When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You'll have some like that, which then fuels people claiming that as an ICU ward has no COVID patients, COVID is a hoax (not saying that's your intention by the way).

Take this hospital which is now receiving patients, their COVID ICU was empty 2 weeks ago.

But it’s all about balance. You can’t just take the bad news that cases are increasing and therefore we’re inevitably going to end up daily death tolls seen back in the Spring - without also hearing that cases are rising, but hospital admissions are less frequent and severe, as is certainly the case with my wife’s experience. And cases have been bad here for a number of weeks now - not saying the turn won’t come (she’s fully expecting it will) but the staff are pleasantly surprised it hasn’t happened yet. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, st dan said:

But it’s all about balance. You can’t just take the bad news that cases are increasing and therefore we’re inevitably going to end up daily death tolls seen back in the Spring - without also hearing that cases are rising, but hospital admissions are less frequent and severe, as is certainly the case with my wives experience. And cases have been bad here for a number of weeks now - not saying the turn won’t come (she’s fully expecting it will) but the staff are pleasantly surprised it hasn’t happened yet. 

Oh yeah I understand, I don't think we will have deaths like we did in the Spring due to better treatment options. I'm more worried about longer term health effects that are kind of going under the radar at the moment. Even if hospital admissions are slower that doesn't necessarily mean we are out of the woods (again not saying you are saying that).

I saw some data (from that Oliver guy) that indicates COVID patients in the NW in hospital are on the same trend line towards the peak we saw previously. I'll post it below, the horizontal line is the previous peak.

EjA5l-7XYAU2j4C?format=png&name=small

25 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I reckon so too, 4000 yesterday just seemed suspicious. Especially when ZOE is estimating ~19,000 a day, to only be catching 20% of cases in testing would be very poor. 6000-8000 is more in the ball park of where the daily figures should accurately be at the moment I reckon, so the low number yesterday did surprise me

That 19,000 a day hasn't increased for the last few days. Potentially a positive sign!

14 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

That 19,000 a day hasn't increased for the last few days. Potentially a positive sign!

Yes it’s a good sign! Hopefully we might be down to r=1. But I expect the official gov figures to shoot up this week regardless as they really should be catching 30-50% of total cases, so 6000-10,000. But hopefully in reality transmission has slowed down. 

The gov may also still have a reporting backlog, which we won’t know about yet.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

When I returned from furlough, my boss banned all holiday until 1st Oct. So since we got back from NZ at the beginning of Jan (that was a tell timed break in retrospect!) have only bee naway from our flat in London for a week in Dorset and a long weekend with friends in Norfolk. If anyone has any recommendations for any cracking Oct/Nov UK holiday destinations, I'm all ears!

Obligatory plug for the Lake District!

There seems to be talk at the moment about having either an app or adding to the NHS COVID-19 app a feature where if you put in a post code it'll bring up the current restrictions in the area. This seems like a good idea as it can be confusing given all the different area restrictions.

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There seems to be talk at the moment about having either an app or adding to the NHS COVID-19 app a feature where if you put in a post code it'll bring up the current restrictions in the area. This seems like a good idea as it can be confusing given all the different area restrictions.

It is remarkably easy to do as well, I don't understand why the app doesn't update it's risk rating based on where you are, equally easy to do. 

But then again it only uses the first part of your postcode for some reason too.

All of the messaging at the moment is:

Hey the old world is gone, creative arts jobs are gone, any job not done in the pandemic not viable, 

Build back better means "We are fucking this country into the ground" but in 20 years everyone will have laboring skills

Edited by ace56blaa

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Build back better mean "We are fucking this country into the ground" but in 20 years everyone will have laboring skills

Basically fuck you working class. Get back in the pits where you belong. 

The problem there is that the Tories closed all the pits and the office and university boom came afterwards. A lot of people in the north started getting trained to do more office based jobs and realised that we can do the job better than the Eton etc students and now they don’t like what they have created. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

All of the messaging at the moment is:

Hey the old world is gone, creative arts jobs are gone, any job not done in the pandemic not viable, 

Build back better means "We are fucking this country into the ground" but in 20 years everyone will have laboring skills

This is kind of the point I was making after Sunaks statement in the HoC last week, why does the Government get to decide what job is viable? If those rich, out of touch Ministers decide a job in a Night Club isn't viable anymore because Clubs can't open bat the moment then that's it, they've gone. We could have a vaccine of some kind in 6 months and those jobs would be viable again. Sunak is dangerous, I can't stand him.

@RobertProsineckisLighter I presume the post code bit is for privacy?