoors (or to join their bubble).

I’m potentially being whooshed here but are people actually moving for any other reason than to be nearer family? 

56 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I think the distribution globally was always going to be a big problem...but as long as can start getting the more vulnerable vaccinated early on then can start getting things closer to normality, but think we're looking at a few years before completely back to normal.